Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM

8 posts, read 37,758 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 30's looking for a great area to start a family and build a life together. We are both native Californians and our families are also here. We are tired of the hustle and bustle, traffic, lack of english speaking individuals, cost of living, inconsideration, self centered people, the amount I have to work to pay a mortgage etc.... I could go on and on. We met someone that was from CDA and he raived about how wonderful it was which jogged our interest in relocating. I am a nurse and my husband has experience in the restaurant business and home development industry. We love being outdoors and enjoy biking, hiking, walking our dog, snowboarding, boating, surfing and many other activities. We currently own a home in one of the southbay beach cities and need to keep it at this point due to this horrible economy.

We have several concerns about relaocating: 1. Cost of living 2. Availability of jobs 3. Weather 4. Home purchase prices/rental availability 5. Taxes (what are they in Idaho?) property and sales?

If there is anyone who has relocated from Southern California I would be interested to hear how your transition was and your thoughts on CDA.

Thank you in advance for your advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,252,058 times
Welcome to the forum! Just put 're' in front of your name and that describes me.
1&5) I find it overall less. It is pretty easy having less taxes than CA. Sales tax in Idaho is 6% and CA can have over 10. There is a nice $100K deduction in the property tax so if you have a modest home that is substantial. I find meals in restaurants less. I find deals in grocery stores on homemade stuff less. Electric is way way less. Not sure what CA is on natural gas per therm, but Avista is going down (if you can even imagine that) to 80 cents. Gas for your car is less too.
2) Can't help you there, but from reading on here you are better to have a job lined up.
3) CDA actually HAS weather, vastly different than SoCal. I like cold way more than hot, but you may be different.
4) I sold a home in CA for $211/ft and bought one up here for $90.

In CDA, you feel like you should, like you are in America. Every single experience I have had has been positive, right down to going to DMV. I am still IN transition.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,426,514 times
Good luck to you! I just made the move from Slow Cal myself... My only regret is I didnt do it in my early 30's like you, instead of almost 40 now
BTW you wont even find Spanish on the radio up here..lol...
Gas is $2.44 a gal, and things in general are cheaper..

Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM

420 posts, read 1,189,351 times
Transition is the simple part. You better have some serious money tucked away or have a firm job before you come. Employment is tough up here not like California where you can always find something.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 19,274 times
Ill answer your questions i lived in idaho8 yrs and hated it , it was aliving hell cost of livings fairly good but what work is there evn attorney's run from north idaho unless your loaded with a big bank aact be carefull you may find yr self broke ,cold and running out to, funny i was going to san fran on i 5 south of portland and i seen like 10 cars with k for kootenai county on their plates from idaho all loaded up with u hauls and all and these people looked like they finally got out of prizon smiling happy and ready for a new chnage and venture in their lives .Wheather is 2 falls a winter and a short measily hot summer 8 to 9 mos of cold cloudy wheather itll get to may and wham go from 50 to 90 in days then in late sept or oct goes from 90 to 40 in days and in mid winter its a sub zero area misearble sonoma beach . Homes are priced low but resale is one of the worst in the usa be carefull id say rent to be safe and taxes are real low in idaho very good there.For me a sun bum i hated it and i like to make 250k a yr not 15k a year and lastly as for the people there most the guys stink in idaho bunch of mucho tough racist **** cajon types with big trucks and big wheels and very very unfreindly the women deserve real men hahaha and arent to shabby ladies are nice and kewl in idaho and most the guys sticnk and i mean that literally i cant count the times of seeing dirty looking guys i mean dirty hands dirty faces dirty hair and dirty closthes like its a fad to be lazy and not clean up makes em tough i use to tell my brother we are both special forces tough sm,elling makes for a tough time hahahaha I been around the globe and around alomst all states north idaho and bend orgeon are close relatives lol Idhaos a safe area but thats about it no big snow caps no beaches nothing you really look at and say oh my gawd lookat that its like bend orgeon hills trees cold boring slow no jobs red necks fluttering around burning up gas left and right and winetrs that make you wish you were in sonoma california good luck being a famous patato in idaho id give it a thumbs down unless hitch hiking out of there after loosing everything you own you may find yr self with yr thumbs up lol California a big state i always say you in s cal and want change dont go to idaho the culture shock will drive you nuts try northern cal , you want desolation go to weed cali its more desolant than idaho or try redding plus as they say in idaho we dont want you dman californians coming here so stay home lol yr ruining our already ruined area evn more lol and watch out for the kkk and the neo nazis they live in every other home id say stay in california

Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredCalifornian View Post
My husband and I are in our early 30's looking for a great area to start a family and build a life together. We are both native Californians and our families are also here. We are tired of the hustle and bustle, traffic, lack of english speaking individuals, cost of living, inconsideration, self centered people, the amount I have to work to pay a mortgage etc.... I could go on and on. We met someone that was from CDA and he raived about how wonderful it was which jogged our interest in relocating. I am a nurse and my husband has experience in the restaurant business and home development industry. We love being outdoors and enjoy biking, hiking, walking our dog, snowboarding, boating, surfing and many other activities. We currently own a home in one of the southbay beach cities and need to keep it at this point due to this horrible economy.

We have several concerns about relaocating: 1. Cost of living 2. Availability of jobs 3. Weather 4. Home purchase prices/rental availability 5. Taxes (what are they in Idaho?) property and sales?

If there is anyone who has relocated from Southern California I would be interested to hear how your transition was and your thoughts on CDA.

Thank you in advance for your advise
Visit, visit, visit! Even if it costs money that you might have been able to put toward the move, don't make any decisions until you've visited CdA at least three times at different times of year. It's just the two of you, so treat it like a second honeymoon, do one fall or winter fly-in, into the snow (fly to Spokane and rent a car), then do a road trip next spring/summer, etc. You get my point. Treat it like an adventure rather than a desperation-move. It is too huge a decision to make based on hear-say. Develop a connection to your new place before actually moving. That's how most of the transplants on this board have proceeded, I think. Above all, I'll echo what you've read above (no, not immediately above! )--get jobs lined up before you pull up stakes!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 37,758 times
Thanks Clark! We definately agree with you, we are planning to come in November and then possibly in the spring time next year. We are not desperate, we have great jobs here and have the time to make a smart educated decision. I am hopeful that not everyone in Idaho will dislike us .... one bad apple is not enough to turn us away! We are good people just looking for a community that we can get involved in and have a family. We need to get a good feel for the area and community making sure it is a good fit. Overall I am very impressed with the community commitment that the people of Idaho have

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM

380 posts, read 1,027,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex idahohoan View Post
Ill answer your questions i lived in idaho8 yrs and hated it , it was aliving hell cost of livings fairly good but what work is there evn attorney's run from north idaho unless your loaded with a big bank aact be carefull you may find yr self broke ,cold and running out to, funny i was going to san fran on i 5 south of portland and i seen like 10 cars with k for kootenai county on their plates from idaho all loaded up with u hauls and all and these people looked like they finally got out of prizon smiling happy and ready for a new chnage and venture in their lives .Wheather is 2 falls a winter and a short measily hot summer 8 to 9 mos of cold cloudy wheather itll get to may and wham go from 50 to 90 in days then in late sept or oct goes from 90 to 40 in days and in mid winter its a sub zero area misearble sonoma beach . Homes are priced low but resale is one of the worst in the usa be carefull id say rent to be safe and taxes are real low in idaho very good there.For me a sun bum i hated it and i like to make 250k a yr not 15k a year and lastly as for the people there most the guys stink in idaho bunch of mucho tough racist **** cajon types with big trucks and big wheels and very very unfreindly the women deserve real men hahaha and arent to shabby ladies are nice and kewl in idaho and most the guys sticnk and i mean that literally i cant count the times of seeing dirty looking guys i mean dirty hands dirty faces dirty hair and dirty closthes like its a fad to be lazy and not clean up makes em tough i use to tell my brother we are both special forces tough sm,elling makes for a tough time hahahaha I been around the globe and around alomst all states north idaho and bend orgeon are close relatives lol Idhaos a safe area but thats about it no big snow caps no beaches nothing you really look at and say oh my gawd lookat that its like bend orgeon hills trees cold boring slow no jobs red necks fluttering around burning up gas left and right and winetrs that make you wish you were in sonoma california good luck being a famous patato in idaho id give it a thumbs down unless hitch hiking out of there after loosing everything you own you may find yr self with yr thumbs up lol California a big state i always say you in s cal and want change dont go to idaho the culture shock will drive you nuts try northern cal , you want desolation go to weed cali its more desolant than idaho or try redding plus as they say in idaho we dont want you dman californians coming here so stay home lol yr ruining our already ruined area evn more lol and watch out for the kkk and the neo nazis they live in every other home id say stay in california
WOW you really know Idaho! I never knew I had it so bad! Any suggestions on where a stinky redneck should move too so I can get some culture? I am kinda worried about ya...

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,049,033 times
Well, it's clear the Idaho public school systems just aren't working out for some.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
WOW you really know Idaho! I never knew I had it so bad! Any suggestions on where a stinky redneck should move too so I can get some culture? I am kinda worried about ya...
You could read that?
Ex-Idahoan: Dude...grammar and punctuation: they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho