Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times

Advertisements

There's probably already a thread on this somewhere but, I couldn't find it.

I recently took a job that will require occasional (once or twice a month) travel. I have three dogs and would love some recommendations for top-notch boarding facilities within an hour or so of Victor. I went to one place locally and ended up bringing my dogs right back home with me because I was not impressed with the cleanliness and security of the facility, or with the attitude of the staff. I made the mistake of not visiting first, and just asked all my questions over the phone.
Some of my requirements:
-A kind, competent, and compassionate staff.
-Quick access to quality veterinary care.
-Clean, sanitary conditions.
-Tight security and supervision (I have diggers and jumpers).
-Lots of play time.
-Staff won't be annoyed or offended when I call (probably daily ) to check on my kids.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
Question What Advice Does Your DVM Give You?

You are right, this topic has been discussed at length in many posts, tdna. Using the "search" feature in a forum will allow you to bring up those threads which contain comments about the facilities or other options folks have used.

If you are inclined to start new businesses, this may be one to look into, as there certainly is a need.

I have no idea where you boarded previously, so I hesitate to say anything about facilities. Are you saying you boarded in Driggs or Idaho Falls? Also, what have you found in Jackson Hole? With Jackson beng quite close to you, perhaps there is an option in Jackson.

There is a facility in Idaho Falls on the way to YNP and Jackson (northeast section of the city/county). Honestly, tdna, your complaint (if you used this facility), is the first I've heard about it. That's why I'm reluctant to recommend anywhere. If you wrote a complaint online, it would be helpful to know under what you wrote the complaint, as no one wants to refer you to a facility that isn't adequate.

Not sure if Cleosmom can comment on this one or not. That may depend on what facility was used previously, and businesses are promoted in the forum discussions.

tdna, what facility does your veterinarian recommend? That would be the best place is where your veterinarian thinks your pet is well cared for and the staff will contact him/her in case of an emergency. Or perhaps you can find someone to privately care for your pet either in their home or yours, which may make it easier for everyone involved.

Additionally, you may want to post in the Pet Section here on CDF.

I hope you find what you are looking forward. If I were you, I'd depend on recommendations from my DVM.

Good luck...

MSR

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,752 times
I used the search feature, but was only able to find suggestions in the Boise area. I guess I wasn't entering the right keywords. I'll look for the pet forum, too. I just discovered City-Data and didn't even know there was a pet forum.

The kennel I wasn't happy with was not in Idaho Falls so, if there's a good one there, I'd be interested in checking it out.

I'd also still be interested in hearing from anyone who has had a good experience with a particular kennel or pet sitter. I've found several using Google, but it's always nice to get a first-hand review.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
Lightbulb Check Your DMs in About an Hour, Please

tdna, No harm, no foul. CDF is adding new sections all the time. I had to be told about some this summer and I've been a member for 2 years.

I was in a hurry in my last post and I wrote something inaccurately. Let me set the record straight now. Individual businesses are NOT to be promoted in posts. Sometimes there are reasons to list businesses that provide resources to others (like Idaho Falls Magazine, as their website is full of all sorts of information, resources to new residents moving to the area).

So, because I like to help our friendly, Idaho moderator, Sage, I won't list a business name here. However, check your DMs in about an hour. I will send you some information within an a hour (have a couple of other things I have to do first). Then you can learn about an excellent facility in Idaho Falls where many professionals and others leave their pets.

The only complaint I've heard about THAT business, is that there isn't another one at a different location, or it isn't bigger. It fills up fast as people are happy with the care. That includes locals and visitors to YNP and Jackson Hole etc.

It would be important if you have a DVM in Driggs that your vet give you the name of a local Idaho Falls DVM to contact in case of an emergency. While I know the staff will take animals to vet appointments, as well as play with them, give meds and spoil them to the nth degree, I don't think they can drive to Driggs or even Rexburg for DVM appointments. So I'd encourage you to think ahead and ask your local vet for the name of a DVM in Idaho Falls or potentially Rigby or Shelley. If you contact this business, you can ask them how far they transport pets for veterinary care.

And, you probably know about the 24 hour/7 Veterinary E.R. in Idaho Falls. I think I started a thread on it last summer. It's just another option for veterinary care, if needed. However, I'd board my beloved pets at the "hotel," if given the choice. .

Give me about an hour. You'll see it listed as a Direct Message to you (DM). I can give you a name and info, if you aren't familiar with it. If you call them, ask for references if you want. If you have a physician, lawyer, CPA or know many who work at INL among other professional jobs, you are probably going to recognize some names you may receive as references for this business.

I hope this helps. My 4 legged friend is quite precious to me too and I call every night I'm gone to check on her. This happened in a different state than Idaho, but she became so attached to one of the staff members, when I was traveling often and had to leave her, that when it came time for that staff member to move, she called me and asked if I could bring my little one in so she could say good-bye. Seriously - this story is 1000% true.

So I took her in around midnight to say good-bye to her favorite tech. (got special persmission from all supervisors etc. to do this). The tech worked nights and my little buddy use to help her do laundry, follow her around and just generally play with her. From my perspective, this vet tech managed my loved pet through one of the worst post-op nights of her life, and mixed enough different foods together to get her to eat when she stopped eating. This tech is gifted when it comes to animals and I'm excited for what she plans to do in her new home in CA.

That very rough, post-surgical night was this tech's very first night working at this veterinary facility. She was open to my suggestions of what to do when certain symptoms got worse during the night (this was essentially an emergency surgery, added on the day before). So my little one was very ill when undergoing her procedure and her recovery was a ? for many, given what her clinical course had been. However, this marvelous tech soothed her, and eased her pain and swelling, and listened to (and incorporated my suggestions as I called throughout the night). She also made my little one feel safe and loved in a way no one else has, except when she is at home. So these two were really close.

Visiting at midnight isn't what all would do, but it was really important to me, given what we'd been through together trying to get my little one better.

I've taken the time to tell you my personal story, as I know there are employees at the facility I'm going to tell you about in the DM I send. Some are every bit as devoted as what I've described above. You may be surprised how positive of an experience you may have this time, let alone your beloved pet.

I hope you have really positive experiences at the center I'm going to recommend to you, or at least as many as your furry friend will experience, if you decide to use this facility.

MSR

P.S. Good for you for moving your pet to a better environment or fit for you and your pet. Lots of owners don't give it that much thought. It's god to see your level of caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho