Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:24 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
'Loid, I'll go a long way on this one with you. I've only been out here nearly three months. Lot of rain at first but easing off some now. I asked some folks here, since everybody seems to retire and move here "Where do people from here retire to?" and the answer was always "Someplace Dry!".
And don't let me stomp all over Idaho's grapes - I knew plenty of folks who absolutely loved being able to hunt jack-rabbits in the deserts. I used to be a desert-dog myself - but I've worked them all and have no need of them any longer - including eastern Oregon. I'm thrilled to be back at the coast after decades away - and I can say one thing you can't argue with (I hope) and that is - "Idaho ain't got no Whales!"
The panhandle of ID down to the south edge of the Sawtooths is absolutely beautiful and wild. I'd been living in Utah when I went up there camping and many folks wouldn't believe me. It's really like parts of Wyoming and MT though - 45 below, no towns, no jobs, no way to really live there but a great place to camp! My favorite was a place called "Redfish Lake" for a couple of days at a time.
You might be the first person I've known to talk highly of Boise. I used to drive a truck into there before I moved to Idaho and then, only went there for meetings. Idaho was fine by me until I lived there = except prior to that I'd had to deal with Idaho Falls and that area - didn't care for it but it's the best shopping in Western Wyoming. (* (I didn't leave Wyoming because I liked it)). Once I stopped working the mountains and deserts in the early 90's, the entire area changed for me and now, it's just a matter of learning to like civilization again.
So, party-on, Spudho. Many folks love it - and a lot of new transplants will enjoy it too - but I don't miss it one iota - even near Burley where the Snake is nearly as wide as a river back east, where I grew up.
Glad I got you to spell out some great comparative points though.
Again, Peace.

You are entitled to your opinion and maybe you used to get into hunting jackrabbits when you lived in the desert state of Utah? I checked out Utah before deciding on Boise and Utah was too treeless for me. If you don't like Boise that is fine. But have you been just north of Boise? The forests around the Sawtooths continue all of the way to just north and east and west of Boise.
Massive forests with some of the clearest rivers and best whitewater you will ever see. What is with the term Spudho? I could go off on the extreme amount of white trash in Portland but I won't.
Strange that I am the first person you know to talk highly of boise--I see Boise talked highly of all over this forum and in the press, and everyday amongst fellow residents who fled the dirty, teenage, drug ridden streets of Portland.
And the funny thing about living in Boise is I don't feel like we are in the desert. The city is lush, very lush, and the whole valley is relatively green because of the ag land west of boise.

Peace out bro after all today is 4:20!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and maybe you used to get into hunting jackrabbits when you lived in the desert state of Utah? I checked out Utah before deciding on Boise and Utah was too treeless for me. If you don't like Boise that is fine. But have you been just north of Boise? The forests around the Sawtooths continue all of the way to just north and east and west of Boise.
Massive forests with some of the clearest rivers and best whitewater you will ever see. What is with the term Spudho? I could go off on the extreme amount of white trash in Portland but I won't.
Strange that I am the first person you know to talk highly of boise--I see Boise talked highly of all over this forum and in the press, and everyday amongst fellow residents who fled the dirty, teenage, drug ridden streets of Portland.
And the funny thing about living in Boise is I don't feel like we are in the desert. The city is lush, very lush, and the whole valley is relatively green because of the ag land west of boise.

Peace out bro after all today is 4:20!
Now, that's funny! My son called me today from Ohio about the 4/20 thing.
Well, it sounds like you haven't spent a lot of time in Utah ... er ... the forested parts. The only jackrabbit I ever shot was in Ohio but I did eat some Idaho rabbit - a couple of co-workers went out all the time.
The areas to the north of Boise - if things are still that way - are booming. They were about 10yrs ago, anyway. I can't recall the names of the mentioned towns ... seems like Eagle was one of them.
There are some basics to mention based on some of your input:
1)To a person from the east, none of the intermountain west has trees, they have "sticks with leaves". Now, I've sat in and walked in and climbed in every part of the Rockies - did it for a living for 13 years - was helicoptered in - I do have my favorite spots for that sort of thing although none are in Idaho.
2)When you find yourself living in what I will call "the suckiest part of the state", one's impressions can go waaaay downhill. Same with Wyoming. I lived and worked the Tetons, Gros Ventres (GroVons), Absarokas, Big Horns, Wind Rivers and the Uintas (which are actually in Utah but on the line). However, I ended up living several years in a SW WY town which is every bit exciting as say, Rupert. Many trips to Sun Valley, many to Poky (pocatello) and summer is about the only time one can head up and over to Stanley and beyond. Great place for Bear hunting, by the way.
Now, "'Loid", let me try this one more time and you can go post what you want about Idaho as I often post to the good regarding Twin Falls and even CouerD'alene. The thread is "Do you miss Idaho". My answer continues to be "No". Argument over. I didn't really pop in here to dis Idaho and it's mile-hi clouds of dirt from the sugar-beet fields or it's stinky processing plants.
But, since you noticed, here are some other, affectionate terms for towns around the state (learned from the people of Spudho): Double-Spud Falls (Twin Falls) Spud Falls (Idaho Falls) and Spudbert (Rupert). Can't say things about W. Idaho as I don't believe they grow any 'taters over there.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Do I miss Idaho! Yup! Would I want to go back? Only if I were independently wealthy and didn't have to drive a truck (I HATE putting on snow chains... ) Idaho was a wonderful two years of my life. Was sent there by the USAF and retired from MHAFB (an AWESOME base and job situation for me! ) We loved the outdoors (despite being "City Slickers" ) Made many friends, some of whom we're still in touch with. As for my situation now, I doubt I could buy my house in Boise for twice what I paid for it here in Ohio...

Old 04-22-2007, 12:33 AM

26 posts, read 173,121 times
NO, I don't miss Idaho. I was born and raised in Rigby, Idaho - left there 13 years ago and have been living in Western Oregon ever since. I don't miss the lack of humidity, the windy summer, the icy roads, cold temperatures, snow etc. in the winter. I remember going over to Eastern Idaho in December of 2006 for my grandfather's funeral. It was 10 below outside... just plain freezing.

I do get sentimental when I go through Sun Valley as that is where I met my spouse. And I do have some fond memories of the Island Park area as well as Galena Summitt/ Smiley Creek area. And on clear days you can see the Grand Teton from my parent's house. It is o.k. to visit Idaho for me, but I don't know that I would enjoy living there again.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,080 times
Unhappy I want to come home!!

I do miss Idaho! My parents moved me to Michigan from Wendell when I was 10 and I havent felt like I was home since then! I am 28 now and would love to go back! I remember the house we lived in on the bobarton highway and I remember my faher driveing truck for montana express when Mr. Ambrose still owned the company!! I wish we would have never left!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM

12 posts, read 81,931 times
Sorry I daho is a love it or hate it state I guess. I for 1 love it. Wyoming you couldn't give me. Must be a real loner to love it there. As for me I like both times when I can get away from people and times to enjoy people. lots of the old desert is gone to houses and farms now which is ok as we have to eat but its rapidly getting over populated.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 18,175 times
i miss idaho alot. not just how beautiful it is with the mountains, and the falls (i grew up in twin falls). i miss the down to earth people. currently i live in california and every day im here i miss idaho more. what i miss the most is the color green!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,285 times
I miss the mountains. Not visiting them, but seeing them in the distance.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 PM

18 posts, read 34,467 times
Im 21 and from New Zealand and I stayed in Rupert/Burley for a month with friends and loved Idaho. This was in 2003 and i still miss it, im coming back in a few months time!! people were so friendly, they loved my odd accent, i met half of rupert while i was there, honestly so many acquaintances and their friends visited specially 2 meet me and had so many offers to go sight seeing with people id only just met haha cool times.........also is the burger chain "Burgers Etc" only in Rupert and Burley?? Soooo gooood.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Well my cousins used to live there and miss it. They moved to Maryland 10 years ago and have been back there once though they lament the fact that Californians are moving in and changing the pace of life and the overdevelopment there. Same thing here in Maryland with NY transplants. Well at least ya'll have Californians while we got New Yorkers and Jersey ppl.

I've visited Boise twice and loved it. It seems like the perfect all-American town to raise a family in with low crime, friendly people, a much more human scale compared to bigger cities. I was surprised Boise's is in a desert since most of Idaho is really mountainous and forested. I loved the desert landscapes but maybe cause that was new for me (going anywhere out west...Nevada, Arizona, Utah...still feels really cool).

Ya'll are really fortunate to live in a place like Idaho, especially those who lived there all your life. The thing about the West is that I want to move there but I'm also considering the South since while I think the landscapes are beautiful I've always grown up around a lot of green and trees in Maryland and Louisiana so I'm not sure if it will get old with all the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho