Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

Interesting seeing this thread come back to life. As to the damp, cold, grey thing, I guess it's all relative. I'm from the Buffalo area, so to me, NID winters are mild, in terms of amount of snow, temperature and the amount of sunny days.

Most of the time, temps are pretty mild, often rising close to or above freezing on winter days. Which is a mixed blessing, in that it can lead to ice buildup on the roads. These temps do seem to bring on some "damp" days. Just the same, the wind is pretty mild. It doesn't feel nearly as cold around here in winter as a 30 degree, 100% humidity day with a 40 mph wind did back east. When it's cooler, it's generally drier and more pleasant outside. I generally find it comfortable outside with just a sweatshirt when it's around 20 and I'm working at all.

Few things are prettier than a nice, sunny winter day around here, after a nice snowfall. OK, at least once you're done plowing/shoveling the white crap. And there are FAR more sunny days here in the winter than what Buffalo offered, YMMV. The biggest issue for me personally is that we're sufficiently far north that daylight hours are very short in the winter, I heard on the radio today that sunset is officially at 4:00. And yes, the nice weather seasons are short, especially this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
I second the dry cold in Colorado. There is a noticeable difference.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 AM

526 posts, read 1,755,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex idahohoan View Post
Ill answer your questions i lived in idaho8 yrs and hated it , it was aliving hell cost of livings fairly good but what work is there evn attorney's run from north idaho unless your loaded with a big bank aact be carefull you may find yr self broke ,cold and running out to, funny i was going to san fran on i 5 south of portland and i seen like 10 cars with k for kootenai county on their plates from idaho all loaded up with u hauls and all and these people looked like they finally got out of prizon smiling happy and ready for a new chnage and venture in their lives .Wheather is 2 falls a winter and a short measily hot summer 8 to 9 mos of cold cloudy wheather itll get to may and wham go from 50 to 90 in days then in late sept or oct goes from 90 to 40 in days and in mid winter its a sub zero area misearble sonoma beach . Homes are priced low but resale is one of the worst in the usa be carefull id say rent to be safe and taxes are real low in idaho very good there.For me a sun bum i hated it and i like to make 250k a yr not 15k a year and lastly as for the people there most the guys stink in idaho bunch of mucho tough racist **** cajon types with big trucks and big wheels and very very unfreindly the women deserve real men hahaha and arent to shabby ladies are nice and kewl in idaho and most the guys sticnk and i mean that literally i cant count the times of seeing dirty looking guys i mean dirty hands dirty faces dirty hair and dirty closthes like its a fad to be lazy and not clean up makes em tough i use to tell my brother we are both special forces tough sm,elling makes for a tough time hahahaha I been around the globe and around alomst all states north idaho and bend orgeon are close relatives lol Idhaos a safe area but thats about it no big snow caps no beaches nothing you really look at and say oh my gawd lookat that its like bend orgeon hills trees cold boring slow no jobs red necks fluttering around burning up gas left and right and winetrs that make you wish you were in sonoma california good luck being a famous patato in idaho id give it a thumbs down unless hitch hiking out of there after loosing everything you own you may find yr self with yr thumbs up lol California a big state i always say you in s cal and want change dont go to idaho the culture shock will drive you nuts try northern cal , you want desolation go to weed cali its more desolant than idaho or try redding plus as they say in idaho we dont want you dman californians coming here so stay home lol yr ruining our already ruined area evn more lol and watch out for the kkk and the neo nazis they live in every other home id say stay in california
After reading your rant filled with incorrect spellings and run-on sentences, I can assure you that you will never acquire a job that pays 250k/year.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM

69 posts, read 155,818 times
Thirding the dry cold observation! I've spent hours in the snow out here in single digit temperatures this year, and it's nothing like the cold I grew up with in the South/Midwest, or the wet-blanket-bone-chilling cold I've experienced in NY and Vermont. Humid cold seeps into your clothes and makes it seem impossible to dress for the weather. Your hands and feet freeze faster and the wind cuts through you like a blade. Dry cold is so easy by comparison!

Oh, how I love it here. I hope you find what you're looking for, TiredCalifornian. Idaho isn't for everyone--no place is--but for my little family it's a paradise. And hey, shoveling snow and chopping wood are very good exercise.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM

39 posts, read 100,636 times
Quote:
Ill answer your questions i lived in idaho8 yrs and hated it , it was aliving hell cost of livings fairly good but what work is there evn attorney's run from north idaho unless your loaded with a big bank aact be carefull you may find yr self broke ,cold and running out to, funny i was going to san fran on i 5 south of portland and i seen like 10 cars with k for kootenai county on their plates from idaho all loaded up with u hauls and all and these people looked like they finally got out of prizon smiling happy and ready for a new chnage and venture in their lives .Wheather is 2 falls a winter and a short measily hot summer 8 to 9 mos of cold cloudy wheather itll get to may and wham go from 50 to 90 in days then in late sept or oct goes from 90 to 40 in days and in mid winter its a sub zero area misearble sonoma beach . Homes are priced low but resale is one of the worst in the usa be carefull id say rent to be safe and taxes are real low in idaho very good there.For me a sun bum i hated it and i like to make 250k a yr not 15k a year and lastly as for the people there most the guys stink in idaho bunch of mucho tough racist **** cajon types with big trucks and big wheels and very very unfreindly the women deserve real men hahaha and arent to shabby ladies are nice and kewl in idaho and most the guys sticnk and i mean that literally i cant count the times of seeing dirty looking guys i mean dirty hands dirty faces dirty hair and dirty closthes like its a fad to be lazy and not clean up makes em tough i use to tell my brother we are both special forces tough sm,elling makes for a tough time hahahaha I been around the globe and around alomst all states north idaho and bend orgeon are close relatives lol Idhaos a safe area but thats about it no big snow caps no beaches nothing you really look at and say oh my gawd lookat that its like bend orgeon hills trees cold boring slow no jobs red necks fluttering around burning up gas left and right and winetrs that make you wish you were in sonoma california good luck being a famous patato in idaho id give it a thumbs down unless hitch hiking out of there after loosing everything you own you may find yr self with yr thumbs up lol California a big state i always say you in s cal and want change dont go to idaho the culture shock will drive you nuts try northern cal , you want desolation go to weed cali its more desolant than idaho or try redding plus as they say in idaho we dont want you dman californians coming here so stay home lol yr ruining our already ruined area evn more lol and watch out for the kkk and the neo nazis they live in every other home id say stay in california
My word! Could you please use proper english? I literally could not understand half of what I was reading! And I'm 15! Go back to school.. seriously..
Where exactly did you see these "smelly, dirty men?" In downtown Boise? Or maybe you saw a farmer after an Idaho day's worth of work going to the store, or driving somewhere. And rednecks? Nazis? Are you serious?
If you really and truly hate cold winters so much, why in the world would you move to Northern Idaho? And are there really no beaches in Idaho? I could have sworn it was bordering the Sea of Cortez...
I've never been to Idaho in my life, yet have completely fallen in love with it. I am quite offended by your very disrespectful post. You have completely dissed the whole state of Idaho, and could have very easily turned a newcomer with no knowledge of this beautiful state away from it. You have no right to be in this post if you are describe the state of Idaho as the complete opposite of what it really is. Sure, there isn't as money in Idaho. But there isn't as much cost, now is there? You can't come to the country in the mountains and expect a high salary job to just appear in front of your face. Come prepared, and you might just make it. As people have said, Idaho isn't for everyone. But if you have what it takes to live in it's ruggedness, you'll love it like nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymon View Post
and please dont play it like city people cant build anything hahahah lets see you country pokes build a 200 story friggin steel building stright up baby and climb around all day with out ropes with out killing yourslef city people are way ahead of country people i read alot of posts about people and their dirty hands building their own homes at 60 and 70 yrs old and this is what americas about and all that garbage trash can stuff and what not but let me tell you unless youve seen some big contsruction sites in the big city you dont know what americas about some big citites have the most techno buildings in the world and alot of hard working city people put alot of sweat into building them high rizes and sky scrapers and their amazing , our great country isnt just about being a country folk buidling a home with vynyl siding its about how in 100 years this countries bacame super succefull in technology propelling us beyond everyone else , There is good things about california i know ive lived there and good things about idaho although idaho does not comptete with california or there would be 40 million people there living food for thought is always good for breackfast
Are you ex-idaho's brother? You have the same speech impediments so I'm thinking you might have gone to the same school or something. Hey! Maybe you could rejoin with him! =D
Did you know that you put your own point down with what you said? You said that America is all about the hard work that city slickers put into their home, but then you said that 60 and 70 year olds are building their own houses? When have you ever seen a 65 year old man building a house in LA? Lots of hard work, huh? You also said that city folk put lots of sweat into their work, and that California doesnt even compare to Idaho - if it did, wouldn't there be just as many people in Idaho as there were in California? There are 40 mil people in California because they're taking the easy way out! There is no easy way out in Idaho, that's why there isn't as many people there - but that's why Idaho is so spectacular. The people really make Idaho what it is. They're friendly and hard-working. Only the people who really work can live somewhere where their work could save their well-being. You don't find that in the cities of California - you find Mexicans who are American-wannabe's that deal drugs and have crossed the border illegally. (No offense to Mexicans in any way - I'm just sick of hearing Spanish everywhere)

Last edited by Love_Idaho; 01-07-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,498 times
Food for thought. This thread is 95 percent positive with two exceptions. Wondering why heymon would be perusing this thread trying to draw folks into an argument. How about starting a high steel thread and leave the good folks on this one alone. If you are a big city dweller more power to ya. We promise we won't go over to your high steel thread and denigrate you and your construction buddies.

The majority of people on this thread have a common interest and enjoy posting here. We don't need sophomoric comments from those who only look for trouble.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 AM

10 posts, read 57,011 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but that was one of the most poorly written pieces I have ever read. You are putting down Idaho and talking about how you love to make $215k a year? Who are you trying to fool? I've lived in California my entire life (born and raised in 1971), it's miserable here and you can't find an English speaking radio program to save your life. It's over priced, over populated and so liberal that the entire state has tanked, and won't be recovering. You are trying to prove a point, but the fact is.... I think you have proven just the opposite of what you're trying to say. You are a dunce, and that you are talking so badly about these people shows just what kind of a person you actually are. No wonder you were treated to badly. It sounds like you weren't the most open minded guy. I am making the move to Idaho with my 2 daughters and we cannot wait to get out of So Cal. The summer here lasts from May to October. 115 degrees in July? No thank you. I'll take the cold any day of the week. You are a very negative person, from what I can decipher, and you probably aren't wanted anywhere. Except maybe So Cal, where your grammar, writing skills and punctuation are typical and, sadly, normal for most of the half wits that live out here. You have made me even more resolved to make the big move north. I really gotta get outta this place.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM

10 posts, read 57,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Idaho View Post
My word! Could you please use proper english? I literally could not understand half of what I was reading! And I'm 15! Go back to school.. seriously..
Where exactly did you see these "smelly, dirty men?" In downtown Boise? Or maybe you saw a farmer after an Idaho day's worth of work going to the store, or driving somewhere. And rednecks? Nazis? Are you serious?
If you really and truly hate cold winters so much, why in the world would you move to Northern Idaho? And are there really no beaches in Idaho? I could have sworn it was bordering the Sea of Cortez...
I've never been to Idaho in my life, yet have completely fallen in love with it. I am quite offended by your very disrespectful post. You have completely dissed the whole state of Idaho, and could have very easily turned a newcomer with no knowledge of this beautiful state away from it. You have no right to be in this post if you are describe the state of Idaho as the complete opposite of what it really is. Sure, there isn't as money in Idaho. But there isn't as much cost, now is there? You can't come to the country in the mountains and expect a high salary job to just appear in front of your face. Come prepared, and you might just make it. As people have said, Idaho isn't for everyone. But if you have what it takes to live in it's ruggedness, you'll love it like nothing else.

Are you ex-idaho's brother? You have the same speech impediments so I'm thinking you might have gone to the same school or something. Hey! Maybe you could rejoin with him! =D
Did you know that you put your own point down with what you said? You said that America is all about the hard work that city slickers put into their home, but then you said that 60 and 70 year olds are building their own houses? When have you ever seen a 65 year old man building a house in LA? Lots of hard work, huh? You also said that city folk put lots of sweat into their work, and that California doesnt even compare to Idaho - if it did, wouldn't there be just as many people in Idaho as there were in California? There are 40 mil people in California because they're taking the easy way out! There is no easy way out in Idaho, that's why there isn't as many people there - but that's why Idaho is so spectacular. The people really make Idaho what it is. They're friendly and hard-working. Only the people who really work can live somewhere where their work could save their well-being. You don't find that in the cities of California - you find Mexicans who are American-wannabe's that deal drugs and have crossed the border illegally. (No offense to Mexicans in any way - I'm just sick of hearing Spanish everywhere)
heymon forgot to mention that the people that are building the high rise buildings in LA and big cities are undocumented illegal aliens who get paid under the table. That is also the reason why there are so many people in California. Ive been here my whole life and it's a miserable pit of existence. Welfare, food stamps and crime. My kid's high school calls everynight with "messages" from the school board, most of the messages are in Spanish. There is no English left here. The governor just signed in a bill that allows illegal aliens a free college education on the taxpayers dime. That happened! We didn't even get a vote on it! So yeah, be prepared for 40 million MORE people flooding in, Im getting out asap.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM

99 posts, read 264,058 times
Orange County California has perfect weather and is very conservative. Can't compare LA to the Beach communities. Also I see nothing wrong with Spanish speaking. It would do most people good to be bi-lingual.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Orange County California has perfect weather and is very conservative. Can't compare LA to the Beach communities. Also I see nothing wrong with Spanish speaking. It would do most people good to be bi-lingual.
Very conservative? OC? You're thinking of SOUTH OC only, which is only about 15% of the whole county population. When I was growing up there, we used to call it "living behind the orange curtain" because the county was so republican. Those days are LONG gone (like 20 years ago). The Anaheim-Santa Ana metro area is as politically left as any other urban area.

JoryJim, there's nothing wrong with being bi-lingual. But there's a whole 'nother thing wrong with having to be bi-lingual to survive in your own country IMO. Of course, that's a political discussion for the P&OC forum since it's a hotly debated subject and best not delved into too deeply in a state forum area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho