Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

See the Video from television station KPVI about the three Stages of Change for the Idaho Falls Greenbelt and Taylor's Crossing (or read it, if you prefer).

From KPVI: NewsChannel6 - River and Greenbelt Near Taylor Crossing Being Dramatically Improved

KPVI Reporter Andrew Del Greco brings us this story:
River and Greenbelt Near Taylor Crossing Being Dramatically Improved

"Developers of Taylor Crossing in Idaho Falls are doing more than constructing new buildings, they're cleaning up the river and beautifying the greenbelt.

"As part of the Urban Renewal District, developers are in the middle of a three-phase project.

"First, trees were trimmed and weeds and shrubs were cleaned up along the river near Taylor Crossing.

"The second phase included removing hundreds of truckloads of garbage that had accumulated over the years -- everything from old piping and concrete to old mattresses and other items that people had dumped on the banks of the river.

"Developers are now in the third phase. They are expanding parts of the greenbelt by adding a secondary, lower level of the greenbelt, with flower gardens, sculptures and even decks along the river.

"Lorin Walker, Taylor Crossing: "This has been an industrial area and now we're taking it to the opposite extreme and creating a very quiet, romantic, clean, enjoyable experience from Broadway to Pancheri."
The expected completion date for the project is the end of 2008."

The flower gardens and continuining art work throughout Taylors Crossing on the River (Taylor Crossing on the River) are highlighted throughout the development.

Only recently were we told about the decks along the river. Lorin Walker has hinted, elsewhere, that these decks will be parts of restaurants and probably the very high tech reception center. And what I hope remains true, is the 2008 finish date.

T.C./McNeil Development has never been willing to give us a solid completion date for their new 5 story Marriott Residence Inn, the 13 story Condo Tower on the River, the other remaining commercial buildings and the row houses and other condos in the area.

Now, maybe some people can plan better. I've been told the Marriott Residence Inn is suppose to be open for Christmas 2008 - I saw there is sure a lot of work that needs done to make that deadline; but I have confidence McNeil can make it happen. :

So for those that are going to the Summer Days Festival on 8/18 (See---- //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...things-do.html), enjoy the view and take your cameras. It is very doubtful that either our skyline or shoreline, between Broadway and Pancheri, will ever look the same after this year.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-18-2007 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:56 AM

20 posts, read 95,516 times
Wink Thanks for Sharing!

You know, the Greenbelt area is one of the primary things that always draws my attention back to IF when hubby and I start debating about where to relocate to from Nebraska. It's been nice to watch the plans and progress, albeit from afar, with Taylor's Crossing, the beautification campaign, etc. And... it's really encouraging to see a river that isn't brown or super polluted with runoff, chemicals, garbage, etc. like we have here. I love that blue and clear water that you have out West!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 AM

Talking There is Much More than just T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoMoose View Post
You know, the Greenbelt area is one of the primary things that always draws my attention back to IF when hubby and I start debating about where to relocate to from Nebraska. It's been nice to watch the plans and progress, albeit from afar, with Taylor's Crossing, the beautification campaign, etc. And... it's really encouraging to see a river that isn't brown or super polluted with runoff, chemicals, garbage, etc. like we have here. I love that blue and clear water that you have out West!
IndigoMoose,

It always amazes me the number of people I've known who have lived in ID and NE. I'm glad you got to see a little bit of the Snake River as it has been cleaned up for Taylor's Crossing. T.C., if you haven't seen the pic, has the largest bronze statue in the U.S. It was unveiled one year ago today and has been in many photos of Idaho, let alone Idaho Falls in the past year. You can either click on it or just let the natural display of pics advance once click on their website: Taylor Crossing on the River

Apparently, at the Summer Festival today and in the future, replicas of this Bronze Mountain Lion with Eagles art can be purchased. I'm not sure what materials were used making the replicas. They can be seen a little better in these pics Miniature Bronzes Available.

Have you heard about the 400 acres south of Taylor's Crossing, called Snake River Landing? It is a mixed use development that will contain everything from businesses to office buildings, various types of homes (including lofts), an events center and 2 upscale hotels. What is really nice about SRL is it has so many parks. One was recently donated by the Smith Brothers to the City of Idaho Falls and will be very user friendly for people to enjoy with their families and friends. Then there is Ryder Park, which is huge.

The quality isn't there yet, since they are just moving into the buildings; however, the link for SRL at this point is: Snake River Landing. Hopefully, with time, they will show the masterplan. It is being developed in 4 stages and is even more upscale than T.C., although T.C. set a new bar for development in Idaho Falls.

At least you can read about SRL right now, even if you can't see the master plan. It, along with Taylor's Crossing, and the rest of the Rennaisance Addition, plus a few other key developments are keeping Idaho Falls growing and changing.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up Equal Access Playground - Read What Some in Idaho Falls are doing for Kids with Disabilities

This is also posted on the //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...ings-do-6.html thread. I'm really proud of those who planned, raised the $250,000 to bring this project as far as they have. While only at Phase I now, kids "with varying abilities," as those who have spearheaded this project like to emphasize, any progress is more than what was available to these children previously.

Phase I is impressive IMO, see what you think. Now kids who live in eastern Idaho, plus those who visit, have a safe and fun playground where they can play like other kids.

Do you remember your first time at a playground having fun and possibly making a friend? Did you fear to play because it hurt too much or you were too frightened? Please take a few minutes and try to imagine what life is like for these kids.

I don't know about you, but now kids in wheelchairs who will be able to swing and play with special toys most of us take for granted in a backyard let alone a playground - well that sounds pretty darned impressive to me! And they will be able to make music in the Sound Garden.

See what you think - -

Equal Access Playground - Day #1 of Volunteers Building a Safe, Fun Playground for Children (from KIFI TV News in Idaho Falls) and Reporter Kristy Kircher.
LocalNews8.com Idaho Falls, Pocatello - Weather, News, Sports - Construction Begins On All Access Playground

This project has been 3 years coming together. The $250,000 playground will allow children in wheelchairs to swing, children to climb a "mountain" without getting hurt themselves etc. Previously, children in eastern ID either had to travel to Logan, UT (about 150 miles southeast) or to Canyon County in the Boise Metro area (about 300 miles west) to have a safe playground to have fun like all kids should. IMHO, it isn't fair for these kids not to enjoy life the way others do, so every toy and sq. foot altered for their comfort and safety is a bonus.

Imagine the delighted squeals and play coming from children never or rarely able to play with others in a park with playground equipment that doesn't hurt them. I can't wait to see the finished project, Phase I!

If you weren't able to volunteer any time, materials or contribute to this project in anyway, there is still time. The second all volunteer work day, for Phase I, will be on Aug. 27th.

There are unique pieces of equipment and even a mural created by the children who will benefit from this playground. Each created their mural expressing what this playground means to them. I can't even imagine how moving this mural will be......

This is Phase I of this playground. It is my sincere hope when citizens see how many children will visit Idaho Falls, let alone local residents, to have a day to safely play like other kids, that Phase II won't take 3 years to complete.

If you are new in town, or even if you are a life-long resident who doesn't feel as connected as you would like to other residents, this is a perfect opportunity to give of yourself and meet others who share that same willingness to help children. I've not heard of any volunteer being turned away. I believe volunteers from surrounding communities, who also have children that will benefit from this tremendous addition to Idaho Falls, would be welcome to help as well.

I recently heard a discussion of why people visit Idaho Falls. I seriously doubt many of have thought of the families who will now come so their child or children, who cannot safely play in a regular park, can now have an afternoon, morning or even full day to play safely. However, I believe these families will come as so few parks like this exit.

Congratulations to the parents, volunteers, I.F. City Council and so many others who are making this dream a reality. You've done a GREAT JOB!

Equal Access Playground

This post has also been placed on the "top 10 things to do in Idaho Falls," thread. It belongs in that thread for two reasons: First, sometimes people looking for something to do may want to consider that instead of going somewhere or being entertained, maybe they would like to spend some of their time volunteering in a project that helps disabled kids. It will also be referenced in a few other threads so area residents and those thinking of moving to our area understand more about what Idaho Falls the city it is.

Secondly, for parents looking where they can take their special needs children, Idaho Falls may suddenly be a destination as a city where they must stop or stay, and allow their child or children to play in this $250,000 project (Phase I). Who knows what Phase II will bring when the money is available to build it? More fun for disabled kids and that is great, IMO.

The more people who know about the opportunity they have to help improve the lives of these kids, the better. If you live in the area and want to donate time or inkind services, see the link of how to do that or volunteer on 8/27 to help with the next building day of Phase I. Or, if some visit Idaho Falls frequently and have a disabled child, you might want to check out this play area in Tautphaus Park.

While this group's planning and fund raising has been impressive, the total $250,000 hasn't been quite reached yet for Phase I. If you are thinking of moving to Idaho Falls or the surrounding area, you may want to get involved now by buying the game of "Idaho Falls" which is a monopoly-like game and lets you and your family become familiar with Idaho Falls landmarks. Why not learn about your new home town and help a marvelous cause? Or, if you don't want the game, donations are accepted as well.

I'm not affiliated with the Equal Access Playground Committee, but I am so moved by what these parents and dedicated volunteers have done. The least I can share this information with those who want to know more about Idaho Falls and what makes this area unique for many of us.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-19-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 AM

20 posts, read 95,516 times
Smile Snake River Landing

Mtn. States -- thanks so much for the link to the SRL website. I appreciate it, as I had not seen it before.

Yes, I've seen the TC statue/sculpture... it really is beautiful. Although I don't even live in IF yet, I am still incredibly excited about moving there and enjoying all that is being developed in that area. Here in Omaha, the city has poured a lot of money into riverfront communities and development and it has been really, really nice. Crime is down, the economy is better, and the area sees a lot more quality traffic than in previous years. When I lived in San Antonio, we had the Riverwalk which was also wonderful, albeit a bit different than TC or Omaha's riverfront community. Still, I think TC and SRL are going to be fantastic assets for IF. Thanks again for the great info!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
WARNING: I live just North of Cincinnati, OH and Cincy's oldies radio station is advertising a motor coach tour of the Northwest that includes, among other things, Yellowstone N.P. AND Idaho Falls! Brace yourselves for a busload of Buckeyes wandering your streets next Summer!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up Excellent News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
WARNING: I live just North of Cincinnati, OH and Cincy's oldies radio station is advertising a motor coach tour of the Northwest that includes, among other things, Yellowstone N.P. AND Idaho Falls! Brace yourselves for a busload of Buckeyes wandering your streets next Summer!
GREAT Let us know what questions you have so we can help prepare those who want to roam out west to be better packed and where to visit.

National publications say Idaho Falls is the last "non-tourist" trap before arriving in YNP.

Does your motorcoach tour start in OH, or will these great buses be started either in Salt Lake City or Idaho Falls?

Please stay in touch and perhaps look for some changes here to the Idaho Falls info between now and then!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Mtn States Resident, thanks for the offer of help! I just heard the radio ad announcing the tour. If I remember correctly, it starts in Seattle and goes into British Columbia then back down into the U.S. and down thru Yellowstone then IF. I think they fly back from Salt Lake. (Too bad they'll miss out on Craters of the Moon!) Unfortunately, I won't get to go on the tour. But I lived in Boise for a couple of years and I've had the pleasure of visiting Idaho Falls. Enjoyed it! Maybe I can save up and join the NEXT Northwest tour they promote! Take care!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 PM

Crew Chief -

Too bad you won't be making this trip. Yes, the Craters of the Moon is so unique. But, to some who have never been to northwestern Canada, the stops in Canada would seem so much more important.

How long ago were you in Boise? Probably many areas of the state have changed since then.

I hope the tour is a success so the sponsor will do it annually and you will be able to return.

Does the radio station know about this link and that live human beings may be able to answer some questions for those traveling? I think it's great that more will get to see Yellowstone. Many people throughout the world have that dream and never see it come to fruition.

Thanks for your info and let us know if we can help, even if you won't be on the tour.

MSR

Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Hi MSR! We were lucky enough to be stationed at Mountain Home AFB on my last USAF tour ('96-'97), so my wife and I saw as much of ID as we could! And LOVED. I sure hope the tour is a successs, too! We've taken a number of tours around the world; some very good, some not. Some tour organizers put a lot of thought and effort into the tour and those are WONDERFUL. I hope the outfit here is doing a good job. There's so much that goes into planning and there's so many things that could go wrong before or during (I'm sure you already have some idea already!) But, anyway, we hope to return to Idaho someday bfore too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls