Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 49,456 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

We recently found out that my husband is being transferred to Bonners Ferry. The move will probably take place in mid May. We currently live in Carlsbad, New Mexico but are both born and raised in Texas. We have 2 children ages 11 and 7. We are all very excited about the move and are looking forward to exploring the beautiful areas in and around Idaho. I have been reading a lot of your posts both old and new and have gleaned a lot of useful information, I did come up with a few questions though.

I have to say...the prospect of surviving the winter scares me a little. Having spent my entire life in the desert where a couple inches of snow can shut down a town I am not quite sure how to deal with a winter full of snow. Do you guys have any tips or wisdom for making it through?

After much discussion I think we have decided to rent for a little while (providing decent rental properties are available) so we can get a "lay of the land". Do you know of any rental management companies in the area? Also can someone recommend a realtor so we can start working toward buying a home after we get moved?

My daughter loves her ballet class and is very sad about the prospect of leaving it. Do any of you know of a dance studio in the area (don't mind driving to another town to get to one)?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give. I am sure I will have many questions in the upcoming months.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I don't have time for a long response right now, I'll try to post more later. I do want to say congratulations. Bonners is a nice area, and a gateway to lots of really nice backcountry. In my mind, it's the kind of place I could live if I could find work. Sounds like you have that taken care of.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks for taking time to look at my post. I will look forward to any info you can give me later. Yes, my husband has a very stable job that allows me to stay home with the kids so we don't have to worry about that issue. We love the outdoors and are really looking forward to living in a place where we can get out in to nature! When we first heard the rumor that we might be transferred, we took a road trip up to the area just to have an idea of what we were looking at (neither of us had ever visited Idaho) and could not believe how beautiful it is.

Sarah

Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
There is not a whole lot in Bonners Ferry itself. I don't know if there is a dance studio. My guess is you will be coming to Sandpoint for most of your shopping, dance lessons etc. Sandpoint is like 1/2 hr-45 min. from BF. You will have a lot of snow there, certainly more than the couple of inches you mentioned. Get good snow tires, a 4-wheel drive car is great, or at the least a front wheel drive. It is good you are moving in May. That gives you an opportunity to get settled in and enjoy the summer before you have to deal with winter.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Yes, we think we are fortunate to be moving in May. We can get a good feel for the area before the winter hits and hopefully feel more able to handle it. I had figured we would probably have to go to Sandpoint for dance lessons. Do they keep the highway pretty clear in the winter?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Couldn't find any actual websites for you, but here are two dance/ballet schools in Sandpoint:

Danceworks, Sandpoint ID 83864 -- MerchantCircle.com
Studio 1 Dance Academy, Sandpoint ID 83864 -- MerchantCircle.com

Our Sandpoint realtor showed me several properties in Bonners in 2008, and she
is very good, but you probably want a realtor in BF itself. Great idea to rent first!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
Plus they have two tractor dealers....

Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,771 times
The drive from Sandpoint might get hairy in winter. I used to drive down a mountain in snow in CA and it could get pretty bad. I have been to Bonners Ferry once right before it snowed and I don't think I would want to do it a lot in bad weather. But then again I am a newbie here, so what do I know.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
My daughter went to Danceworks for a two years for ballet and jazz dance. REALLY liked the instruction she got there. Every year they do a performance at the Panida with all the girls doing routines.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you so much for the information on the dance studio. That is very helpful, my daughter will be relieved. Also thanks for the information about the road between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry, just not sure about the winter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho