Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times

Advertisements

It is winter. It is snowing. It is icy. So what I don't get, is why do people drive like it is summer on bad roads? I have been called Mario. I have been called an aggressive driver. I drive appropriately for road conditions. Where possible, this includes maneuvering through grouped drivers. Usually, this entails increases in speeds. But where appropriate, it requires decreases in speeds. This morning, I had the pleasure of driving from Shelley to Pocatello. I'm going 50 in a 75 pretty much all the way. I passed three wrecks, all totalled, one of whom had passed me at the onset at no less than 80. These folks all had Idaho plates. What gives? Are these teenagers? Don't people get it? I guess I just don't get people. On the way from Pocatello to Idaho Falls, I just got off the freeway altogether. I feel much safer on the highway, at least they are less likely to plow into me from the side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
I had the opposite problem today. Someone who was driving way too slow for the conditions.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 AM

Wasn't me, I'm pretty sure when I'm following someone at a distance going my speed and truckers aren't passing me that is a good sign to Slow Down!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 AM

I didn't make it this far south:
Several cars crash in the same area Wednesday | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | Local & Regional (http://www.kidk.com/news/local/80380582.html - broken link)

Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I've noticed the same thing lately. Not certain whether they are folks who have recently relocated or what.

I do know there's both a too fast and a too slow for conditions, but there should also be some common sense applied. I've said it before, the roads aren't what bothers me in the winter, it's the others on them!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times
Not everyone is cut out to live and drive in the snow...

Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 AM

31 posts, read 102,109 times
It seems that many of Darwin's chosen are still among us.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
Count your blessings that you are NOT driving in Utah. Down here there were in excess of 200 crashes (one costing a gal her life because she got out of her vehicle to help another stranded motorist). They are flat out nuts down here. They drive 50% faster than the conditions dictate and have NO regard for icy or snowy roads. They think just because they have a big a$$ SUV they are immune or something. They have NO driving skills to begin with which doesn't help. They ignore traffic signals and signs.......what else. You have it better than you think. I'm not from here originally and didn't learn to drive here so I feel qualified to criticize.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
We have the same problem here. We were driving down a highway and a 4 wheel drive truck spun out due to going to fast on snowy roads. Being that he was going to fast, when the light turned red, he couldn`t stop properly. There are always accidents on the freeway when weather is bad because of people driving to fast. I don`t understand why people think it`s ok to drive fast in bad weather.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Count your blessings that you are NOT driving in Utah. Down here there were in excess of 200 crashes (one costing a gal her life because she got out of her vehicle to help another stranded motorist). They are flat out nuts down here. They drive 50% faster than the conditions dictate and have NO regard for icy or snowy roads. They think just because they have a big a$$ SUV they are immune or something. They have NO driving skills to begin with which doesn't help. They ignore traffic signals and signs.......what else. You have it better than you think. I'm not from here originally and didn't learn to drive here so I feel qualified to criticize.
It's the same here in IF, from what I've seen. For instance, we saw a kid (maybe 18 or 19 y.o.) driving a jacked-up truck, swerving and 'lightin' it up' in the Kohl's parking lot...just before Xmas...with people around. After giving him a dirty look and a shrugging of the shoulders to indicate "Why?", he returned a visual indicator of his own to let me know he got my message and didn't appreciate being told what to do. How dare I - I couldn't help but laugh at this idiot, but I've witnessed scenes like this way too often since moving here.

Don't get me wrong, I had my fun when I was young, dumb, and etc. when it came to driving on snow and ice - mostly tranny drops and donuts in parking lots - but we picked secluded areas, without people, late at night so that the only people that could be hurt if something went wrong, was us (and yes, we were idiots in our own right back then).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho