Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM

45 posts, read 110,964 times

Advertisements

We signed the day after Thanksgiving and packed on TG day. Moved out stuff that weekend are are finally settled in. Our First Christmas in our new home was perfect.

For those that dont know, we moved from Post Falls to Sand Point. We are actually closer to Kootenai. Far up the mountain but town is in a reasonable distance.
House is off grid. We are warm and snug. I spend all day Friday hiking the mountains. Tracking a bull mouse for half that time. BARELY got home before the pitch black settled in. That gave me a small scare. Thought I was going to have to climb a tree for the night. DH would have wanted to kill me after he rescued me. LOL
Anyway, I just wanted to share. We are so happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

89 posts, read 262,469 times
Congrats! Sounds heavenly.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
That's great news, B8E! Visit the Porch and post some pics of your place, and/or the general area! Watch out for the mountain lions on those hikes--climbing a tree won't help much!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
That's where a machete would help (I carry one on hikes). It gives you reach if you're up a tree and a cougar is coming up. But remember (CFF) that cougar attacks on humans aren't a known issue up here, since they have such an amazing abundance of deer to snack on any time they want...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

265 posts, read 686,719 times
Thats amazing! wish I was there.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
That's where a machete would help (I carry one on hikes). It gives you reach if you're up a tree and a cougar is coming up. But remember (CFF) that cougar attacks on humans aren't a known issue up here, since they have such an amazing abundance of deer to snack on any time they want...
I really want to believe that--but our CF neighbors spend all last winter carrying a shotgun every time they went from the house to the barn and back, because a male cougar was prowling our little neck of the woods...! Of course another neighbor spent all winter feeding the elk, and that may explain why the cat was hanging out in our 'hood! I'll remember the machete thing...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Mountain Lion Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

I'm NOT saying carrying a shotgun is a bad idea. But if you look at the stories about ACTUAL attacks on humans, a branch or sharp object/knife is a highly effective weapon against a big cat. Any sharp object (like a machete) is a significant threat to an approaching animal, even a big 85-100lb cat. And reading some of the potential attack encounters, being up a tree with a stick or knife to jab at the cat was an effective defense. If the cat has to climb a tree to get you, it cannot use its claws and teeth at the same time easily.

This survey shows in the USA there are 6 cougar/ML attacks per year, and one fatality (US and Canada, not including California which has lots of "issues"). That means your chance of dying from tripping and falling is WAAAY higher than your chance of being attacked or killed by a cougar.

Think of it this way. Compared to being attacked (not killed...just attacked which has a 85% survival rate) by a cougar, you are 7000 times more likely to die in a car crash, 2300 times more likely to die by falling, 620 times more likely to drown, 2100 times more likely to die by poisoning (and 35-44 age group is most likely...not little kids!), 510 times more likely to die from surgical complications, 120 times more likely to die from accidental gun discharge, and 550 times more likely to be killed in a fire or by smoke inhalation.

Now, if a cougar kills you, it's likely going to get you from behind and sever your spinal cord and bite your neck so you die quickly. It's more than I can say for a lot of accidental death causes.

I'm NOT saying you shouldn't take reasonable precautions...and you could always be the lucky first person in Idaho to fall prey to a crazed cougar in your living room....but you get my drift...the odds just seriously don't point to cougar attack being a big risk for Idahoans...or Americans in general. Now if you're hiking in Southern California...well now...that's different....but even there the statistic is 0.5 attacks and 0.2 deaths per year an average...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Although I'm afraid of predators too....so I have taken walks with my AK-47 at times...I will admit...but I've mellowed now and the machete is more for domestic dog attacks (which DO happen quite often in America)...

Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Poisoning, falling, choking, etc, and let's not forget high cholesterol! I love statistics, and I get your point! In SoCal we actually do worry about cougar attacks...I guess hikers are more abundant than deer...and we probably are nowhere near as tasty...I actually really like mountain lions, out in the hills where they belong. Just not on our property! Now I'll sit down and worry about poisoning and smoke inhalation...
(I deleted the message above because it was totally garbled--using an old browser--can't trust this old laptop I'm stuck with for now!)

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 01-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM

45 posts, read 110,964 times
Well, I dont venture out alone. I always go with at least one dog. If nothing else I will have better warning. I ALWAYS go with a gun. And as soon as I can find a good wood carver Ill have a pretty, big and likely sharp stick to take along. Right not its just a good sized tree limb. LOL
As for attaches here at the home site. Well all the noise the kids make are sure to send most animals running. And then there are always at least 4 dogs that bark their heads off anytime anything is withing hearing/smelling distance. Im thinking of getting another one to add to the pack.
No, I worry more about two leggeds than I do 4 leggeds. But I treat them the same. Lots of speculation and view them down the barrel of a good gun.
OK, nuff of that.
Got to get you guys some perty pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: