Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 07:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I have moved my front porch to the carport making for a much cooler and larger space for entertaining. Still not done with the decor. Hahahaha you all know me and how I love my color.
I love it too! Really quite restful to the eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I plan to sit on a lawn chair in my backyard for the eclipse.

I think it is slightly odd for so many to be traveling to see it, because you can't actually look at it.

Some folks appear to be making a lot of money by renting out places to stay. It just seems a bit risky to me. Liability and all that, if you aren't set up insurance-wise to be a rental.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
I agree Oregonwoodsmoke. I think if it is just company come to stay.I am good but to ask rent changes things quite a bit.

Thank your Reziac I am awaiting a rug then will smooth the gravel out so the out door run will work.

I also built a catio for the house kitties. I had a 10 by 10 chain link kennel in front of my bedroom window I moved over 8 foot and built a cat walk with windows in it too so my windows are no longer blocked. The 10 by 10 tarp roof on the kennel over the chain link top is not snow worthy so now come winter I will pull the tarp off and the kitties will have their high rise to play in. It only has a 30 by 30 inch roof.

Then I redid the dog house cover with another old roof hubby built of an old farm gate and roofing and yes I hiked that thing up 6 foot over my head to the top of two left over kennel panels from a second smaller kennel I had. It is all metal and should support a foot or more of snow so I do not have to go out in the night to clear it. Last winter was kicking my butt with the snow and ice. But it made me incredibly strong for an old timer.

And finally I did a fun patio make over. I did not want to spend more $$ or have to haul more pavers home so I did a checker board of what I had and planted fall over grass in the center ones and succulents in the outer open squares. Stroke of luck it all fit when I met up with the existing solid patio part. Well not the first time I had to do a second do over. This area is in the dogs yard and the wire fence will come down once the open squares fill in some more. There is more dog yard out past the kitty kennel.

This is the year of the yard for me.

Will only let me upload one photo so here is a link to the second one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...posted-public/
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-5-17-17-new-patio-grass.jpg  

Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Eclipse '79 was a big deal in Bozeman. Day was rainy but still lots of people came from all over (eclipse-chasing as a hobby); campus was packed, and there were a whole bunch of talks, sort of like a TED event. Cleared off just in time for the total eclipse. You can see it, you just shouldn't stare at the sun for the duration -- it's not briefly looking at the sun that's the big hazard (we do that outdoors often enough); it's looking at it through an unprotected magnifying lens that'll burn your eyes. (Probably not all that good for digital cameras either.) I got some fairly decent photos, considering what I was working with -- a cheap film camera, a pair of busted binoculars as the zoom lens, a chunk of very-black xray film as the filter, and a piece of paper as the shadowbox for aiming this gawdawful contraption.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
And finally I did a fun patio make over. I did not want to spend more $$ or have to haul more pavers home so I did a checker board of what I had and planted fall over grass in the center ones and succulents in the outer open squares.
That's a cool idea!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 PM

Reziac it was not my invention. I saw the photo some where maybe Pinterest of some thing similar in checker board. Just having fun with it. Thanks!

The telephone company here is getting special glasses for viewing. I did not even think of trying to photograph it. I think my little town is going to try to create some events or celebration of some sort. Town is always trying to bring in commerce. SMH Wonder if a person could put the glasses lens over the camera lense if it would protect it enough. I doubt I will try it. I was trying so hard to get a gorgeous full moon shot and this is all I managed to get. I do not think my hands are steady enough and I even rested the camera on the sturdy fence. Hahaha just imagine what I could do with a sun shot I was trying to do in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-2-11-17-moon-shot.jpg  

Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM

That's a moonworm, right? it could be worse... here is my photo of Mars... camera would focus clearly, then lose it when it took the shot.... not pricey enough to have manual focus!

For an interesting optical illusion, look at that pic and blink rapidly.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Lake Pend Oreille Cruises is offering an eclipse viewing boat cruise on the morning of the eclipse. I don't think we'll do it since I'm not sure what viewing conditions will be like this far north of the path of the total eclipse.

Not at all Idaho related, but back in 2010 I took this picture of the total lunar eclipse that was visible in the LA area in December of that year. Fortunately, we had clear weather with no clouds and little smog. You can just make out parts of the downtown LA skyline through the trees.

Dave

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Reziac, Hahaha YES maybe I finally found Glow Worm for Realz............ My friend in town takes amazing photos and she is especially good at doing the full moon. I find myself attracted to taking cloud photos. Had a very strange one over the house not to long ago. I only have a point and shoot Sony camera. There are a few settings I rarely try to use them. I did on the moon shot I tried to get.

Cnynrat your Moon shot is Gorgeous. Ah the City lights. Loved seeing them when I was a kid and lived in Berkeley hills and viewed San Francisco and the bay area.
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-4-30-17-cool-cloud-b.jpg  

Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Neat pics. Now that I have a camera that can more or less see in the dark (well, compared to my old one, which thought afternoon was "dark"), I'll have to try catching the next lunar eclipse. It might do better if I shoot it as video and extract frames -- at least that way sometimes it's in focus.

I too take a lot of cloud pics, tho haven't caught one as distinct as that alien spaceship

I have a Fujifilm XP80 that's point-and-shoot and is a little more cold-tolerant than most digitals, and a Fujifilm S8600 that actually has a good optical zoom (tho is a little dumber in some other ways), but their main feature was that they were on sale at a good price, since I are not a camera maven and expect the camera to do all the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho