Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 12:16 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times

Advertisements

Right Oregonwoodsmoke. I am going to just have to buck it up and get out there and start moving it. The winds are so big right now. UGH But if it is gone and it does not snow more and continues to rain all is good my drive and paths stay clear.

I have trouble getting all of those batteries out. I can barely reach from side to side to pinch the tabs and to pinch and pull triples the arthritis pain. I did go youtubing to see if some one has made a tool and posted it. Nothing found so far. Next summer I am going to work on this. Have lots of odd scrap metal pieces out there and a drill press and hopefully. Or maybe cut one of a scrap of 3/4 plywood like a big C that can span the tabs and twist it to compress them. I will call it a battery wrench. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 PM

And I am DONE!! WWWEEEEE So happy it is behind me. It was sloppy wet and super heavy. Shoulders are slightly complaining. AND while doing the mindless snow shoveling I also sorted out the battery puller. The tool has already been invented and I just happen to have a slew of them hanging in the garage. Hubby left me so many great tools. I am totally beginning to understand men's joy over tools. They make life easier. The big reveal is DOH on me for not thinking of this sooner .
A large C- Clamp. Works perfectly and even gives me nice handle to pull on. Easy peasy. This is a huge game changer for me. It is the little things I seem to worry about being alone. No longer will I dread the need to pull and charge the batteries. I know probably sounds so silly. Means a lot to me.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
A large C- Clamp. Works perfectly and even gives me nice handle to pull on. Easy peasy. This is a huge game changer for me. It is the little things I seem to worry about being alone. No longer will I dread the need to pull and charge the batteries. I know probably sounds so silly. Means a lot to me.
That's a really good idea!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:29 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........A large C- Clamp. Works perfectly and even gives me nice handle to pull on. ........

Clever idea. Well done!

Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Thanks I am feeling so relieved. I want to do some more building this summer and this will just make it so much easier to switch tools and batteries out. These batteries are not cheap. I need to buy a new electric drill. UGH the one that was my husbands dad's has died. I suspect it is a wiring issue. I will take it apart and look inside when it warms up. His dad has been gone 30 years it is a really old drill.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:52 PM

I have a 1/4" drill that was probably my granddad's -- solid aluminum case, cloth-wrapped power cord (so old the exterior rubber has gone crunchy and flaked off, but it has so many layers it's still well-insulated)... I've had several but this is my favorite drill, and it works perfectly. Nice balance and lots of torque. Some old tools are just right.

Found a 1/2" drill of similar style and vintage in a pawn shop... that thing will turn a house. Worked it hard and it never ran hot. Unfortunately after a long period of idleness it's started throwing sparks; not sure what it'd take to fix, or if that would cost more than it's worth.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM

294 posts, read 544,059 times
All your old metal drills should be thrown away. They can kill you by shorting out and energizing the metal housing. There is a reason they went away.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Really? I'd never heard about that. Figured it went away because plastic is cheaper.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
All your old metal drills should be thrown away. They can kill you by shorting out and energizing the metal housing. There is a reason they went away.

Oh Thanks for telling me this. Never even considered that. Any suggestions on a good brand of drill? I can order online like amazon or have home depot or harbor freight available. Both about the same long tri to get to and back. 90 miles. The older I get the more I dread that drive.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:49 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Any suggestions on a good brand of drill? I can order online like amazon or have home depot or harbor freight available. Both about the same long tri to get to and back.
Harbor Freight would probably be my last choice. Pretty much everything they sell is out of China. Nothing wrong with that, with free enterprise and all. I'm just starting to think that China has enough of our money. Their quality has gotten better the past few years, but before that, most of what they sold was junk.

I like Lowes better than Home Depot, but that just might be because they give a 10% veteran discount, on everything. Home Depot seems to be inconsistent with their discount. Anything you get at Lowes or Home Depot will be decent quality. Talk with the sales reps. They will guide you. Be prepared to tell them how you expect to use a drill. That will help them steer you to the best choice for your needs.

Another option for you is to check for an Ace Hardware. I'd be willing to bet there is one closer than ninety miles from you. You'll pay a little bit more, but the quality will be fine. You'll probably get better, more knowledgeable service too.

- - -

Just checked. Here you go. There is an Ace in Weiser.

There's a True Value in Weiser also, but I know not much about that chain.

- - -

p.s. I'm assuming you are still in Midvale.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho