Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,

It looks like I may be moving to Lewiston for the months of Oct, Nov, Dec for work (I work in the professional field). I'm 31 and used to living in larger cities (San Diego, Los Angeles) but am taking this position for a chance at a change of pace. I have several questions about Lewiston and all answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm likely going to be staying in temporary housing (ie apartments). Keeping that in mind, where is a fun, safe neighborhood to stay?

Are there any cultural, fun, music, art, theatre activitites?

Are there any social events for people my age group?

I love the outdoors and am excited about the possibility of hiking, biking, snowboarding, etc. What are some good recommendations?

Are there other things that shouldn't be missed in the area for the time frame? Obviously summer activities may not work out well. But, for instance, what about Yellowstone before they close it down?

Any advice in general about Lewiston in the fall/winter time frame? I truly have no experience with winter weather so this will be new to me.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:26 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Buy some real good keep you warm clothes...

Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

It's nice there the few times I have visited.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Lewiston is down in a valley, it's kind of the local "banana belt", runs 10 degrees or more warmer than much of NID. It's kind of a gateway of all kinds of outdoor activities, the confluence of 2 major rivers, and near lots of national forest. IIRC there is some sort of "green belt" trail that runs down along the rivers. I don't know alot about artsie or cultural activities. You're a pretty short hop up to Moscow/Pullman (college towns), you might find more of those activities there.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
Lewiston is pretty cool, cept for that sour kraut smell from the Potlach mill... Once your there a bit you dont really notice it though..

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,510 times
Thanks for the replies. Seems fairly positive. I've heard about the smell. I can't imagine that it's worse than manure or LA city traffic/smog?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koi1217 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Seems fairly positive. I've heard about the smell. I can't imagine that it's worse than manure or LA city traffic/smog?
I would agree with that absolutely... The smog is a killer here, and I drive by cow farms that make my eyes water worse than the smog...

There is ALOT of amazing country within striking distance of Lewiston too..

Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Hello,

It looks like I may be moving to Lewiston for the months of Oct, Nov, Dec for work (I work in the professional field). I'm 31 and used to living in larger cities (San Diego, Los Angeles) but am taking this position for a chance at a change of pace. I have several questions about Lewiston and all answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm likely going to be staying in temporary housing (ie apartments). Keeping that in mind, where is a fun, safe neighborhood to stay?

I love the outdoors and am excited about the possibility of hiking, biking, snowboarding, etc. What are some good recommendations?

Are there other things that shouldn't be missed in the area for the time frame? Obviously summer activities may not work out well. But, for instance, what about Yellowstone before they close it down?

Any advice in general about Lewiston in the fall/winter time frame? I truly have no experience with winter weather so this will be new to me.

Thanks again!
You know, Koi, I think you may not be getting a lot of responses because your questions are rather broad. This forum actually has a lot of threads that will answer some of your questions, if you do a search on "Lewiston." I'll try to give you some ideas, anyway. I'm really only familiar with Eastern WA, North Idaho and NW Montana, so I'm not the right person to give you advice on activities in L, but I'm very familiar with Spokane, and that's within reasonable driving distance for weekend trips--a fairly big city with lots of cultural activities.

As far as sightseeing goes, you'll have the advantage of being able to catch the fall color at its best--and if you plan on doing weekend side trips, it almost doesn't matter where you go in North Central or North Idaho, there'll be vistas that'll take your breath away. If you're used to getting around mostly on freeways, you'll have to plan for more driving time, since there aren't a lot of freeways where you're going. With shorter days ahead (you don't want to drive in the dark on unfamiliar mountain roads) you should plan on 2 days just to get to Yellowstone. Of course it's worth a visit, but you may also consider this trip (the earlier the better, because of the possibility of snow): North on 95 through Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint to Bonners Ferry, and then east into Montana on 2 through Kalispel to Glacier, if the roads are open. Then south on 93 along Flathead Lake to Missoula, down through Lolo to 12 and west into Idaho along the Lochsa, and back to Lewiston that way. That can be done in 4-5 days in good weather, and it'll give you a really good impression of the entire region, with attractive towns as well as awesome landscapes. But some of the roads are quite a challenge, so be careful!

As far as clothes go--DR is right, Cabela's is a good place, and what you need is a warm jacket/coat that extends below your waist, lined boots, and gloves/mittens! Your feet and hands are going to get cold! But it will be a novelty, especially if you're going to go back south in January.

Enjoy the experience--and maybe you'll like it so much that you'll want to come back!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 361,233 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks again!
There is a community theater that usually runs plays all year round. It's not professional so probably not what you're used to in larger cities. A simple google search would probably tell you everything you need to know.

There are at least half a dozen ski areas within driving distance.

The weather is very mild in the winter......mild as in mild for Idaho. Obviously don't expect a mediterranean climate like you've enjoyed in Socal. It doesn't snow often, but it can snow up to a couple of feet (unlikely). Temps are usually 20-30s for the lows and 40s for the highs, sometimes higher.

There are some local smaller art exhibits which may interest you especially if you're interested in Native American culture or old west type stuff.

As for neighborhoods, there isn't any ghettos or slums like you've seen in larger cities, and crime is very very low. Violent crime like murder/rape etc is like a big story and really pretty rare.

The only semi-dicey neighbohoods would be: anywhere in North Lewiston (north of the Clearwater), the residential areas directly south and east of the downtown area, but north of the Normal Hill area.

Best bets are the Elks area, Normal Hill (college students present), up in the Orchards.

You'll probably find it pretty rural compared to what you're coming from. The total for Lewiston-Clarkston-Asotin is just over 100,000 people IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho