Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,870 times

Advertisements

Toyman,

I just about choked to death when I read your post. Here is what we do. Fill my PODS with wolves and we can let them lose in Boise. We can watch the news that night and see headlines such as Wolf eats poodle in public park, news at eleven.

Several wolves seen chasing patrons out of latte bar, no injuries reported.

Keep up the good work Toyman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Toyman,

I just about choked to death when I read your post. Here is what we do. Fill my PODS with wolves and we can let them lose in Boise. We can watch the news that night and see headlines such as Wolf eats poodle in public park, news at eleven.

Several wolves seen chasing patrons out of latte bar, no injuries reported.

Keep up the good work Toyman.
funny that you have snide remarks against "the city" and it's population.. yet are apparently an advocate of living away from "us city people" yet rely on infrastructure and services and comforts of civilization in spite of living out in the middle of nowhere...
quite comical indeed....

Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
funny that you have snide remarks against "the city" and it's population.. yet are apparently an advocate of living away from "us city people" yet rely on infrastructure and services and comforts of civilization in spite of living out in the middle of nowhere...
quite comical indeed....

RELAX Boiseguy.

The thought of Fisherman's JOKE statement made me smile a bit thinking of the outcome.
It was humorous as it was intended to be

Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 PM

97 posts, read 220,257 times
posted on 10 / 13 / 2008 in the Idaho forum

NOT MUCH HAS CHANGED !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
Having read all the posts here, it is the SAME opinions repeated on any forum on the web, that discusses the 'wolf'.
My observation...there are always two sides taken. Those that want to protect the cute wild dog, and those that want to manage the mangy critter.
It is obvious where some of you fit in.

I believe the reintroduction was/is a blunder. In hindsight, it should have been a better plan.
You must understand the natural instinct of a wolf.
First, he is a killer.
Second, he is nomadic because he is terratorial.

The feds put him in Yellowstone (National Park) aka Federal Property
He didn't stay put. He has migrated to Idaho Wyoming Montana Utah Colorado maybe more. Now he has become a problem for those states that didn't want him to begin with.
Like it or not, he will have to be managed, just like everything else in the ecosystem.
I would like to see one in the 'wilds' of Yellowstone, but I like seeing the elk, too.
There will have to be a balance, but not 'natures' way. Just won't work.
You can get all worked up over it, or just get it thru your head that there needs to be give & take from both sides.

Don't you people have firewood to chop? winter's a comin

Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
posted on 10 / 13 / 2008 in the Idaho forum

NOT MUCH HAS CHANGED !!!!
Never mind...not worth it.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Trying to learn here, rather than take sides, living in Suburbia 1500 miles away...I have a question which I'm sure sounds incredibly stupid to you guys who are hunters (which I'm not, though I like to go plinking! ) Sorry to sound ignorant (and I'm probably not even using the proper vocabulary), but can somebody please enlighten me and explain the policy behind ID Fish and Game setting up a goal of "harvesting" up to 220 wolves, and issuing 2,500 tags? I realize that not all tags sold will result in a kill, but why the huge difference in the numbers? Is it just a matter of revenue for the state? The early bird gets the worm, and 2280 hunters get nothing? Is that the way it works?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/aug/24/wolf-hunting-tag-go-sale-today/
Quote:
Tags also are being sold online and at Fish & Game offices and private vendors statewide, wherever Idaho big game tags are sold. By noon, the state had sold about 2,500 wolf tags, officials said.
Idaho’s wolf hunt is giving hunters from both in and out of state a shot at up to 220 of the state’s wolves, about a quarter of the wolf population.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM

238 posts, read 863,536 times
They are issuing that many tags because they have a very realistic expectation of hunter success rates. Tags are cheap, and will in most cases be a "just in case" item for guys who were already going to be in the woods with a rifle, and want to shoot a wolf... and a few who will want to try to call one into range (good luck). In short... it's an easy F&G choice to make money, and manage effectively by selling unlimited tags with a very... I repeat VERY limited harvest.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Elk aren't native? Then why are we worried about them? To benefit hunters?
Do you live in Idaho?

Way back in 1978 I was writing a managment plan for a large acreage under Federal management. Well, one of the local politicians, a Democrat, of all things did not take kindly to my management plan. One of the objectives of the plan was to increase the elk herd. Well, old Cy thought that might reduce the timber harvest for his local mill.

So Cy said he was against the plan. I looked Cy in the eye and said " Cy, are you going to run against elk in north Idaho?". Cy started to hem and haw and finally said well I guess the plan is ok.

I would rather run against GOD in north Idaho than elk.

When push came to shove in Idaho in 1978 elk were more important than anything else.

I guess all things change. Wolf changed elk in Yellowstone and will do the same in Idaho. But before the fires in the early 20th century changed the habitat in north Idaho and the good paying jobs in the timber industry provided the hunters......it did not matter.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Do you live in Idaho?

Why, yes...I do.
Question for you now: Can you read?
Because I was referencing an earlier post by Ejay who claimed that elk were not native to Idaho. Understand?
It's always helpful to read the entire thread before posting smart alek responses.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
I do not have a problem with wolves but have a problem that a non native more agressive wolf species was introduced into the state; not re-introduced, but introduced. Go to Sun Valley and ask anybody what they think about the packs of Canadian wolves that patrol the mountains and backyards of the Wood River Valley, and you might be surprised at their passionate reactions.
One thing people need to realize too, the people who enjoy hiking in the Sawtooth Mountains and the White Cloud Mountains, is that aggressive grizzly bears, the ones who have attacked humans in Yellowstone Park are trapped and many times released into the Idaho wilderness. Watch out for those bears who have tasted human blood and watch out for the mean Canadians.

Wolves of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho