Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Humor always is helpful when coping with stressful situations. Thankfully, we have some real characters in the Idaho forum who help all of us through some of the difficult times. Where would we be without the comic relief of DR, Trace and others who can find something to laugh about in most situations?

I do hope what I'm adding actually posts, as I'm having difficulty even getting the words on here, let alone any smiles.

Did you ever think you'd see this headline:

"Flu-drugs-to-travel-on-alcohol-trucks"

Utah plans to make use of scheduled deliveries of alcohol throughout the state to also deliver anti-viral medications.

"Tequila and Tamiflu should be coming to a location near you on the same delivery truck in the next few weeks."

"That's the plan state health department officials have arranged with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to quickly transport current stockpiles of Tamiflu and Relenza for treating H1N1 flu to local health departments statewide."

Deseret News | State plans to ship flu-treatment drugs on trucks with booze

I hope this article brings a smile to your face as you make plans of how you will prepare for this virus.

More seriously, I read that there are concerns that any families or individuals who don't have access to a computer may not know what the symptoms of
H1N1 are, let alone more about the vaccines, and anti-viral medications.

If you know of a neighbor, a co-worker, relative or anyone else who may not have access to information the same way you do, PLEASE SHARE what you have learned. Please print out guidelines as they are the same for those with or without a computer.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 AM

73 posts, read 248,739 times
Blackfoot Morning News - H1N1 sickens Bingham County (http://www.am-news.com/content/view/137390/1/ - broken link)

Looks like Bingham County is dealing with a quick increase too.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Lightbulb I'm Not Surprised.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western gal View Post
Blackfoot Morning News - H1N1 sickens Bingham County (http://www.am-news.com/content/view/137390/1/ - broken link)

Looks like Bingham County is dealing with a quick increase too.
Western gal,

I think with school in session and some people not be aware to keep their kids and themselves at home when they are sick, well the word pandemic fits.

The initial reports out look like this won't be as deadly as feared, at least in the U.S. Who knows for the 3rd World Countires.

Good pick up. It helps to share all info we can here.

MSR

Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Exclamation Important Information about the Difference Between H1N1 Nasal Mist Vaccine and Regular Injectable Vaccine

"Swine Flu Vaccine Arriving, but Don't Line Up Yet"

The NY Times Filed (this story) at 12:55 p.m. ET

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- And we're off: Swine flu vaccinations begin Monday with squirts in the noses scheduled for some doctors, nurses and other health workers in Indiana and Tennessee, a first step in a hugely ambitious campaign to try to inoculate over half the population in a few months. But don't start bugging your doctor about an appointment just yet."

"This week's initial shipments to states are so small that, with a few exceptions for children, most states are reserving them for health workers so they'll stay healthy enough to care for the flu-stricken and vaccinate others."

"This is uncharted territory -- you really can't plan too far ahead to say, ''I'll schedule my shot on Oct. 16 at Clinic X.'' Only as shipments start arriving will local doctors, clinics, school vaccination programs and drugstores get word that their doses are coming and how much. Each state health department decides that."

"Q: Why is the nasal-spray vaccine arriving before the shots, and can I use either one?"

A: They're considered equally effective, but the maker of the squirt-in-the-nose FluMist was able to finish brewing sooner. There is an important difference, though. Flu shots, made of killed flu virus, are for anyone without an egg allergy. FluMist, besides the egg issue, is only for use in healthy people ages 2 to 49 -- no pregnancy or underlying conditions. It's made of live but weakened flu virus. So some people on the first-in-line list for the new H1N1 vaccine aren't eligible for FluMist.

There is other useful information is in this article, IMHO, including how many injections children MAY have to potentially have to receive. I emphasize the word MAY as I don't believe all that data is analyzed yet.

I encourage all to take the time to read the rest of this article. I'd seen an abbreviated version elsewhere, but was able to backtrack the AP writer to where they published her work as it was entirey written.

BTW - the AP Medical Writer's name is: LAURAN NEERGAARD. Some may want to look for her earlier and subsequent work.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...ne-Flu-QA.html

Take care of yourselves. I believe this virus and others are already keeping healthcare providers busy. It's only going to get worse.

I'm posting a sign on our office door that says "NO VIRUSES ALLOWED." I hope all know that is a joke. I probably will post it, but of course people will walk through the door who are ill, unfortunately.

I encourage everyone to prepare what they would need at home if everyone in their family were to get a really bad virus. Prescriptions medications can't necessarily be stored, but fluids like Gatarode, Pedialyte, or whatever your favorites are, can be. So can broth and basics for people who just generally feel sick. Plus, most are reporting fevers, so you may want to consider getting extra of whatever you utilize for fever reduction.

Information is knowledge, and with knowledge one can make informed decisions.

MSR

Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
"Tequila and Tamiflu should be coming to a location near you on the same delivery truck in the next few weeks."

"That's the plan state health department officials have arranged with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to quickly transport current stockpiles of Tamiflu and Relenza for treating H1N1 flu to local health departments statewide."

I would be careful with giving tamiflu to children. It has the same property's as the street drug Angel Dust. A lot of children/people are having bad reactions to it.

TAMIFLU: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Exclamation A Tremendous Amount of Experience and Pediatric Patient Days Obtained in Last 6 Months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I would be careful with giving tamiflu to children. It has the same property's as the street drug Angel Dust. A lot of children/people are having bad reactions to it.

TAMIFLU: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments
Hi Morphous01,

I agree Tamiflu and children are not as well as known to some as others. Obviously, a physician has to prescribe the medication so s/he feels the benfits outway the risks. Each sick patient is different.

What you added has less than 400 comments and includes many adults. I think it is important to include that FACT when posting a general chatboard of patients/ or family members describing Tamiflu. Is there a patient/family chatboard for the thousands who had no problems.?

I'm not nearly as concerned about kids getting Tamiflu as I was six months ago. I've seen six months worth of data and cases.

Still, parents must decide for themselves what is right for their children. There is information available for parents and the first contact should be their child's doctor.

Morphouos01, what have you found about the thouands of children who were given Tamiflu the last six months? Would you please post that here as well? I have to say I think your post is a bit skewed, so finding the other information will help balance out what you posted. I do think people should be aware, but how many of those who posted even contacted their doctor to ask what to do?

So many of the side effects listed could have been decreased or medication decreased, IF the prescribing MD had been notified. Do you know the correct dose of Tamiflu for various ages? If there are side effects, do you know how to handle them via the Tamiflu? Please, do share your personal/professional experience.

I'm not trying to come do too hard on you, but we've worked to make this a board based on FACTUAL INFORMATION, not national post boards of individual experiences, where there is NO PROOF that I could see, the prescriber was even notified what the patients (LOOK AT THE AGES - 77 is not a child) were experiencing anything they thought was unusual. Additionally, how did patients know symptoms were due to Tamiflu vs. the H1N1 virus?

I look forward to the facts, Morphouos01. Per chance you plan on posting the PDR information, be prepared as you'd better totatlly be very well versed in discussing which parts matter in the PDR and which parts are not that important. If you know, by all means.....share.

Glad to have this discussion going on here too. Risks, side effects and what can be done are important to discuss. But, let's do it responsibly instead of based on people of all ages writing their symptoms without their providers being consulted.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 10-05-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Lightbulb "Vaccine recommended even for those who've had swine flu"

From KSL TV:

"Vaccine recommended even for those who've had swine flu"

October 5th, 2009 @ 1:34pm
By Andrew Adams

"SALT LAKE CITY -- Health workers at the Utah Department of Health say even if you think you've had the swine flu, you likely still want to have a swine flu vaccine."

"The bottom line is even if you've got some immunity to the H1N1 virus, getting vaccinated is not going to do you any harm," Hudachko said."

The rest of the article and audio is at this link.

ksl.com - Vaccine recommended even for those who've had swine flu

MSR

Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 AM

73 posts, read 248,739 times
Well, too late, it got me. I've had what appears to be the flu the last 2 days pretty good. Body aches, headache, dry, scratchy throat, nasty cough. Very tired too. I'm not going in to be checked, I'm hearing varying stories that I won't be tested if I'm not a pregnant female or a child, so I guess I'll stay in. Thought I was being pretty good with hand gel, avoiding sick people, washing, etc. - but someone somewhere gave it to me. Stay well all, this one of the nastier coughs I've ever had.

Someone also told me the regular flu isn't going around this area right now, only swine flu. Any truth to this statement?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Lightbulb Only Your Doctor/Health Care Provider Will Be Able to Assess Your Entire Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western gal View Post
Well, too late, it got me. I've had what appears to be the flu the last 2 days pretty good. Body aches, headache, dry, scratchy throat, nasty cough. Very tired too. I'm not going in to be checked, I'm hearing varying stories that I won't be tested if I'm not a pregnant female or a child, so I guess I'll stay in. Thought I was being pretty good with hand gel, avoiding sick people, washing, etc. - but someone somewhere gave it to me. Stay well all, this one of the nastier coughs I've ever had.

Someone also told me the regular flu isn't going around this area right now, only swine flu. Any truth to this statement?
Western gal,

Sorry to hear you are sick. I'd really encourage you to contact your doctor. Even if you aren't tested, there may be treatments your provider can prescribe for you to lessen your symptoms. Especially, if your doctor knows about your cough. When you say "tested," do you mean in the doctor's office or labs drawn to send to the state lab? Medical practitioners don't draw labs, unless they think there is a reason to do so, especially with
H1N1. However, that doesn't mean your doctor might be able to relieve some symptoms.

The problem is guessing if this is viral or bacterial. Only your doctor/provider can assess your different symptoms. That may include getting lab tests to determine what s/he thinks is going on with you. Blood counts down often times in a physicians office can give your doctor a hint of whether you have a bacterial infection or other type of infection.

The CDC data ending for last week shows ID not as bad as WA or WY, but "Regional" for Spread of H1N1. However, I think that status will change when this week ends.

Flu.gov H1N1 and seasonal flu map (http://www.flu.gov/whereyoulive/healthmap - broken link)

However, that is making the assumption you have H1N1, which no one here is qualified to do. Yes, there are other viruses out there.

Usually, doctors don't put the patient through the expense of getting all the subtypes of flu. For example Strain A can have lots of different sub-groups. What does it change in the long run to know you had a regular virus that made you feel crummy, vs. getting medical care to make sure you don't have H1N1?

I'd strongly encourage you to at least call your doctor if not go in. Make sure you tell them all the symptoms you listed here.

Good luck getting well from whatever bug has you under the weather.

MSR

Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 AM

Lightbulb This Discussion May Help Sort Through Some of the Confusion....

KSL had a live online chat with two physicians (one a practing pediatrician - that I know quite well and one licensed OB/GYN, although I don't think she is practicing currently), the Utah Dept. of Health, and former HHS Secretary, Gov. Mike Leavitt to answer questions about H1N1 vaccinations.

You can also click on the transcripts from Dr. Mulvihill as well Gov. Leavitt. They are in the upper right hand corner of this.

Here is a portion of that chat:

"Q: What are the possible complications with the H1N1 vaccine? I have heard some pretty bad things about it. Has it been tested, and do we know for sure if it is safe? -Ryan, Logan "

" 'Dr. Lei: All vaccines that are approved by the FDA go through stringent testing prior to release. These H1N1 vaccines have already been given to thousands of adults and children in clincal studies. The recipients often have up to 3-5 blood draws during the study period and are monitored by clinical diaries, following which all data is collected and distributed to the FDA, which reviews the data and determines the vaccine effective and safe for the general public.' "

" ' Utah Dept. of Health: We expect the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine to have a similar safety profile as seasonal flu vaccines, which have a very good safety track record. Over the years, hundreds of millions of Americans have received seasonal flu vaccines. The most common side effects of flu vaccinations are mild, such as soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where the shot was given.' "

" 'If these problems occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days. Life-threatening, allergic reactions to vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it is usually within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot is given. After the swine flu vaccine program in 1976, there was evidence that a few people had a serious neurologic condition called Guillain Barre Syndrome. Research indicated that it may have been due to the vaccine in some people - about 1 in 100,000 persons vaccinated. Since that time, researchers have continued to study whether influenza vaccine causes Guillain Barre Syndrome. Results of studies have been unclear, but if it occurs as a result of vaccination, it is very rare, affecting about one in 1 million people who receive the vaccine.' "

" 'After vaccination, you should look for any unusual condition, such as a high fever or behavioral changes. Signs of a serious allergic reaction can include difficulty breathing, hoarseness or wheezing, swelling around the eyes or lips, hives, paleness, weakness, a fast heartbeat or dizziness. If any unusual condition occurs following vaccination, seek medical attention right away. Tell your doctor what happened, the date and time it happened, and when the vaccination was given. Ask your doctor, nurse, or health department to report the reaction by filing a Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) form. Or you can file this report yourself through the VAERS Web site at Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. You may call 1-800-822-7967 to receive a copy of the VAERS form. VAERS is not able to provide medical advice.' "

ksl.com - User Feedback: H1N1 flu and vaccine

I hope this answers some questions (when you read the entire transcript/discussion). It was a bonus for me to personally know one of the physicians so well.

MSR -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho