Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Great to see all CD friends making the move. We're going to have to meet up on the physical front porch (one of ours) one of these days.
I agree! Looking forward to that day!
But try to get those yellowjackets under control before we come, okay? I can deal with the spiders, but those little dive bombers freak me out a bit...I think I mentioned on another thread that the front porch of the cabin where we were staying at the guest ranch in June had busy yellowjacket queens building nests in every nook and cranny--we counted at least 8 nests on our porch alone! And those queens were enormous --I'd say forget the wolves, let's hunt yellowjackets, skin them, mount their heads over the fireplace, and sell the hides!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Hi Toyman,

We spent the day making a list of all the stuff we have to do. Two foot weeds in the pasture are gonna disappear soon. Delivered some stuff today and more coming tomorrow.

The great folks who owned the house left a near new pool table. They did not want to move it. How cool is that. Now I have something to do during those long winter months. That was like an early Christmas gift.

Got to get used to a lot of new things, like space. I walked around the property today for the first time without a Realtor standing next to me. Idaho is an awesome state. You, Sage, Trace, Cff, and all the others were right. Most folks we meet are great. The next two weeks will be hectic moving in and all, however we are looking forward to the challenge.
I looked towards your place on the way home, around 5:30. There was a white pickup and a green sedan in the road by the place, any chance that was you?

Great luck on the pool table. With regard to the weeds, let me know if you'd like me to run by with the tractor. I have a 6' flail mower, would make quick work of the weeds.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
Hi everybody,

Toyman you saw the prior owners. They were there doing last minute moving. I bought a 44" Swisher Trail Cutter. You tow it behind the polaris. I will try it after we move in. Toyman, I appreciate the offer of taking out the weeds, but I want to use my new toy. It has a 14 hp engine that should be fun to drag around.....

Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Hi everybody,

Toyman you saw the prior owners. They were there doing last minute moving. I bought a 44" Swisher Trail Cutter. You tow it behind the polaris. I will try it after we move in. Toyman, I appreciate the offer of taking out the weeds, but I want to use my new toy. It has a 14 hp engine that should be fun to drag around.....
I forgot that you mentioned the cutter in the ATV thread. I understand, a new toy is always fun to try out! I saw the PODs on the way by today, I'm guessing your busy unpacking. Don't forget to take time out to go play!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Talking Monster alert!

Oh no!!! All you good people around Lake Pend Oreille, be careful! Enormous bug monsters are taking over! I caught one on the Bayview webcam just now--look at the wingspan! I guess you told us the NID yellowjackets could get big...!!!
Lake Pend Oreille WebCam
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-lakep082609.jpg  

Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Hey Toyman, we took your loop last weekend on the way home via Dufort. It's pretty back there!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Hey Toyman, we took your loop last weekend on the way home via Dufort. It's pretty back there!

Feel free to drop by, we're at the end of Buckskin! I like the mix of country in the area, a fair amount of farmland and pasture, plus the mountains and forests. Plenty of variety. Just a ways from anywhere...or in the middle of everything, depending on how you look at it.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I forgot that you mentioned the cutter in the ATV thread. I understand, a new toy is always fun to try out! I saw the PODs on the way by today, I'm guessing your busy unpacking. Don't forget to take time out to go play!
Emptied the Pods today. Ran the machine for a half hour works great. Wife made me get back to unpacking.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hi Redbird,
It's time to come back to North Idaho for a visit! Who knows, maybe the same thing will happen to you that's happened to a lot of us on the Porch--we came for a visit, then a second visit, then a third, etc., and it changed our lives!
Thanks for fighting forest fires...any one of us who has experienced an evacuation due to an approaching wildfire knows exactly how much we owe you guys...
Thanks Clark, I will most likely travel to North Idaho just to see that beautiful country again. Every day we saw so much beauty.

Working in it was a real challenge. We would drive on the dirt roads and inevitably pick the steepest incline to work. We were the regeneration crew and had to count how many trees survived the replanting after 3 and 5 year intervals. Great job.

I saw some huge forest fires with flames close to 70 feet tall. I got there the year after the great Yellowstone fire of 88? or 89? I also remember the crazy loggers driving those trucks 65 mph down the side of the mountains! Get out of their way!

Take care everyone!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Default Fire season

Talking abut forest fires, the smoke you saw up on Roman Nose, Toyman, where did it come from? Any big fires right now in NID? I read about the Emmett fire ...Down here we're headed into our fire season now, with 100+ degree temps... On the upside, we've been taking our dog to the beach at sunset, and that's been just beautiful! But then we head home inland to the cauldron...
With all the "old" 2nd growth timbers around our property in Clark Fork it doesn't look like fires are all that frequent. The locals we talked to said the fires have been mostly in the backcountry. So, keeping our fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho