Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 11:53 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times

Advertisements

I learned that battery thing when I was a kid. Back then, I used a bulb out of an old flashlight, but now I wonder how an LED bulb would work. Nice to know in emergencies- all that's needed to make a light out of a spud is a of scraps of common copper wire, 2 galvanized nails, and a bulb socket w/ bulb. The ones I made when I was 12 lasted for about 45 minutes, depending on the spud, but I think an LED could last all night. No switch needed; you just pull out one of the nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,079,526 times
Isn't that a waste of good vodka?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,204,220 times
Just pick the correct LED. Incandescent can be adjusted by difference in voltage, LEDs require a difference in current, thus the resistance is changed.
Also, whereas one large potato might (usually does) turn on a little light bulb, a LED might require more, wired in series, to get it going.
But yes, once going it will last longer and draws less juice since it does not need to heat up an element to make light.

Maybe next winter, when bored I'll try it. I have about 200 LED in a box in the garage. I completely changed all the interior bulbs, including IP/Radio/HVAC control in my 2003 Corvette to blue LEDs one summer; many moons ago!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 AM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
I've decided to do something good for Clark Fork. I want to buy land and build a big mall with surrounding 5 story condos right along the river, just like they're building in San Diego's Mission Valley right now. Then I want to impose water restrictions just like in San Diego, because you never know when you may need more water. Then I want to introduce a "no guns within city limits" rule just because. And then...

April Fools!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM

742 posts, read 1,121,017 times
Sounds like if you buy the property you should be able to do what you want, right?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,204,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I've decided to do something good for Clark Fork. I want to buy land and build a big mall with surrounding 5 story condos right along the river, just like they're building in San Diego's Mission Valley right now. Then I want to impose water restrictions just like in San Diego, because you never know when you may need more water. Then I want to introduce a "no guns within city limits" rule just because. And then...

April Fools!
Good one....(I bet you turned on some local liberals though for a few seconds )

Old 04-01-2015, 05:15 PM

356 posts, read 517,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

April Fools!

And it looks like you got one, too!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,252,803 times
Default Idaho migration 2014

Neat chart that shows ins and outs for the states. Hopefully this link works, first time I try it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V...ew?usp=sharing

(I had to hit ctrl-click and it opened in another tab then I clicked on zoom to see the numbers)

Old 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Neat chart that shows ins and outs for the states. Hopefully this link works, first time I try it:

(I had to hit ctrl-click and it opened in another tab then I clicked on zoom to see the numbers)
File opened right up. Interesting table. Not as much net gain as I'd expect, (19k for the whole state for the year).

Old 04-02-2015, 02:38 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,987,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

Interesting data.

I hope to be adding a couple to that table next year!

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho