Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Yes sir or ma'am! And I just finished reading Wiki-Idaho and found that just about every single trivia question asked so far was located in that one location. lol

And people say Wiki is no good. Although, they say only 60% of Idaho is government owned, err, I mean public land.

Here is another one. Who was the last Democratic President to carry Idaho in a Presidential election?
LBJ in 1964. I guess Goldwater was too conservative for even Idaho.

Who was the last and maybe only Idaho politician to run for president on a major party ticket, and won four states in the primary?

Bonus: Which party and which states did he win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
LBJ in 1964. I guess Goldwater was too conservative for even Idaho.

Who was the last and maybe only Idaho politician to run for president on a major party ticket, and won four states in the primary?

Bonus: Which party and which states did he win?
Goldwater never had a chance. Johnson won in a landslide. Red/Blue didn't really matter back then.

I'm going to take a guess, Frank Church. And that is not looking anything up, so I could be completely wrong!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
pw72, you're right, and I had to look it up, the question piqued my interest:
Quote:
In 1976, Church sought the Democratic nomination for president. Although he won primaries in Nebraska, Idaho, Oregon and Montana, he withdrew in favor of the eventual nominee, former Georgia governor Jimmy Carter. Church remains the only Idahoan to win a major-party presidential primary election.
I didn't know anything about Church back in the day. What a difference it could have made if we could have had Church over Carter. FWIW, without the great public distaste for Carter, Reagan might not have been elected.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Here's my question: Which famous female spent some time in Eagle City, ID, during the heyday of the gold mines? She made a living as a gambler for a while in Spokane until she missed the civilized manners of Deadwood and returned to ND. That's giving you too much info right there...but you need to come up with her full name, not just a nickname!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Here's my question: Which famous female spent some time in Eagle City, ID, during the heyday of the gold mines? She made a living as a gambler for a while in Spokane until she missed the civilized manners of Deadwood and returned to ND. That's giving you too much info right there...but you need to come up with her full name, not just a nickname!
I seem to recall Annie Oaklie was in NID at some time in the past, so that's my final answer. Was it Eagle City though? The city of Eagle, ID (between Pritchard and Murry) was once the largest or one of the largest cities in the state back during gold rush days of the late 1800s. I know Wyatt Erp spent time there. I think "Eagle City" is somewhere else, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Jumping back to the fire of 1910.. I was watching a show on Idaho Public TV about St. Maries..
The flames of that fire were said to reach a mile high.. Also the timber lost in that fire would have supplied the whole US for 15 years.. The prized white pine had almost half a million people living in the area working in the timber industry.. Pretty incredible stuff.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Jumping back to the fire of 1910.. I was watching a show on Idaho Public TV about St. Maries..
The flames of that fire were said to reach a mile high.. Also the timber lost in that fire would have supplied the whole US for 15 years.. The prized white pine had almost half a million people living in the area working in the timber industry.. Pretty incredible stuff.
There was a whole lot of history in them thar hills back in those days. I saw that same show. I just picked up a new book last night at the museum of NID last night, its "The Big Burn, The Northwest's Great Forset Fire of 1910" (not Egan's book by a similar title). It looks to be pretty good, lots of photos and first hand accounts of the fires. Wallace was about 1/3 burned, Grand Forks ID and Taft, MT (on opposite ends of the Taft Tunnel) were destroyed, along with a number of other towns that no longer exist.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
WE had Calamity Jane living here in Midvale, ID.
Calamity Jane: the woman and the legend - Google Books

Second paragraph, third line up from the bottom.

Snowing here on the front porch today. Started out sunny this morning. Road up on the hill is turning white. Going to snuggle in this evening with a big pot of split pea soup and ham.

Enjoy your evening folks.

Chris

Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Well, CFF's question got me curious, I had to stop by the bookstore and pick up a new book on local history. It's Wyatt Erp and the CDA Gold, looks to cover the Pritchard-Murray area pretty heavily. Gotta settle down with a Black Butte porter and do some reading tonight. Shades, I'm thinking I'm wrong on AO, Clamity Jane was the one. Given that, got a new question for us??

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
LOL Was reading through the link and trying to figure her full name. Close as I can come up with is Martha Jane Canary.

Still reading to see if I can find the Canary link again. We live on W Canary Street here and there was a Canary that lived at the other end of this street. Been in the house several times. We bought our place from a Pickett and Canary's and a Picket family were close in MO. My neighbors sister was a Pickett and this is a pie slice off the old family ranch. They have owned it since 1913 or 1915. Sort of fun trying to put it all together. There is so much History in Midvale.

But it is maybe just a lucky guess for me.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho