Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
I have made it through 28 winters of 150 + miles per day in the killer Tule fog.
Thank heaven for retirement.
I'll take southern Idaho weather anytime.. I Can't wait for snow and ice

DR I should not read your replies when I've been drinking, I had you like well aged thinking you survived a 150 winters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 21,228 times
Default Idaho temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage44 View Post
Thank you for the weather info! I find it interesting, I figured the panhandle would be just cold and snowy all the time being close to Canada, it appears I am mistaken! Though it does sound a little more dreary.

Drifting snow sounds very unsettling! I have experienced Tule Fog in Calif. The same applies, you cannot see the road, the lines or the side let alone past your windshield! Very nerve racking!

Nice to hear about the humidity!
S.E. Idaho is a lot higher (elevation) than Northern Idaho. Idaho Falls is 4700 ft. and Bonner's Ferry is 1790 ft. high. That makes a lot of difference in temperature. Seems to me that Idaho Falls was always doggone hot in the summer and colder than a mother-in-laws heart in the winter. The northern part has more evergreen trees than the southern part. We have had winters here when the snow arrived with the wind and drifted in early Oct. and drifted and snowed every week till early April. We've had winters when it was 25 degrees every night for a couple of weeks at a time. And some when it never got below 35 degrees. Of course the wind blows EVERY day.
If one is planning on moving to any part of southen Idaho, they should plan on having all-weather or snow tires on the vehicles by mid-September and own warm clothing and have enough income to pay a HEAT bill for 6-7 months. Other than those few little inconvenienences, any location in southern Idaho is a nice place to live.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Post Larger Cities/Counties Have Larger Budgets for Snow Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62inwendell View Post
S.E. Idaho is a lot higher (elevation) than Northern Idaho. Idaho Falls is 4700 ft. and Bonner's Ferry is 1790 ft. high. That makes a lot of difference in temperature. Seems to me that Idaho Falls was always doggone hot in the summer and colder than a mother-in-laws heart in the winter. The northern part has more evergreen trees than the southern part. We have had winters here when the snow arrived with the wind and drifted in early Oct. and drifted and snowed every week till early April. We've had winters when it was 25 degrees every night for a couple of weeks at a time. And some when it never got below 35 degrees.

Of course the wind blows EVERY day.

Just so I'm clear, are you saying at your residence you experience wind blowing everyday? If not, then where are you saying that occurs in Idaho?

If one is planning on moving to any part of southen Idaho, they should plan on having all-weather or snow tires on the vehicles by mid-September and own warm clothing and have enough income to pay a HEAT bill for 6-7 months. Other than those few little inconvenienences, any location in southern Idaho is a nice place to live.:D
62inwendell, I think you make an excellent point for people living everywhere about having enough income to pay either for their heating or a cooling bill. I'm not certain I understand what you mean when you say, "pay for a Heat bill for 6-7 months." Maybe that is how many months/year your bill changes or some other detail. I don't understand. It may depend on who supplies your power. Hopefully, you'll clarify that statement so I know what you mean.

Since I know Sage44 is looking at employment opportunities, I think probably most of us agree that in today's economy a family needs adequate enough income to pay not only for utilies, but all their living expenses each month.
In my interaction with Sage44 to this point, being responsible citizens paying their bills seems to be what their family currently does and would do in other locations. Of course, Sage44, is free to correct me if I've misunderstood that value of their family.

Many families opt for different ways how to heat their homes, some preferring to use fireplaces and other sources of power in winter for reasons that help financially, but give other benefits as well.

I have family living in the Twin Falls, Jerome, Rupert and eastern Idaho areas for decades. Honestly I've never heard of planning on having snow tires on by mid-Sept. I don't do it nor do I know anyone who does. By Thanksgiving or 12/01, it would probably be advised. Each person has their own experiences...it may depend on the vehicle, regular tires etc.

Sage44, black ice can be a reality anywhere in the Intermountain West and other states, as your husband unfortunately experienced. I'm glad he is alive! One thing I've observed about drivers and black ice is it is often those who think it can't happen in their area or to them that are the ones caught off guard. Having had the accident, your husband is aware (as are you) it is a risk of driving in climates that change.

And Sage44, seriously, given what your husband does, any job offers you may be looking at, I'd seriously encourage you to find out the distance the company serves. It may be the positions that are open require traveling to different cities for installations/repairs. Distance may be listed in miles from the city where a job is available. Make sure you get that detail from any potential employer, regardless of where you move, if you move.

I'm glad to see you asking so many questions and getting so much good feedback from others, Sage44. brokencrayola, unless I've forgotten, weren't you more toward the Logan area when you were in southeastern ID? The only reason I ask (and I have driven the road between I-15 and Preston often) is I don't know how the snow removal in the extreme corner of southeastern ID - like in Montipilier or Soda Springs is compared to Pocatello, Blackfoot, Idaho Falls and cities on I-15.

There is less drifting snow around the larger cities in se Idaho, partially because there are more people who live in those cities, more people travel to them for business reasons and probably larger county/city populations usually means better snow removal. There are always flukes that happen somewhere, but usually snow removal in the areas you're looking at, Sage44, is good.

I know I've posted this before, but can't remember where. It rarely happens that school districts close due to drifting snow now (at least around Idaho Falls and Poky - the tv stations could tell you, Sage44). However, before more people discovered and moved to the area, the joke was, certain rural districts slightly away from town would close maybe one day every second or third year due to drifting snow. Then everyone would head to the mall and see their friends.

BTW - I love the heat in Idaho Falls. I can't remember if I've ever seen it be above 97-100. I don't like the 100-116 degrees some cities experience in other states. Poky usually differs a few degrees each day than Idaho Falls. It just dawned on me, probably no one has given you the links for the local tv stations so you can contact them for their recorded data about the weather. There three in the area.

Channel 3 - KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho

Channel 6 - KPVI NEWS 6: Pocatello, Idaho Falls-Weather, Sports, News- - Home

Channel 8 - KIFI - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson WY - Weather News Sports- - Home (KIFI) - I think KIFI still has the skycam of both Idaho Falls and Poky. Just look around the weather section.

Hope that information helps, Sage44.

MSR

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I use to live outside the tiny town of Grace, which was an hour from Logan and just over an hour from Pocatello. They did ok with plowing. With drifting snow thought, you no sooner plow and the drifting begins again, so it is hard to keep up with. I use to drive to Pocatello and Soda Springs all the time. I had 4 circumstances, one one the small road I lived off of, one outside of Soda Springs and one outside of Grace and one in Wyoming heading into Idaho where I literally could not see where the side of the road were or if I was even on the road. I drove VERY slow and tried to stay in what I hoped was the middle of the road/highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho