Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

31 posts, read 157,604 times

Advertisements

I was reading some long comment on another site that said that gangs and violence are taking over in the Idaho Falls and Rexburg area. How bad is it? Or is it true at all? I live in Dayton Nevada and we have a fairly bad problem with meth and teen drinking... gangs are slowly making their way here also. I am thinking of moving this coming summer, as my daughter will be attending ISU in Pocatello and I would like to be somewhat near her. Also looking for a state that is not so reliant on tourism as the main economy.

Are there gang problems? Is local law enforcement unable to deal with it? Is crime taking over? Really appreciate a response, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,680 times
This might give you a direction to go in. Good Luck

www.idahofallstoday.com/2006/05/26/idaho-falls-graffi (broken link)

Old 11-15-2009, 07:15 PM

73 posts, read 248,690 times
I would say they don't affect the majority of people here. Sure, some occasional graffiti or car break ins, but by far this is a great place to raise a family. The kids here are small town wanna-be's anyway it seems.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM

I'm foggy on the wanna-be's... they seem to get in a lot of trouble and cause lots of damage. Does local law enforcement take it seriously? Is there not enough stuff to do for young people there?

Fisherman 100 - thanks for the link. I will look into the graffiti stuff in Idaho Falls. It's surprising I suppose, since I used to be familiar with the L.A. (SoCal) graffiti and how insane it was (maybe still is). I was just unaware smaller communities had the problem.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:53 PM

66 posts, read 274,030 times
I am a cop in the Boise area and don't have any first-hand knowledge of the situation in Eastern Idaho, but I have good contacts there and can give you an idea of the gang issues.

No, IF/Rexburg/Pocatello etc are not over run by gangs. Far from it. They are nice, normal communities. Like many other nice communities, they also have an element who are involved in gangs. Some of the influence is bleedover from "nearby" Salt Lake City, some is from the Nampa/Caldwell area. Most, despite what the rest of us want to think, is home-grown.

Areas directly affected by gangs tend to be isolated, and in Idaho gangs tend to be less territorial and more "wherever". The plus side is, most victims of gang violence are people who involve themselves in that sub-culture. That's why the rest of the community sees less of it-they aren't involved in it. That being said, I caution against the use of terms like "wanna-be". A bullet fired by a "wanna-be" isn't any less deadly than one fired by a hardened gangster in a big-city ghetto. Gangs are gangs, and if they want to play the part they should be treated accordingly by law enforcement and a disgusted public that supports their cops.

Areas hardest hit on that side of the state are the Fort Hall Reservation, Burley/Rupert, and Blackfoot. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. I wouldn't let what you've heard keep you from considering a move to Eastern Idaho (or any part, for that matter). I think you'll find that the communities are great overall.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM

TreasureValley50, thanks for your post. I grew up in CA - and saw a lot of gang influence. I understand fully that a wanna-be is just as bad as a hardened gangster. People seem to say wanna-be and brush it off - but it worries me just as much. Sounds like graffiti is a problem in IF - to what extent, I haven't found out yet.

My new problem is finding rentals that allow dogs! Seems like the whole area has little housing that takes pets. Maybe there has been a lot of problems with pet damage or something.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Question Search The Idaho Forum with the Search Feature; Sources of Your Information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycapture View Post
TreasureValley50, thanks for your post. I grew up in CA - and saw a lot of gang influence. I understand fully that a wanna-be is just as bad as a hardened gangster. People seem to say wanna-be and brush it off - but it worries me just as much. Sounds like graffiti is a problem in IF - to what extent, I haven't found out yet.

My new problem is finding rentals that allow dogs! Seems like the whole area has little housing that takes pets. Maybe there has been a lot of problems with pet damage or something.
Or maybe more people than you realize want exactly what you do in a rental. Searching the Idaho forum for Idaho Falls apartment information will let you see how many others have asked for identical type of apartment rentals with pets. You can see what they decided to do and/or possibly contact them.

I'm curious to know where you got your information about Idaho Falls - Rexburg, which was different than your original post of Idaho Falls-Pocatello having so many gangs. Please share that information so others who search the Idaho forum will have the source as well. If anything, I'd be more concerned about Pocky. And while IdahoFallsToday is a local chat site, I'd caution that it is not the only one and apparently has had "issues" with some monitoring of what was and wasn't posted. Rumor has it there has been another change in ownership or mgt. or the one-person owned site. You may want to check it out along with other sites like EagleRocksTalkz.com and ask question or read information about who owns/maintains the site.

Good luck

MSR

Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Well the proof would be in the crime statistics that are readily available. My guess is that most violent crime in non-urban areas is generally of a domestic nature (the victim and the perp are well acquainted). Assuming you don't have a bunch of gun nut family members moving with you, you're probably going to be much safer than if you were moving to an urban area where stranger crime is more prevalent.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
I can address the rental with pets issue. You're quite right in finding that there is a far less ration of landlords here that rent to pet owners than other areas you're used to living in. Having said that, it does not mean there are none. It will depend on the size of dog and whether you're looking for a house or an apartment.

I guess I can address the gang issue as well. I've lived here since '91 coming from a large city in Central CA. I recently in the past few years have noticed the graffiti. There is plenty for kids do do here, however much of that and how involved kids become relies on the responsibility of the parent (s). Even with single parenting kids can come out well rounded after being involved in great social aspects, I've witnessed this firsthand

Old 11-16-2009, 02:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley50 View Post
I caution against the use of terms like "wanna-be". A bullet fired by a "wanna-be" isn't any less deadly than one fired by a hardened gangster in a big-city ghetto. Gangs are gangs, and if they want to play the part they should be treated accordingly by law enforcement and a disgusted public that supports their cops.
This is a good point. I'd actually contend that wannabes are more dangerous, because they have something to prove to every individual who has the misfortune of coming across them. Real gang members are relatively more secure with their identity and more concerned with money, so they really try to lay low when it comes to the general public. You pretty much have to be flaunting easily liquidated wealth or messing with their business to rouse a real gang member into attacking. Given the option, I'd rather cross paths with a real gang member than a wannabe. At least the former isn't looking for a fight with everyone like an insecure dumba**.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho