Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 02:21 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks for the update, CFF, of how things are where you are.

I worry those who make the decisions are just not "getting it." That's why I quoted what NYC Mayor Bloomberg said about 2 weeks ago with a dismissive attitude and where he is today in understanding infection spread. Mayor Bloomberg now has schools closed and at least one critically ill educator. I believe it was MSNBC who had a lead article today of, "resurgence of H1N1 (or Swine Flu)", as the U.S. is getting close to 5K cases.

I do know what the CDC is saying about the incubation period. I was asking more of one of those scientific questions we all ask each other which essentially is to say, do we believe 7 days is the incubation period, or is it longer? Is that why we're seeing more infections now? Compared to it may be a 3-7 day incubation period, so what are the factors triggering round two of this infection in less than a month?

Hearing about the 5th U.S. death today, and the route of transmission this single father got infected, is difficult for me.

Here's a piece of information to think about: Not every state updates their own states 5 days/week let alone 7. So for states like UT where updates are only listed M-TH, since Gov. Huntsman went to a 4 day state workweek, is the lack of news releases or updated website info giving a mixed signal and confusing both the media and the public? I think in Utah's case the answer is yes.

Just to be clear, there are microbiologists and state epidemologists in UT working 7 days/week right now. But, they aren't updating information after Thursday afternoon until Monday morning. A lot can happen during that time.

Keep us informed how CA is handling things, CFF. I think common sense should prevail and at some point the school year should be over. What do the kids really learn from today to the last day of school? And would the parents love to have their kids in a swimming pool or picnic area etc. where other kids are also celebrating the end of the school year are who have been exposed to this virus?

MSR

P.S. Have the news on - just heard 3 more NYC schools closed. Now 6 schools closed given the "cluster" of infections.
Oops, looks like I left the Utah Dept. of Health out accidentally. They only release press releases Monday - Thursday. I personally think that has added to the confusion of when to re-open schools in UT, or people even knowing that their kids are at risk.

When news sites can't get fresh data, I'm concerned those who do the web updates think, "No news is good news." Not so in UT. One has to ask what day of the week it is.

What will happen on Monday if the number of cases in UT has "doubled" compared to the last Health Dept. release? While total cases may have doubled, the epidemology to be following would be more accurately followed if people realized there was no posting for Friday, Sat. or Sunday. So Monday's news release will contain info for 4 days.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:25 AM

Unhappy TX Man is the 5th U.S. Fatality

U.S. logs fifth H1N1 swine flu death, in Texas | U.S. | Reuters

"U.S. logs fifth H1N1 swine flu death, in Texas."

Limited info here. Other articles are clear this single father was infected by his child. What if someone had dismissed school early this year and slowed the spread of H1N1? Could this father still be alive?

MSR

Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up Some GREAT News!

Finally, we have some break throughts on H1N1 thanks to teams around the world working on gene sequencing. Our neighbors to the north have confirmed the case in Alberta, CA of the human having H1N1 (Swine Flu) and then the pig having H1N1 were indeed the same virus.

No, it's not good news that this virus can jump species as hosts. That is bad news and where new strains gain in lethality or ability to infect faster. It is awesome news that Canadian researches have cracked the sequence as anti-viral vaccines can now start production.

Good news that this strain of flu, at least in Round #1, is less virulent than regular flu during flu season. Bad news that it is more infectious or can be spread more easily.

news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-05/17/content_11390117.htm

Good info from U.S. researches that this flu only contains half of the genetic markers from past pandemic flu strains (17/34).

Props from me to GSK and other Pharmaceutical Companies willing to take on making an anti-viral vaccine for H1N1 along with their regular workload.

Long-awaited news from U. of Rochester using immunological studies that they were able to develop a mathematical model of when anti-virals are the most effective.

Best news: Many countries have developed their own rapid tests for H1N1. While we don't yet know the rate of false negatives or false positives; nonetheless it is a start. While all theories and early models need to be further proof in controlled studies, at least now it seems the WHO chief Margaret Chan has the attention of some in the world who need to be involved.

With the 3rd case of flu laboratory confirmed in China and Japan now reporting 42 cases of flu, no one in the world needs a rapid spread of this flu through Asia. As stated earlier Bird Flu (H5N1) is over 60% lethal. We can hope China has a very limited number of cases regardless of severity. Keeping H1N1 from to birds from humans will be a huge task. I wish the Chinese scientists and healthcare providers the best of luck in helping keep the world safe from a more lethal mutation of H1N1

MSR

Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Unhappy 6th U.S. Fatality Asked for NYC Schools to be Closed; His Suggestion was Dismissed.

I'm saddened to read about NYC Middleschool Assistant Principal who died this evening. First, I'm saddened to think another person has died from complications of this virus.

Secondly, I notice that Mayor Bloomberg, who didn't want to be bothered with this "minor virus," has now closed at least 9 schools.

Third, It's my understanding that this Assistant Principal requested through the channels that schools close a few weeks ago until the virus wasn't spreading at the rate it was then, which is so minor compared to now. He was laughed at, mocked by some and told "NO" in no uncertain terms.

How sad the one trying to spare lives by informing others lost his own life to this battle in the first wave.

Fourth, it is painful to read some of the ignorant and totally inappropriate comments following the annoucement of this gentleman's death. Some stating information such as, "could this virus be deadly," "hasn't it gone away," or "I thought we were done with this and we didn't need to think about it anymore," etc.

Finally, I do know some check this thread for updated information. Please share the new info with your friends and relatives. This first wave of the flu is very contagious. PLEASE take precautions and wash your hands often.

Also, please make sure any children you know are seen by a healthcare practitioner who can assess any symptoms your child may have.

My goal in this thread is to make sure those who live in, visit or have family/friends in ID are informed. Sadly, tonight that means another U.S. death to an NYC educator admired by many.

New York principal's death linked to flu virus, hospital says - CNN.com

The increasing numbers of infections worldwide is concerning many at WHO. Japan increased by 60 patients today.

Please stay well. Although we may not always agree about various issues, anyone who posts in the Idaho thread would certainly be missed by me. Please don't blow off these alerts and updates. I put them here for you, your family and friends.

MSR

Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Any update on the confirmed case in Rexburg? The article I read indicated that the subject had no contact with anyone who had travelled outside of the area.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Exclamation Idaho Has 9 Confirmed Swine Flu Cases

Given how the testing and confirmation of cases is going, we'll learn next week how many cases ID has had through this week. I'm happy patients are recovering, but how many others have been exposed in the process while laboratory samples were awaiting confirmation?

Watch this virus, it's hitting the younger population more than the normal flu virus does. The child that died in NYC last night was sick only one day, and was less than one year old.

Please seek medical care if anyone in your family, neighborhood, school or friends are sick. Many worry with the rate of infection Japan and other countries have, there will be a shortage of Anti-viral medications in the U.S.

And many worry the anti-viral medications currently available at some point won't work when this virus mutates again.

Nine swine flu cases confirmed in Idaho | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | Local & Regional (http://www.kidk.com/news/local/45404347.html - broken link)

Take care of yourselves and those who are important to you.

MSR

Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Unhappy MO man Dies - Swine Flu Blamed; NYC Toddler - Results are Pending,

I'm looking for a link that confirms a MO man was the 7th fatality in the U.S. to H1N1 flu.

The information is mixed about the child who died in Queens, only an hour after admission last night. Until the CDC examines the samples, no one will know for sure. This is an interesting read as NYC has since this was put online closed more schools.

I believe close to 20 schools are not closed in NYC.

Queens Newspaper New York - Queens NY News Paper- The Queens Courier > News > Top Stories > New York City eyes second swine flu death <br />as more schools close

How would YOU decide to keep your healthy child home from school rather than risk exposure to H1N1 flu? At what rate of students being absent would you be concerned?

At least people are FINALLY starting to ask questions rather than pretending this virus is going away, even in Round #1.

Stay safe~

MSR

Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM

Default 1st Death in Intermountain Region to Swine Flu - a Utah 22 Man

Many don't think the H1N1 virus is deadly or pertains to them. I've read many dismissive comments in the press and elsewhere.

When the first BYU-Idaho H1N1-positive patient was confirmed, local comments such as, "I guess we should pay attention to those warnings," or "Maybe there is something to all the hand washing," and other direct quotes from BYU-Idaho students greatly surprised me.

Will knowing a 22 year old male in UT died this morning from H1N1 Flu (Swine FLU) get the attention of more people that this virus can be deadly and is in the region? I don't know. Those who wish to remain in denial, will.

First Utah Death From Swine Flu Reported | KUTV - Utah News - 2News

ksl.com - Officials report swine flu-related death in Utah

Chose your own media source, which you trust the most to get your news. The press release is the same. And today's press release about H1N1 in the U.S. with close to 5,000 cases and a reported 8 deaths doesn't reflect the UT man and some of the other deaths that have not been confirmed yet by CDC.

CDC H1N1 Flu | CDC H1N1 Flu Update: U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

PLEASE, do not blow this virus off. Think about people you know who are high risk - pregnant women, children, institutionalized, those in prisons, those who have respiratory problems or chronic illness in general.

This 22 year old man had health problems making him higher risk than the average person, as identified by the CDC. Nonetheless, he had to be exposed to the virus which caused his death, by others.

Do you know if you have friends/family/business contacts and others who may have been exposed by the same person/people? Healthy people can be carriers, especially if they had mild cases of the disease and went to work, were at school etc. while still shedding virus to those around them. Does this regional death change your concern, given how many cases have now been identified in ID let alone neighboring states?

How many deaths does it take for each person to take H1N1 Flu seriously and consider what precautions s/he should impliment for themselves, their families, work colleagues, friends etc.?

PLEASE take care of yourselves! This flu is real and spreading. If deaths in WA state and now UT don't get your attention, I'm not sure what will. YOU may not be at risk if you contract the disease, but could you spread it to someone who may not have an immune system like your own? Say a cancer survivor, for example.

Do you want to be the one, identified by the local lab as the person who had contact with someone who died, and you had mild symptoms you didn't take seriously? What if you didn't stay home, or keep a child at home, when advised to do so, even if your/or a child's etc. symptoms were managed easily. Does it matter to you what role you may have played infecting others? Sometimes I really wonder if people understand the current risk and roll they play.

It matters to me if I've been exposed to this virus or potentially may expose others, without knowing it. I don't want to be the one who exposed someone high risk. A regional healthcare organization asked all providers to impliment level 5 precautions in their offices over 3 weeks ago. Having worn my N95 mask when being asked to by this healthcare chain, despite the odd looks and negative comments of some, to know I wasn't the carrier who exposed a man who now is dead.

No one has stated yet if his exposure was in his home, local community, a neighboring state etc.

My sincere condolensces to the family of the young man who lost his life in Salt Lake City this morning. And my best wishes, hopes and prayers to those who may have been exposed by healthy carriers who wouldn't stay home when the CDC and others advised people to do so.

MSR

Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Thank you MSR for keeping at us. I honestly think if folks don't get infection control training early in life then they just might never get it.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Thumbs up Right On, NCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Thank you MSR for keeping at us. I honestly think if folks don't get infection control training early in life then they just might never get it.
Well stated, NCM.

As long as the media downplays the story, why should people worry?

Thanks for "getting it," NCM about how many people are at risk.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho