Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
You could read that?
Ex-Idahoan: Dude...grammar and punctuation: they're not just for breakfast anymore.
I just hope he isn't a product of a school system supported by my tax dollars. If so I want my money back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,498 times
I am choking on my bowl of Soup fellers. Toyman and company still have it. I almost breathed in a carrot when I read your replies boys. I am not going to even try and compete.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM

382 posts, read 1,032,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
You could read that?
Ex-Idahoan: Dude...grammar and punctuation: they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Sure I could read it. LOL It took some doing but I got it done!!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,315 times
Hi Tired,

Hopefully you take "ex"'s off handed remarks with a grain of salt, or a grain of "delete".

I don't really know what to say about the "stinky" men, I don't go around sniffing people. I will say that you will see guys that look dirty, I would have to say it is from hard work, there are a lot of loggers up here and it is hard work and can be quite a dirty job...so ya, you may see them at the grocery store picking up the milk, eggs, and beer on the way home. I rather have hard working respecting folk than spiffy dressed, pretty smelling "gangstas" any day.

Like with everything though, there are some grains of truth in that post.

I will say, don't take winters lightly. I'm from Eastern Canada, I can't stand winter, I don't care what country I'm in, I don't like winter (I'm here for family). My wife, is from Oceanside, CA, she loves winter. I know, it's backwards, but it is what it is. If I had my choice, we would be somewhere warm, with warm sand replacing snow.

Okay, now that that is out of the way. We are in N. Idaho, about 25 minutes from Coeur D'Alene. It is truly God's country. If you have to deal with winter, this is the part of the country to do it in, the winters are dry cold instead of the wet-can't dress for it-cut you to the bone-back east winters, so for me, it is tolerable and at times even enjoyable. The rest of the time of the year, I'm a happy happy camper, even in "mud" season...also known as spring to some of the people up here.

Hot days of summer give way to a nice cool down in the evening. So you always get a respite from the heat, even on the hottest days. There is nothing comparable to the summers up here, even if they are short in comparison to a SoCal summer.

You guys say you like the outdoors? You will be in heaven. I can't say much more than that, you just will be.

Okay, now for the other grain of truth. Unlike Cali, you need to get the job found BEFORE you get here. My wife and I moved here from the Bay area and moved on a prayer. We had no jobs, sold our house and just bought another that we found in four days (and 40 houses) of looking. I was a VP for a multi national and my wife a 26 year fed gov employee. It took her two years to find a clerks job back in the government and I went from six figures to starting out by changing oil at the Sandpoint Shell Rapid Lube for $7/hour. Sure, now I help run a company, but I still earn less than a quarter of what I did, but you know what, to us....let me repeat that....to US, the amount of money doesn't matter as much. We had some pretty serious financial issues for a while, but it all worked out and we adjusted. Our goal was to be closer to family to be able to visit with them, it wasn't to become wealthy, we accomplished both of those goals . There is a saying in N. Idaho, if you want to be a millionaire here, move here with 2 million and wait a year. The bottom line is it is very doable, just make sure you are aware, prepared, and understand what it might take, and what you are willing to do without to get to your goal.

Not to make it completely negative on the whole money thing, I could probably double or triple my income by driving into Spokane, but I like living where I am, I drive about 18 minutes along a river to get to work...I had enough of "commuting", so that is the sacrifice I made, less income for closer to home and no stress.

Don't know if that tells you anything or not, hope it gave you something.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 37,855 times
Thanks Idahojan for your thoughts. That is very helpful in our decision making process.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,498 times
Something else to consider. The people up here are what America used to be all over. These guys build their own houses, clear fields by the acre, and are very family oriented. The folks here know how to do just about anything that needs to be done. I guess the pioneer spirit is still alive out here. Californians (such as I used to be) worked hard, but not like the people here. These guys put a roof on in one day and then go shooting at the local range that night.

I know guys in their 60's and 70's still doing construction work, plowing fields, etc. The folks are mainly honest, down to earth, independent salt of the earth types. You get a few transplants from Cali who still want to live the lifestyle, but I don't see them lasting very long. One thing I have learned. Shut-up listen and learn. CA is in the past and should remain so. There is so much to learn about this state and it's people that I get up everyday with a grin. I hope one day someone will mistake me for a hard working local, not one of those guys from CA.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM

15 posts, read 54,527 times
and please dont play it like city people cant build anything hahahah lets see you country pokes build a 200 story friggin steel building stright up baby and climb around all day with out ropes with out killing yourslef city people are way ahead of country people i read alot of posts about people and their dirty hands building their own homes at 60 and 70 yrs old and this is what americas about and all that garbage trash can stuff and what not but let me tell you unless youve seen some big contsruction sites in the big city you dont know what americas about some big citites have the most techno buildings in the world and alot of hard working city people put alot of sweat into building them high rizes and sky scrapers and their amazing , our great country isnt just about being a country folk buidling a home with vynyl siding its about how in 100 years this countries bacame super succefull in technology propelling us beyond everyone else , There is good things about california i know ive lived there and good things about idaho although idaho does not comptete with california or there would be 40 million people there living food for thought is always good for breackfast

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM

161 posts, read 396,432 times
Hi Tired,

I too am moving the family from Southern California for pretty much the same reasons. I've visited multiple times now, including in the dead of winter (albeit a mild one this year I'm told), to make sure the move is right for us.

The advice on a job is sound. But the unemployment rate up there is MUCH better than down here in San Bernardino Co. (pushing 20%).

Don't worry about all the anti-California rhetoric, as long as you are moving to make your life as an Idahoan and not make Idaho into a California, you will be fine with the locals...as a matter of fact most of the people I've been working with up there (mortgage co, insurance guys, constructions companies) are transplants from California...some decades ago, others recently. Seeing it from their point of view, the more crowded it gets, the less "Idaho" it gets. So I understand.

Good luck on your research!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:42 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
I live on the East Coast , and initially , wasn't gonna comment , but after reading through 2 poorly dictated 'paragraphs' with a combined total of 5 sentences(the 2nd being one) , something is definitely amiss somewhere. LOL!!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex idahohoan View Post
Ill answer your questions i lived in idaho8 yrs and hated it , it was aliving hell cost of livings fairly good but what work is there evn attorney's run from north idaho unless your loaded with a big bank aact be carefull you may find yr self broke ,cold and running out to, funny i was going to san fran on i 5 south of portland and i seen like 10 cars with k for kootenai county on their plates from idaho all loaded up with u hauls and all and these people looked like they finally got out of prizon smiling happy and ready for a new chnage and venture in their lives .Wheather is 2 falls a winter and a short measily hot summer 8 to 9 mos of cold cloudy wheather itll get to may and wham go from 50 to 90 in days then in late sept or oct goes from 90 to 40 in days and in mid winter its a sub zero area misearble sonoma beach . Homes are priced low but resale is one of the worst in the usa be carefull id say rent to be safe and taxes are real low in idaho very good there.For me a sun bum i hated it and i like to make 250k a yr not 15k a year and lastly as for the people there most the guys stink in idaho bunch of mucho tough racist **** cajon types with big trucks and big wheels and very very unfreindly the women deserve real men hahaha and arent to shabby ladies are nice and kewl in idaho and most the guys sticnk and i mean that literally i cant count the times of seeing dirty looking guys i mean dirty hands dirty faces dirty hair and dirty closthes like its a fad to be lazy and not clean up makes em tough i use to tell my brother we are both special forces tough sm,elling makes for a tough time hahahaha I been around the globe and around alomst all states north idaho and bend orgeon are close relatives lol Idhaos a safe area but thats about it no big snow caps no beaches nothing you really look at and say oh my gawd lookat that its like bend orgeon hills trees cold boring slow no jobs red necks fluttering around burning up gas left and right and winetrs that make you wish you were in sonoma california good luck being a famous patato in idaho id give it a thumbs down unless hitch hiking out of there after loosing everything you own you may find yr self with yr thumbs up lol California a big state i always say you in s cal and want change dont go to idaho the culture shock will drive you nuts try northern cal , you want desolation go to weed cali its more desolant than idaho or try redding plus as they say in idaho we dont want you dman californians coming here so stay home lol yr ruining our already ruined area evn more lol and watch out for the kkk and the neo nazis they live in every other home id say stay in california
You have the same "expert" grammer as a poster from a few days ago. Get real.

Redding, CA is a great place - grew up there. Lots of meth heads, crack heads, and pot heads. I enjoyed the area, but its taken a beating in last two years - Unemployment in Shasta county tops 20%.

Some people hate Idaho - but perhaps they Idaho they remember isn't the Idaho of today. I have found everything I have learned about todays Idaho to be much better than anything California has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho