Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times

Advertisements

Yes, you hear of bear attacks on very rare occasions, more so around Glacier Park where there are understandable reasons for them,and mountain lions have been known to stalk and follow hunters, but in N. Idaho you hardly ever hear of anyone actyually attacked or killed, even though the possibility is always there with any wild animal. As stated before, it is the moose that is the mose unpredictable. I have seen two unfortunate video where 2 different people that were minding their own business were stomped and killed very quickly by an adult moose because others had harassed it and they were agitated. I once had a coyote follow me directly across the road from me when I was walking, staring at me the whole time. I was less worried about 1 coyote killing me and more worried about rabies and its odd behavior. I had a bear run across the road right in front of me while walking, but it was in a hurry to get the heck out of there and not bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Here is a link to an article about a 19 year old woman who was killed by two Coyotes while hiking in Nova Scotia.

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park - Road Runner

I also thought that you enjoy the pic below of a Timber Wolf stalking a small Grizzly Bear.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Gee Trace sounds like you are out in the boonies sounds great. Just read an article in the paper where a guy shot a wolf near his house and got prosecuted for it. So I guess unless one of them is attacking your Basset hound or Pot Bellied Pig you had better leave em alone.
My place actually fronts hwy 95, 2 miles out of town, but when your on it it feels like your out in the boonies..

To be honest I seriously doubt I'll ever have to use a firearm for self defense against a 4 legged animal, but if it came right down to it being judged by 12 is better than carried by 6..

Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,416 times
Same here, I am about 1 1/2 miles from the 95 too. Quite a bit different here than the freeways of old Calif though.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
We will absolutely have self-defense plans once we have a cabin on our property--with the neighbor being stalked by a cougar all last winter, and all the scat we've seen (and it's all there, except for grizzly!), plus seeing the bear etc, we're not going to rely on being able to grin'em to death.

So we need to look into what ID law says about shooting animals on your property if you feel that your life is in danger. Hey Trace and Fisherman, it feels a bit unreal to have to take such precautions, doesn't it? Then again, we know what it's like to live in a general area where the predators are mostly of the human kind...

Rickers, loved the pic of Grizz and Wolf! Are you sure they're not just hanging out? Maybe they're cousins?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 110,910 times
You know, the best protection is a dog. They know/smell everything you dont/cant.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We will absolutely have self-defense plans once we have a cabin on our property--with the neighbor being stalked by a cougar all last winter, and all the scat we've seen (and it's all there, except for grizzly!), plus seeing the bear etc, we're not going to rely on being able to grin'em to death.

So we need to look into what ID law says about shooting animals on your property if you feel that your life is in danger. Hey Trace and Fisherman, it feels a bit unreal to have to take such precautions, doesn't it? Then again, we know what it's like to live in a general area where the predators are mostly of the human kind...

Rickers, loved the pic of Grizz and Wolf! Are you sure they're not just hanging out? Maybe they're cousins?

Not really CFF... I've been packing a roscoe in Slow Cal for years for 2 legged animal protection... Here its more a precauton, but like I said I havent really felt the need to carry a gun even when riding around in pretty remote area's... If you need any advice on firearms, just give me a holler pal

Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
A dog can be the worse thing to have with a bear out walking. They often run off after the bear and then the bear begins chasing them and the dog runs right back to you with a bear in pursuit.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
Bears are my favorite critters. I live near a fish creek that has the only known gathering of brown (grizzly to you) and black bears feasting together in relative peace. The brown bears never tolerate the blacks near their fishing spots but for some reason at this creek they allow the blacks long as they show respect and keep their distance. Here's some photos I took last summer: first, the fish

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/020_20_00.jpg (broken link)

AND MY FAVORITE

Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 AM

45 posts, read 110,910 times
I love those pictures. If I may ask, (or you dont mind answering) where are you located?
How far were you from the action?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho