Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 22,483 times

Advertisements

Hi! We currently live in Hershey, PA and we have always wanted to move out west. We are looking at either Colorado, Wyoming or Idaho but any suggestion is welcome. We have three kids under the age of 9 ... so schools are important.

We really want a small town feel near mountains. My kids think we have mountains in PA. I keep telling them ... they are hills!! We would love to be able to get land (10 acres or so) and a nice house for about $300,000.

We don't mind winters or snow but I love seasons so I don't want all winter.

So far I have looked at outskirts of Fort Collins, CO Laramie, WY and northern Idaho? Colorado Springs outskirts seem nice but a little too desserty for me?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 982 times
Default Moving to Idaho

We are originally from W Pa..Moved to Twin Falls Idaho..The schools are the very best and very nice..Might want to check this out..

Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Question Employment Needs/Opportunities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcculley View Post
Hi! We currently live in Hershey, PA and we have always wanted to move out west. We are looking at either Colorado, Wyoming or Idaho but any suggestion is welcome. We have three kids under the age of 9 ... so schools are important.

We really want a small town feel near mountains. My kids think we have mountains in PA. I keep telling them ... they are hills!! We would love to be able to get land (10 acres or so) and a nice house for about $300,000.

We don't mind winters or snow but I love seasons so I don't want all winter.

So far I have looked at outskirts of Fort Collins, CO Laramie, WY and northern Idaho? Colorado Springs outskirts seem nice but a little too desserty for me?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Hi sdmcculley,

What about employment or career training? Does you family operate a business that can be done from anywhere, or would you (or someone in your family) have job security in any of the three states?

In today's economy, ability to secure a new job, leading to a career, is important to many.

Let us know what other questions you have.

MSR

Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 AM

103 posts, read 310,793 times
I have always liked wyoming personally. I have also lived in colorado. out of the 3 what are you looking for the most boise is huge and so is denver. snow fall varies depending on what part of each state you live in ? also wind part of wyoming are xtremly windy all year long. also imo the people are differant depending on where you are headed. in colorado where i was at the people where super friendly but you where 2 1/2 hrs from home depot no malls only 1 real sit down place to eat. up in like coeur d'alene most of the people are from out of state and moved there. they have every fast food place on the planet traffic is a hassle. it really depends on what you are looking for. taxes are about the same from western colorado to north idaho. colorado license plates are wicked expensive $1100 a year for a newer truck while only $45 in idaho Wyoming is based of purchase price.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM

274 posts, read 952,392 times
If schools are important, and you're looking in the Kootenai County area, check out Lakeland ISD. I did a LOT of research on schools up that way, and somehow people always sent me back to the Lakeland district. It's also in the northern area of the county up around Rathdrum, Spirit Lake, Twin Lakes, etc. which gets you in those small town, near the mountain, places like you described. Something else that I found significant is that all the kids I talked to who attended that district had only positive things to say about it. Another plus is that you're still close enough to a larger area to support shopping and as Mtn States said, jobs and career.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho