Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 AM

27 posts, read 95,138 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Mountain Home. Wife and I are 50 years old and I'm retired US Air Force. We live in the Southeast US right now and allergies are a problem. Mainly pine, mold and pollen allergies.

1. Is Mountain Home a good place to live if afflicted with these allergies?
2. What about hiking opportunities? How far to "get away from it all" in the mountains for a day hike?
3. Trout Stream fishing? How far away for good trout fishing in streams/creeks?
4. Hear there is no "Home Improvement Stores" like Home Depot. How long a drive is it to buy a bunch of plumbing supplies to rework a kitchen sink for example.
5. Boise Airport: Is it easy to get flights out without having to spend an arm or leg as opposed to living in say, Ogden Utah?

Thinking about Ogden UT and Great Falls, MT as an alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:07 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
Default No mountains there.

Have you ever been to Mountain Home?
If you haven't forget it's name.
There are no mountains there.
It's in the middle of a deserty sage brush area.

The air can get a bit dry and dusty.

It's a little under an hour to drive to Boise.
Boise has a good airport, with reasonable prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
Thinking about moving to Mountain Home. Wife and I are 50 years old and I'm retired US Air Force. We live in the Southeast US right now and allergies are a problem. Mainly pine, mold and pollen allergies.

2. What about hiking opportunities? How far to "get away from it all" in the mountains for a day hike?
4. Hear there is no "Home Improvement Stores" like Home Depot. How long a drive is it to buy a bunch of plumbing supplies to rework a kitchen sink for example.
5. Boise Airport: Is it easy to get flights out without having to spend an arm or leg as opposed to living in say, Ogden Utah?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Topknot, I retired from MHAFB in '97. I enjoyed my time there and we did consider remaining in the area (lived in Boise). (An overseas job for my wife lured us away) IMHO, competition for base services would be less than at Hill, I believe. (Haven't been to Malmstrom) Not sure about the allergies issue; we had no problems there but my wife suffers here in the Wright-Patt area... Unless a Home Depot or Lowe's has opened since we left the base, the only thing Mountain Home had was a smaller "Do-it" Center. Boise, of course will have a large selection of home Improvement stores. Fishing, hiking and anything else you want to do is either locally or not too far away. Nearby C.J. Strike Dam has a rec area run by MHAFB. We flew in and out of Boise's airport and found fares reasonable (for it's location) Flight availability was good, as well. Best of luck in your research!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoReturn View Post
Have you ever been to Mountain Home?
If you haven't forget it's name.
There are no mountains there.
It's in the middle of a deserty sage brush area.

The air can get a bit dry and dusty.

It's a little under an hour to drive to Boise.
Boise has a good airport, with reasonable prices.

That is strange. When I drive through Mountain Home on the Interstate to Sun Valley I see mountains in all directions and there are some tall, craggy, snow capped peaks you can see just north of the interstate (visible towering over a lower ridge of mountains) before you enter Mountain Home from Boise. The city itself is on a plain (flat ground) but there are definately mountains visible in all directions. Within 20 minutes drive of Mountain Home heading to Sun Valley you actually enter the mountains. True the town itself is not "in the mountains" but it is "by the mountains".
If I was looking for a town near Boise to live in I would look West of Boise rather than East. The Western metro area is beautiful and full of lush farmlands.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
This is true, you can see mountains... but, Mountain Home is not on a mountain or in the mountains.
Originally, the town was 8 miles from the Mountain Home of today... but, they moved the town to "Rattlesnake".
They then, changed the name to Mountain Home.
If it wasn't for the Air Force Base, the town probably wouldn't be as big as it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
That is strange. When I drive through Mountain Home on the Interstate to Sun Valley I see mountains in all directions and there are some tall, craggy, snow capped peaks you can see just north of the interstate (visible towering over a lower ridge of mountains) before you enter Mountain Home from Boise. The city itself is on a plain (flat ground) but there are definately mountains visible in all directions. Within 20 minutes drive of Mountain Home heading to Sun Valley you actually enter the mountains. True the town itself is not "in the mountains" but it is "by the mountains".
If I was looking for a town near Boise to live in I would look West of Boise rather than East. The Western metro area is beautiful and full of lush farmlands.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 AM

7 posts, read 33,546 times
Default I know about Mtn. Home, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post

I know this message is getting to you a little late but I want to comment anyway. Mtn. Home is set in the desert part of Idaho. During some of the wind storms you can find tumbleweed walls up against your house. It's a small town right off the interstate about 40 miles from Boise, it doesn't have a Home Depot(that's in Boise). It has a small hospital, but if you need it for anything crucial than it's safer to travel to St. Lukes in Boise. My mom had the same kind of allergies-she lived on base with my sister, and it was hard for her at times, but she was used to living in Ontario, Oregon (about 2 hrs. north of Mtn. Home), not as deserty as Mtn. Home, but caused some allergies.
If you like to go to the bases to shop, I would just live on the outer part of Boise that's not far from Mtn. Home, but close enough to travel. The base is about 10 miles from Mtn Home itself. Good luck on your decision.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 103,389 times
TopKnot

PLEASE PLEASE check out Great Falls before you move there - it's AWFUL !! Plateau, windy living and the stench (yep not smell!) from the oil refinery is really bad. The people are friendly enough but the employment choices are not great. The base there, Malmstrom AFB, doesn't offer much, and it is hard to get appointments even as deps. It's just over an hour to Helena (not even worth the drive) and 4-5 hours (dep. on weather) to Billings, which has more to offer retail wise. My hubby loved the fishing though and yes the gateway to the mountains is close by (30 mins) and quite lovely.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 95,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishbloom View Post
TopKnot

PLEASE PLEASE check out Great Falls before you move there - it's AWFUL !! Plateau, windy living and the stench (yep not smell!) from the oil refinery is really bad. The people are friendly enough but the employment choices are not great. The base there, Malmstrom AFB, doesn't offer much, and it is hard to get appointments even as deps. It's just over an hour to Helena (not even worth the drive) and 4-5 hours (dep. on weather) to Billings, which has more to offer retail wise. My hubby loved the fishing though and yes the gateway to the mountains is close by (30 mins) and quite lovely.
ScottishBloom: I lived in Great Falls for 6+ years and loved it. In the last 4 months we had all but decided to move to Great Falls. Then the job fell into my lap at Mountain Home. Thanks for your words of wisdom on Great Falls. Goes to show you the old statement of "diiferent strokes for different folks" remain true to this day. Hopefully I will enjoy Mountain Home at least half as much as I enjoyed Great Falls...then I'll be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: