Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 AM

45 posts, read 110,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
A dog can be the worse thing to have with a bear out walking. They often run off after the bear and then the bear begins chasing them and the dog runs right back to you with a bear in pursuit.
This really depends on the Dog. And the owner for sure. The dog can give time for you to get away, get the gun ready. And often times all thats needed is waning. Most dogs (guardian types are what I was thinking) aren't stupid enough to cause further problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 37,541 times
Didn’t you guys read the news out of Cataldo around Rose Lake.
A farmer who raises Elk on his property had to shoot and kill a grizzly that was trying to crawl thru the fence.
If you know the area, you know its right around the corner from Interstate 90 and Highway 2 Not the most rural area.
When I walk in the woods my trusty companion Moose who is a Cane Corso ( Mastiff type, however smaller 135 Lbs and more agile ) always comes along.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
The only issue I had with a moose (other than when they tried to take me out on the quad or in the car) involved my dog. We had a cow and calf hanging around our old place. They were fine, we would go out and watch them from a reasonable distance, they never acted bothered. Then the dog decides that the calf should play. He's going up to her, barking, down on his belly trying to get her to play with him. Mama didn't care for the attention, finally charged. Dang dog ran behind me for cover. Man's best friend my a$$. I had the .45 on the cow, thinking this could be bad for both of us (not enough gun and didn't want to shoot) She was within about 15 feet when she started to turn, her momentem carried her past me. Should have shot the dog...

As to typical critter danger...I should carry more often than I do, but other than that one time I've never had an issue.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
I am glad the moose missed Toyman. This forum would not be the same without em.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Not really CFF... I've been packing a roscoe in Slow Cal for years for 2 legged animal protection... Here its more a precauton, but like I said I havent really felt the need to carry a gun even when riding around in pretty remote area's... If you need any advice on firearms, just give me a holler pal
Hey Trace,
What I actually meant was that it seems unreal to have to watch our for animals when we're so used to watching out for the human predatorial kind...and I'm always willing to learn more about firearms!

About the dog stories: I know cougars just love dogs...yumm...so we expect to defend our big white dog, too, not just ourselves. And she'll freak when she sees moose and bear, so we'll have to take some kind of precautions. The good thing is of course that she'll alert if she smells strange critters...right now she spends most of the evening out on the deck barking at the coyotes. Well, they deserve to be barked at...they're taunting her right on the other side of the fence...

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 12-29-2009 at 01:01 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 04:50 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviewboy View Post
Didn’t you guys read the news out of Cataldo around Rose Lake.
A farmer who raises Elk on his property had to shoot and kill a grizzly that was trying to crawl thru the fence.
If you know the area, you know its right around the corner from Interstate 90 and Highway 2 Not the most rural area.
When I walk in the woods my trusty companion Moose who is a Cane Corso ( Mastiff type, however smaller 135 Lbs and more agile ) always comes along.
I'd have to say the freeway and a highway may run through there but it is pretty rural. My in laws live about a mile from the elk ranch and often have cougars on their property and right up by the house. A bear and coyotes are also common there.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
A grizzly trying to crawl through your fence is not a pretty sight. They are just plain mean compared to a black bear. They hunt and eat just about anything including people wearing Carhartts and working working on their fence. I have lived around black bears for years and never had a problem with em.

I have not encountered a grizzly yet and really don't want to. I just got these Carhartts.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
It was not a normal fence. It is a 10 foot fence around a private herd of elk. While I am not to surprised it happened it did get my attention when I saw it on the news because I was expecting it to be my father in law who shot it.

The animal I would be worried about the most would be wolves. At least they are being hunted now so the numbers are being reduced legally.. before it was just shoot and shut up.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM

15 posts, read 37,541 times
Well, I guess we have to be on the lookout for raccoons now.
In today's KREM news out of Wa.
Women and dog attacked by a vicious raccoon, it probably had rabies.

Any wildlife critter can be potentially dangerous.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviewboy View Post
Well, I guess we have to be on the lookout for raccoons now.
In today's KREM news out of Wa.
Women and dog attacked by a vicious raccoon, it probably had rabies.

Any wildlife critter can be potentially dangerous.
I've been on the lookout for a marauding raccoon all summer. That sneaky thing decimated my laying hens...I have only one poor girl left. It takes them and rips their heads right off...wastes the meat too.
We've never had a problem before this year when we had two Great Pyrenees. One kept track of things close to the house and one patrolled further out. We lost one Pyr this spring and the raccoon tood advantage. I've not been able to trap the darned thing either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho