Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 03:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

When I asked if anyone could translate Spanish earlier, it was because I'd read some info that just happened to read about UTAH in that information.

What a surprise (NOT) about this headline today in the Salt Lake Trib:

"Another Utah death linked to H1N1 flu"

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...458&siteId=297

The article says now 17 deaths in UT due to A/H1N1. We'll see if it remains at that number as the Spanish Publication I saw last week, but am not qualified to translate, had a higher number. I find it interesting that Spanish news source had info last week, that they published not only about Utah, but other states too. It seems information is being released in some odd ways, at least IMHO.

I'm sad to hear about this death as this female died two weeks ago and the info is just being release via UT news today. I've been quiet lately until public news announces new trends, pockets of outbreaks or deaths.

It is important to note in this article, the Utah Dept. of Health has made the shift to recognize pregnancy as a major risk factor. Thus, the article was clear the female wasn't pregnant.

I would still want to know what numbers of cases are being reported in southeast ID and northern ID as both areas border neighboring states where dozens of really sick people have been hospitalized. Despite some of the ignorant headlines I read, the risk of the current round of A/H1N1 is NOT over.

My condolences to this woman's family.

Take care of yourselves.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Lightbulb Lab Tests Officially Not So Reliable with A/H1N1

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Current quick tests for flu miss many cases of the new pandemic H1N1 strain, researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Thursday."

"The accuracy of the tests ranged from just 40 percent to 69 percent in detecting swine flu, the CDC team reported."

Flu tests miss many cases, U.S. CDC confirms | Health | Reuters

Well what do you know? I think I posted this information in June. Sorry to sound so jaded, it is just so frustrating to know facts and have to wait for certain people or pathways to have to validate the information, so it can be shared with more.

"The results showed that, although the (rapid tests) were capable of detecting novel A (H1N1) virus from respiratory specimens containing high levels of virus, the overall sensitivity was low," the CDC team wrote."

" The CDC's study gives one reason why: even if patients go to the doctor to be tested, and not all do, the instant test does not do a good job of detecting swine flu."

Bottom line, if you are sick, the current tests are not very reliable. Some sources estimate not even 10% of certain brand tests have been reliable for patient A/H1N1 testing.

When in doubt about test results, in this particular situation I'd encourage you to talk to your physician about treatment. Some of those who have died tested negative for A/H1N1 on every swab. That is why other tests started to be used.

The take home message is if you feel sick and your health care provider can't tell you what type of influenza you may have, check with another doctor, or keep going back to yours, but don't except the results of A/H1N1 tests from the brand names named in the article.

Take care of yourselves.

MSR

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Post Feds Announce Plans for Schools Re: H1N1

This is available from many sources. There is a second post I need to add and it is located from this newspaper, so it was easiest for me.

Feds Advice for H1N1 and Schools

"The bottom line, federal officials say, is that K-12 schools need to try to stay open. The H1N1 flu is better understood than it was last spring, when it was feared to be more dangerous. And the social costs of letting class out are high, triggering a ripple effect in communities. More children are unsupervised. Parents, including those who are health care workers, miss work."

" 'The decision to close schools is a local one and it is one of the most challenging for any school leader,' " said Janet Napolitano, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security."

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...359&siteId=297

H1N1 has many costs associated with it, and not just the cost of medical care or medicine.

You may want to think of how this information pertains to you now, so you have a contigency plan in place, if needed. Or, you can get one prepared.

Take care and stay healthy.

MSR

Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up AWESOME NEWS! - Idaho to Start Clinical Trials of H1N1 Vaccine

Just posted literally minutes ago:

"Trials begine in Idaho next month for swine flu vaccine."

Advanced Clinical Trials in Meridian will be conducting this particular study. One of 14 sites in the U.S.

Trails begin in Idaho next month for swine flu vaccine | KTVB.COM | Health | Boise, Idaho News, Weather, Sports & Traffic (http://www.ktvb.com/news/health/stories/ktvbn-aug1209-vaccine_testing.d2eecbf2.html - broken link)

GOOD NEWS IDAHO - finally the opportunity to learn more locally!!!!!

MSR

Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Lightbulb From the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) New Info for Cancer Pts. and Cancer Survivors and A/H1N1.

For those who have or have had cancer, some updated information about
H1N1.

"Infectious diseases are important causes of morbidity and mortality in patients with cancer. In certain cases, the malignancy itself can predispose patients to severe or recurrent infections. The National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) recognizes the importance of providing the latest information on treating these infections and has developed the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology(TM) for the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer-Related Infections. The NCCN Guidelines were recently updated to include information about the effect that the H1N1 virus, or "swine flu," may have on the diagnosis and treatment of cancer treatment-related infections."

The rest of the article is located at this link:

Medical News Today News Article

Plus, a bonus round I'm so happy to see clinical trials coming to ID AND UT!

Top 20 FAQs about A/H1N1

Medical News Today News Article

pimit2, this may be a good, general medical publication anyone can access to follow trends. I haven't forgotten about you.

I hope this information helps someone.

MSR

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Exclamation Four Percent of All U.S. Deaths to date have been in UT. Only 1% of the U.S. population is in UT.

This article is interesting to read. For me personally, to FINALLY have a director of a Utah Health Dept. state what I've been writing for weeks only solidifies what I've known more. Hopefully, for those of you who have read what I've researched, learned and lived through personally and professionally regarding the A/H1N1 experience, this article gives you furthern information to assess the accuracy of my posts.

[b]" (Davis County Health Department Director) Garrett noted the disease has hit Utah disproportionately hard. Though there were only 17 deaths in the state, they comprised almost 4 percent of fatalities nationwide from H1N1; Utah has less than 1 percent of the nation's population."[/B]

Four percent of those who have died in the U.S. to date resided in UT and not too far from the state lines to Idaho. That frightens me.

I still anticipate others deaths to be announced by UT, although I have to admit in looking at various states, it seems like some try to find any other reason for the death, in one specific example of which I'm aware, the CA trucker who was flown to UT, from a hospital in NV, was never added to UT's death total etc. To the best of my understanding, this unfortunate victim of A/H1N1 had his death certification issued in UT since he died in one of the hospitals that has cared for the most severe A/H1N1 patients; yet, the State of UT must somehow be "crediting" his death to his home state of CA, as his death has never, formally been announced to the UT media. Ironic to me, the media knew this man was flown to UT, by a Med Evac team, but I don't know that the media were told anymore. This is merely MY OBSERVATION and QUESTIONING of how data has been released to the public.

The article is short, if you get a chance to read it, just remember Davis County is immediately north of Salt Lake County and is home to cities such as: Bountiful, Layton, Syracuse etc. Just think "Lagoon area," and you've got the center of the county.

http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/articl...414&siteId=297

I hope this information helps others better understand why there has been such concern the deadly A/H1N1 could spread up the road to the ID border. The colder weather, which some complain about all the time, may have made the difference of why ID residents in southeastern who got sick haven't died. Plus, the MD's hopefully learned what the data from UT and treated patients and other exposed parties immediately, instead of waiting.

I have had people contact me via DM, which is perfectly fine. I'm not qualified to answer all questions, but do try to direct folks to resources in their area that could be helpful. I suspect that strong feeling I've had about A/H1N1 and UT being involved is being validated by more than just the relatives of victims or patients who live in UT. I'm soooooooooooo very glad, this virus didn't take any lives in ID to date! I hope it doesn't.!

Stay aware, prepare of how you would care for a person who is sick in your home, and take care.

MSR

Old 08-16-2009, 03:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
I personally am not excited about swine flu vaccine, and will not be allowing any school to administer this vaccine to my children. Just think, more for everyone else!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Exclamation I Agree, No "Automatic Immunos for Me" Without More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I personally am not excited about swine flu vaccine, and will not be allowing any school to administer this vaccine to my children. Just think, more for everyone else!
Apparently, per another thread I read here at CDF, I need to go through the office mail a little more closely. I have this habit of 1/3 doesn't make it past the front desk. However, it sounds like a really, really interesting letter was sent to a group of doctors recently.

If you want to know more, I think it is down in the Health Section and someone wrote about Swine Flu Vaccinations. Both sides of what I read are accurate, to the best of my memory.

GBS appears to have been the result of certain vaccinations. So if someone or a group of physicians are worried about certain side effects, why only inform one specialty?

I'm going to be busier than I thought looking through the mail. I might even open some of those letters that say CDC or U.S. Gov....well at least the CDC ones. I'm curious now what if what was reported in the other forum has been sent.

NCM, like my one friend who directs is the Medical Director for Infection Control at some hospitals has told me: He's hoping his own exposure to what probably has been mild H1N1, given what is coming, will help act to buffer or provide natural immunity against the worse presentations. That's my own personal hope for me too.

But, I totally agree. I wouldn't have an immunization or allow my child or someone for whom I'm responsible, just automatically give the three pronged injection at school. I still say a person should discuss with his/her physician and then research , research, research!

Good add.

Thanks!

MSR

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Exclamation Recommendations from a Boise FP of how to prepare for H1N1

I've been asked by several what they should stockpile or store for them to be prepared for a bad "second wave," of H1N1.

Fortunately, I can post this link and the words of a Boise Family Physician. Dr. Ted Epperly is the president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, which is a big deal. So Idaho residents can know an Idaho physician is giving recommendations that have been printed in U.S. News and World Report, Proud Parenting and other.

I don't know if anyone in the Boise section reads this or not. If anyone knows Dr. Epperly, it would be great to give him kudos for his work. At least I appreciate his work and may drop him a quick note to thank him.

There are many fine physicians throughout the U.S.; that being said, I do tire at times, of people living in very urban populations or with 'gators and such telling us what is appropriate in the Intermountain West. So I personally find this information useful for all (the 'gatorville crowd can get their clues from ID - not trying to pick on FL. I've personally visited "Gatorland," at Gainesville and when encouraged by a very enthusastic staff to "visit the prairie" on the way back to Orlando (a FL State Park: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paynes_Prairie), my underwhelming, western, "HUH? - Prairie, where?" Probably didn't seem to polite. But that trip to UF is a different story and not for this thread.

So back on track, it is just nice to have the nation looking to a leader from ID for Family Medicine.

Dr. Epperly does encourage families, and parents to plan and prepare per chance their children do get sick.

" 'Here are eight things families should do to get ready for swine flu, according to Epperly:'

"Stockpile food and medical supplies. Two weeks of food, common cold medicines such as ibuprofen, and tissues would be a good place to start, Epperly says. The idea is to be self-sufficient if schools and businesses are closed or if you want to stay home and avoid the risk of being exposed to flu in public places. Here's the pandemicflu.gov family pandemic planning checklist."

" 'Plan for school closures. Decide what the family will do if schools or day-care centers are closed, as they are in several states.' "

You can read the other six points Dr. Epperly suggests in the article at:

Prepare for H1N1 | ProudParenting.com

I'd like to read your suggestions too, of what you may plan to stockpile or store. As more and more concerns ariase concerns both some very serious complications of the H1N1 vacation (and I still have to go through my office garbage to see if our office got one of those silently-sent letters - will update when I know), and I believe debate is good as I'm not sure why the third part of the vaccination is needed.

So, many may opt not to get a vaccine, about which I have mixed feelings for different reasons. I believe it is their personal choice. I also know the critical care doctors in Utah were able to find the first common theme, in the state with the highest death rate in the nation, coming from patients who hadn't been vaccinated, due to their parents fears many years ago. And I'd trust any of those pulmonary docs with my life, I consider this particular group very, very skilled and wise. I also fear having patients in a waiting room, some who have been vaccinated and some who have not.

It's a hard call about vaccinations and one I'd encourage each person to seriously consider, consulting with your doctor and others you feel you may need to ask. Only you know what is right for you, given all of your own personal circumstances. Mandatory government vaccinations for anything worry me. Making an informed decision, realizing risks after researching more, is a different issue. No one can tell you who will have a reaction to a vaccination. Maybe no one in your family, maybe one child, but not another....who knows.

If more people aren't vaccinated, the odds of a greater number of people getting sick increase. What will you put away for your family that may be unique situation that others haven't thought of previously? For example, in a different thread here, I disclosed I'm deadly allergic to milk. It would be pointless for me to store any type of dried milk etc. for me. However, I have to compensate by storing more fruit juice, or other items to give me the nutrition milk would give to others.

Parents sometimes can't get their children to take medicine on "good days," and thus resort to using a pudding or ice cream topping etc. Can those types of things be stored?

What would you do that is similar to Dr. Epperly's plan or in addition to it?

I look forward to your posts, as this is one area about A/H1N1 we have total control. If and what we chose to store is up to us.

MSR

P.S. Remember, I have extra EpiPens. I will store extra EpiPens and extra medications of every medicine I have to take or anyone else in the household takes. How about you and your household?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM

73 posts, read 248,739 times
I noticed in the Idaho State Journal today Bingham Hospital has diagnosed the 4th swine flu case. Details on the victim such as age or sex weren't mentioned in the article. See page A6 of the Journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho