Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Bonus, do you like blondes? You may have many beautiful blondes hitting on you.
PT3000 I volunteer to drive you around if I get some of the left over babes

Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM

223 posts, read 829,069 times
I am a minority, but I am not black, and I am orginally from Queens, New York and now live in New Jersey. In this area its very diverse alot of different races of people. I have a good number of black friends and I get the feeling that black people have no desire to go to states like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. I have heard my black friends say even about states like Rhode Island and Maine on the East Coast why go up to these states their is no black people? Maybe blacks feel like they will be discrimated against in an area of mostly white people and be targets of racists viloence. People just feel more comfortable in areas were their is more people of their race. I also have white friends that pass threw a ghetto area and get starred at and they feel nervous or uncomfortable since they don't want to be targets of crime. I heard alot of times when a white person ended up in the wrong part of town and was robbed or even killed. Same thing for colored people going threw KKK country in Alabama would be targets of racists viloence. However their is idiots out of every race and I feel most people in America are not racists and can get along with all sorts of people. I know in New Jersey their is still racism even in a area diverse as Jersey, but we mostly get along with each other in New Jersey. I have no idea about Idaho, being a minority when I am in a situation where I am the only colored person I feel weird, but my friend who is white says the same thing he feels weird when he is the only white. I guess people just feel more comfortable around people of their own race. I can't really imagine if I would of went to a highschool or lived in a entire town where their was only a few Indian,Black,Spanish,Chinese, etc. people. Their are areas like this in South Jersey where its mostly a white town, it would be nothing like Idaho most likely, but in North and Central Jersey its alot of different races of people. The cities and towns are very diverse in the New York and New Jersey area.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 PM

88 posts, read 153,895 times
I'm sure you would be safer than if I took my family to Detroit or South Central L.A.. I'm sure, being white, we wouldn't last 1 day in the Knickerson Gardens area of Watts. If you really doubt or question your safety, why would you want to move there?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,763 times
We did a lot of consulting work in Blackfoot and Idaho, they are a bunch of bigots, we are American Italian's from New Yorl, lots of mafica BS and remarks, if your not LDS don't live there was out in 70's extended stay and back in 80's same bull!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R. Pugia View Post
We did a lot of consulting work in Blackfoot and Idaho, they are a bunch of bigots, we are American Italian's from New Yorl, lots of mafica BS and remarks, if your not LDS don't live there was out in 70's extended stay and back in 80's same bull!
Joseph R. Pugia, what a bigoted reply
I know a lot of Italian's in Idaho, particularly in the Boise area. Some of them are straight out of Italy and into Idaho. I hardly think that Europeans need to be worried in Idaho because after all most of Idaho's population can trace their heritage back to Europe and with Italy included I believe there are even some small towns up in North Idaho that were settled by Italians if my memory is correct.
I almost bet there are some areas of New York that are so Catholic that if a person were not Catholic and were a Mormon or Lutheran or Anglican that they would not fit in very easily.

wow........

Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I wouldn't move to Priest River, but Sandpoint is okay. Yes, there are Aryan Nations; yes, there are White Supremicists; yes, there are racists. The latter, however, are pretty much the average type of idiot you'd find anywhere. There is much less racism here than there is in the South. And we do have an anti-hate/anti-prejudice group that's quite active. Sandpoint is only interested in money: if you have money, they'll treat you like you're royalty. If you don't, don't expect the welcome mat.

Actually, Priest River is pretty open-minded, which kind of surprised me when we moved here. There are bi-racial, black and hispanic families here and they are well accepted.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,187 times
This is very well articulated, OP. You ask a delicate question quite well, as someone who has done the research and sees through the b.s., but still maintains a very understandable apprehension.

You shouldn't deal with anything in Idaho that you haven't dealt with before. Obnoxious idiots are everywhere, so I'd be more confident just saying any bad experiences will be nothing you wouldn't find anywhere. For every one idiot, too, you can expect roomfuls of people to support your right to be human on this planet without taking flak for nature's course in that humane appearance.

As you know and as has been mentioned, Idaho has a much lower frequency of other races than many states, and that will be a noticeable contrast if you come from the deep South or urban East. If anything, because of this skewed population, the most annoying "bigot" trend you'll find will be "groupies" who will become mired in the ethnic novelty that you'll represent to them and their MTV/ESPN-saturated minds. Annoying as this can be and as embarrassed as they can make you feel for them, this particular form of prejudice has sufficient perks that I have yet to hear any indignation.

Also, as was mentioned several times, any area with colleges will have a large African American population.

Ultimately, race is no more an issue in Idaho than anywhere else. Even racial slurs will be limited to 1/1,000 idiots, usually intoxicated, and in what region won't you find that village idiot?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

268 posts, read 948,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
I think that you will be okay, Idaho is predominately white, but black people live there, same as Utah, and Montana.

Bonus, do you like blondes? You may have many beautiful blondes hitting on you.
I like all shades of women to tell you the truth, a woman is one of god's greatest creations and I would like to thank everyone for responding to my post and being nice and real about what Idaho is really like, I wish Boise State luck this year as long as they don't play Georgia because were hurting this year Stafford- gone, Moreno-gone, but I pull for teams like Boise State because they don't get the respect they deserve and every year they punch some susposed macho team in the mouth and represent your state well.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM

526 posts, read 1,755,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I've read about the white supremacist groups that were congregating in Idaho and I would like to know if I visited your state would I have need to worry about my safety or is this mainly media hype making a bigger issue than what it really is, I've read about retired L.A.P.D. officers moving to your state saying they wanted to get away from minorities, I know racism comes in all colors and it is everywhere and that the majority of Idahoans don't think like that, I live in Georgia so I know about racism but seeing how Idaho is majority white does that make it seem worse than it is from a black man's perspective.
In all honesty no.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Question What Type of Consulting do you Provide, Mr. Pugia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Joseph R. Pugia, what a bigoted reply
I know a lot of Italian's in Idaho, particularly in the Boise area. Some of them are straight out of Italy and into Idaho. I hardly think that Europeans need to be worried in Idaho because after all most of Idaho's population can trace their heritage back to Europe and with Italy included I believe there are even some small towns up in North Idaho that were settled by Italians if my memory is correct.
I almost bet there are some areas of New York that are so Catholic that if a person were not Catholic and were a Mormon or Lutheran or Anglican that they would not fit in very easily.

wow........
Couldn't rep you again Syringaloid, so I'll repost your post with a couple of others remarks.

I agree with you. Eastern ID has Italians too. The one caveat I would say is I can't speak for For Hall and the Native Americans.

But, my brain is struggling to think why Italians from NY would consult in Blackfoot in the 70s and again in the 80s. I mean no disrespect, I just can't think of what businesses in Blackfoot would have utilized the services of a New York firm, with the possible exceptions of Bingham Memorial Hospital, which was struggling, and State Hospital South. They were two of the largest employers at the time.

Otherwise, it was pretty much farm equipment for potato farming, hay, beets, grain etc.

Maybe Mr. Pugia would like to enlighten us a bit more of what required that much consultation in Blackfoot. I know BMH has utilized many different medical recruiters and finally found a winning combination for them, but that was probably 10 years ago.

Mr. Pugia, what was so happening in Blackfoot in the 70s and 80s (20-30 years ago) that you traveled all the way from NY to Blackfoot? I think I'll reserve any further statements until I know with which population Mr. Pugia made such a broad, sweeping remark about Idahoans. Could it be anywhere but outside of you local neighborhood in NY seems "bigoted," to you, Mr. Pugia? Any chance you live in Brooklyn or Long Island?

I know a few NYC relocated physicians in Idaho Falls who wouldn't appreciate that remark at all, given their Italian heritage as well.

Again, I agree with Syringaloid's statement, but will broaden to include eastern ID. I still like the ending.

WOW!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho