Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times

Advertisements

The other day, I was driving down a street near my house and saw about 10-12 black teenage guys walking along together. It did sort of freak me out, not because I'm racist and was afraid of them, just because I didn't think there were that many black teenage guys in all of Boise. (That was a joke...I bet there are at least 20, hehe)

My graduating class in high school had a grand total of 1 black guy (out of 500+ people). Granted that was 13 years ago, but you get the idea.

I think in most parts of the state, you will find the same as you will find anywhere. Most people will be accepting, some will be standoff-ish, and a few will be racist. Only the ratios change from place to place.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
May want to also read this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...rs-remain.html

Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Smile Hype Certainly Remains in our Brains Longer; I'd Encourage You to Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I've read about the white supremacist groups that were congregating in Idaho and I would like to know if I visited your state would I have need to worry about my safety or is this mainly media hype making a bigger issue than what it really is, I've read about retired L.A.P.D. officers moving to your state saying they wanted to get away from minorities, I know racism comes in all colors and it is everywhere and that the majority of Idahoans don't think like that, I live in Georgia so I know about racism but seeing how Idaho is majority white does that make it seem worse than it is from a black man's perspective.

PT 3000,

You'll certainly be fine to visit and you can assess for yourself, when in Idaho, what it feels like for you. As I'm sure you're aware , each city listed for CDF, has demographics for that city. It will give you a % and a hard number estimate of how many blacks live in the city/cities you're researching.

Yes, media hype goes along way. Since you're in SEC country, let me ask you to think of it like this: How many black athletes are recruited to Idaho Univerisities each year (primarily out of CA) to play sports? How many have remained behind to live in Idaho? Idaho National Laboratory, one of the 15 national labs in the U.S., has employees trained from around the U.S., if not several areas around the globe, with different racial backgrounds. Micron attracted talented workers, potentially many who left Seattle and those who left CA too. I doubt they were all white.

I think one has to ask why more blacks are moving to the Intermountain West overall, as the numbers prove it. Is it just that jobs are available and where the person was employed previously, jobs have been lost? To a degree, the job market is adding to the increasing number of blacks in the Intermountain area. Also, another factor like families adopting children from TX, CA etc. who are black is a add to the changing population mixture.

While it certainly isn't as common in ID as southern and eastern states, as well as CA, black kids who were born in or moved to ID early in life, and were educated in Idaho have often stayed to raise their families and be near relatives. Could it be enough blacks have been in ID long enough that their children are showing us a second - third generation effect of more blacks in Idaho because more stayed in the state? Would they contribute to the changing population mixture? I suspect so.

Interestingly enough, my white mother moved to GA for about 5-6 years and wondered what her experience would be. She didn't like the drivers in GA and I never heard her associate a race with how someone drove.

I hope this helps.

Any pre-season predictions for SEC-west and SEC - east? I ask that for more than one reason. Yes, I'm required to watch the Crimson Tide roll each week, so I know more than most in this thread about each team. GA's coach Sanford seems like such a nice guy. It says something when Urban Myers' daughter goes to GA on a Volleyball scholarship instead of stayine where her dad coaches. And I know GA Tech is a marvelous school for engineers, probably partually due to Boeing's presence in GA.

Much like the military and larger employers who transfer employees to different states, sports has been an equalizer of different races living in an area where some may never have thought about living previously. The one caveat to that being, if you are a Sr. Citizen, I'm not sure what % of Idaho's population is in that age group.

When do you plan to visit ID? Do you like winter sports or symphonies etc? You may be surprised what ID has to offer. Martin Luther King Day in Idaho will NEVER be what it is in GA. That being said, how many weeks/year do schools in GA let the students out for potato harvest? Each state has its own unique traditions and heritage.

Have fun when you are in Idaho. Depending on some of your interests, you might be in ID when certain national conventions meet. You can check with the cities where you plan to visit and their Chamber of Commerce for a list of activities.

I hope this helps.

MSR

Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
MSR:

For the record, Georgia's coach is Mark Richt. They play at Sanford Stadium.

-Fellow college football fan.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Thumbs up Football - Another ID leisure activity.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
MSR:

For the record, Georgia's coach is Mark Richt. They play at Sanford Stadium.

-Fellow college football fan.
Thanks for catching my error boisefan88. I received a really nice response from PT 3000 about pre-season picks.

I'm glad actually that you posted this as I thought about what I wrote about the black athletes who accept scholarships and move to ID more after I wrote the comment.

Originally, I believe it was the military that was the great equalizer of races. Probably, some of the large companies followed a similar model, post certain wars, with Boeing being one example.

I'm interested in your view - and if you feel this warrants a new thread, please start one - do you feel like recruitment for college sports has helped those in ID, who perhaps have not lived around many black people previously, have a greater understanding and acceptance? Or do you think there are enough players recruited who attend college and/or decide to remain in an area it alters the percentage and perceptions at all?

ISU and Pocatello have a larger black population than Idaho Falls, yet Bonneville County is about 20-25K more people than Bannock. Be it faculty for the school, athletes or other, there absolutely has to be a "recruitment factor," at least on the east side of the state with an increasing number of black residents.

However, INL is driving the slower growing, but still growing population of blacks in Bonneville County, as well as the health care jobs.

So what do you think has happened in Boise to increase the black population? (Boise metro, not just the city limits). Out-of-state scholarships, acceptance to a school for college, comapnies like Micron and others etc.? I'm interested in your thoughts the rest of what I've written.

Thanks,

MSR

P.S. Good luck to everyone's favorite football teams, including BYU @ Oklahoma. Time for Intermountain football teams to get more positive national recognition and break up the BCS, IMHO!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks for catching my error boisefan88. I received a really nice response from PT 3000 about pre-season picks.

I'm glad actually that you posted this as I thought about what I wrote about the black athletes who accept scholarships and move to ID more after I wrote the comment.

Originally, I believe it was the military that was the great equalizer of races. Probably, some of the large companies followed a similar model, post certain wars, with Boeing being one example.

I'm interested in your view - and if you feel this warrants a new thread, please start one - do you feel like recruitment for college sports has helped those in ID, who perhaps have not lived around many black people previously, have a greater understanding and acceptance? Or do you think there are enough players recruited who attend college and/or decide to remain in an area it alters the percentage and perceptions at all?
What a great question. It may be a bit more academic than this board desires, so I'll keep my thoughts concise.

Yes, I do think that athletics has become the new "equalizer" in racial relations, not only around the nation, but especially here in Idaho. I think it helps change old and ridiculous views towards people of different race, but recruiting also helps to diversify the area via direct exposure. Sports (among other things) gives people that common bond for which to come together and celebrate, discuss, and get to know each other. And, I know many ex Bronco players who decided to remain in Boise because they loved the area, and many of their friends and family made the move as well.

All of this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
ISU and Pocatello have a larger black population than Idaho Falls, yet Bonneville County is about 20-25K more people than Bannock. Be it faculty for the school, athletes or other, there absolutely has to be a "recruitment factor," at least on the east side of the state with an increasing number of black residents.

However, INL is driving the slower growing, but still growing population of blacks in Bonneville County, as well as the health care jobs.

So what do you think has happened in Boise to increase the black population? (Boise metro, not just the city limits). Out-of-state scholarships, acceptance to a school for college, comapnies like Micron and others etc.? I'm interested in your thoughts the rest of what I've written.

I think your perceptions are quite accurate.

In my opinion Universities are the primary force in recruiting a diverse population to an area. Athletics tends to be the most visual, bringing in not only the athletes themselves, but also friends, family, and fans who want to be part of the experience. But there is much more to it than just the athletics as universities continue in their quest for a diverse student body.

Local policy and programs also help. I know Idaho has several refugee relocation programs - Southern Idaho over the years has received a number of Bosnian and Russian and Ukrainian refugees. Boise receives a large number of African refugees. All of this helps to change the perception of a local indigent population, reluctantly or not.

But I also think some of the larger companies help bring in diversity. I know Micron has, and from what you identify so to has INL.

It's a great topic. I encourage everyone to think deeper of it.

(And good luck to everyone's teams)

Old 09-05-2009, 03:08 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I've read about the white supremacist groups that were congregating in Idaho and I would like to know if I visited your state would I have need to worry about my safety or is this mainly media hype making a bigger issue than what it really is, I've read about retired L.A.P.D. officers moving to your state saying they wanted to get away from minorities, I know racism comes in all colors and it is everywhere and that the majority of Idahoans don't think like that, I live in Georgia so I know about racism but seeing how Idaho is majority white does that make it seem worse than it is from a black man's perspective.
Hi PT,
In moving out of Georgia, you have to adopt the perspective that you are moving out of the country. That way you throw out certain cultural presumptions regarding the forces that shaped Georgia. Why? Only traces of those forces are evident in Idaho and almost exclusively have come with the baggage of a few: recent immigrants determined to create an Idaho in terms of wherever they have come from.

The "congregation" is a handful of disaffected youths not talented enough or hardworking enough or socially competent to find membership in normal avenues of society (sports teams, jobs, community leadership, etc.). That these are in a White supremacist group is really beside the point, as one can substitute in "Gang X," "Thug Y," "Domestic Abuser G" and so forth. Here the congregation that is easiest to join is that of the White supremacists.

This is also one reason why immigration is such a hot topic in areas where there are hardly any immigrants to see. Baggage. Recent immigrants continuing to fight the battles of their past community.

Media: sex sells. Violence sells. death sells. Maiming sells. Uneducated Blacks arguing over paternity sells. Uneducated Whites arguing over paternity sells. Whites and blacks hating on each other sells. The masses would rather yuck it up over the misery of another of its members or hate on each rather than work together to attack the true villains.

There are plenty of retired cops who have posted on this board. Do a quick search. Their eloquence and balance is more than evident and their reasons for Idaho are found in 360* panaromas of our beautiful state.

As far as majority White. Idaho is 91-92% White. Georgia about 70%. THe number is really immaterial and in some ways actually helps. The vast amount of ignorance regarding race is non-experiential, but driven by imagery. Prejudice is not only is across colors but across both sides of the "transaction." The minority pre-judges every single word out of the majority's mouth using the rules from his home-base, while the majority pre-judges every move of the minority according to the rules provided for by media. THe two guys, potential friends in another situation, never even have a chance to meet. Their "meeting" is vis-a-vis their pre-loaded tension and the transposition of hatred.

What I love about Sandpoint is that actions speak much louder than words and can quickly overcome the distorted imagery our technological age.

I cannot with any degree of reasoning presume to walk in your shoes. I will never know. But I know what I can observe. Here in NID you have a chance to earn your respect. And those in the community will judge you on what you do. But note that this can cut both ways. Poor actions will and should meet with eyebrows lifted or worse.

Finally note that my first paragraph is important. Idaho was not part of the Civil War nor part of Jim Crow in any institutional sense. Old stereotypes are there. Baggage of newcomers in certainly here. But the wonderfully humbling cycles of nature very quickly separate the true stalwarts of the community from the pretenders and the selfish.

I hope you make it to a place like Sandpoint.

Be well,
S.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 AM

265 posts, read 686,576 times
Default I believe the Mountain States are accepting

I recently flew my beautiful black jamaican bride out to Seattle to show her part of the country I love the most and a 'COUNTRY' she had no idea existed. We drove all throughout the state's of WA,ID,WY,MT. Seattle>Kennewick,Pasco,Walla Walla>(Spokane>CDA...She loved the most)>Missoula,Butte,Bozeman,Helena,Yellowstone,an d back to Seattle(July)We found very few blacks on our trip. My wife was always greeted politely by all and sure we had a few stares only I think because she is black but moreso because I am white. Noone were ever rude or stared too long to be uncomfortable. All peoples of the west were friendly at least more toward her then me(sniffle). The Men were much more interested in her then me as like I said she is much beautiful. I was a tad jeaolous tho.lol....We are thinking of moving to Spokane or CDA in the future...She wants to start her own Nail salon and hair weaving business(The weaving needs more black clientel tho) so we need to find maybe a more diverse area?Boise? Suggesttions would be nice..Thanx....Sorry for Hijacking your thread PT...Take care and go Broncos of the bluegrass.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 AM

691 posts, read 2,328,478 times
I think that you will be okay, Idaho is predominately white, but black people live there, same as Utah, and Montana.

Bonus, do you like blondes? You may have many beautiful blondes hitting on you.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 8,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Not as diverse say as Chicago, Atlanta, NY and you get the idea, however it is progress.
Yeah, whites are all cavemen. Tell me, why do you live in such a backward area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho