Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,454 times

Advertisements

I could use some advise. My family has an opportunity to move to the Eagle-Boise area. Here's the problem:

I am 50 years old and a liberal. I have been living in a New Mexico artists town for 20 years. Needless to say , it has rubbed off on me. I got a tattoo for my birthday. Dyed my gray hair with a streak of turquoise for the holidays. Wear UGGS and a robe to Wal-Mart. I'm definitely the "granola" type. And maybe just a little further off center.
I'm also friendly, helpful to my neighbors and very kind.
My sister in Boise suggested that I ask the forum for an opinion. She thinks I may be seen as "TOO WEIRD" for Idaho.
Any honest opinion is truly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,911,317 times
There is a very nice lady, 50's or so, in Cambridge that has a turquoise dyed strip in her gray hair. And some gals here in Midvale that have various color s in their hair.Personally I think you need to add a little purple with that turquoise. The two colors are perfect together. That is not a big deal. Tattoo Whatever. Do not even know what the other is you wear to Wally world. How is it when you come visit your sister? Do people burn holes in you staring? Does it matter if they do? I think it is more how you think of yourself them what others think. I KNOW I am crazy as a bed bug and do weird things but I just do not care what the people think. They like me or they don't. I am willing to accept that. Mostly it is how you treat others. Do unto them as you would hope they do to you. Be nice and things should be fine.

Chris

Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Thanks Chris!

UGGS are just big , old ugly winter boots.

I did'nt want to go so far as to say that I was " crazy as a bed bug ". But others might. I just wanted to check it out with the locals to see if I would offend anyone.
I love the idea of adding a little purple with the turquoise. Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,257,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles for Dinner View Post
I could use some advise. My family has an opportunity to move to the Eagle-Boise area. Here's the problem:

I am 50 years old and a liberal. I have been living in a New Mexico artists town for 20 years. Needless to say , it has rubbed off on me. I got a tattoo for my birthday. Dyed my gray hair with a streak of turquoise for the holidays. Wear UGGS and a robe to Wal-Mart. I'm definitely the "granola" type. And maybe just a little further off center.
I'm also friendly, helpful to my neighbors and very kind.
My sister in Boise suggested that I ask the forum for an opinion. She thinks I may be seen as "TOO WEIRD" for Idaho.
Any honest opinion is truly appreciated.
Here is what I see from your post...

New Mexico artist
tattoo
gray hair with a streak of turquoise
ear UGGS and a robe
granola
off center
friendly, helpful to my neighbors and very kind
WEIRD

I like what I see. The liberal part requires more detail/explanation, as everything above suggests libertarian not a modern day American liberal.

S.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

265 posts, read 683,983 times
Hmm sounds more like making yourself comfortable in all settings.Seems fine to me. Then agian I am in Florida and only hoping to get to Idaho soon oh hopefully very soon.Sigh.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks Sandpointian and HateHumidity you guys have helped me see how "live and let live" some of you really are in Idaho.
I am looking forward to the adventure!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Just one thing!

Where can I get good homemade Granola?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,911,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles for Dinner View Post
Where can I get good homemade Granola?

Ah Hello. Homemade is from your own kitchen. LOL

Small batch.
1 cup each chopped peanuts, walnuts ,almonds, filberts any nut available, sunflower seeds, bran, oatmeal, the long cooking kind. Flax seed wirred in a coffee grinder.Raisins. Enough peanut butter to make the flax and oatmeal,bran sort of stick to the nuts.

Fancy version add coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips and more peanut butter. Hehehehehe

Really fancy start nipping up all the different dried fruits you can find around. Either from your pantry or health food store.

Bag it and call it granola. Adding even more peanut butter or almond butter is good too you can make balls of it . Or smooosh it all into a big flat glass dish and heat it gently to make that peanut butter soft and coat better. Then take flat bottom glass and pack it hard in that glass dish. Run sharp knife to make bars. Cover and refrigerate until solid and you have granola bars.

You can also add brown sugar or honey. I try to stay away from making it too sweet.

It is all ok to freeze in case you find your small batch has grown to gigantic proportions.

Chris

Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 381,796 times
Well, I suspect other liberals will say, yes and conservatives will say, stay in NM. Idaho is a conservative state with, occasionally, responsible state government. While there is a live and let live attitude here, the left will always be in the minority, especially with the garbage going on now in the federal government.

I came here because I'm conservative and got tired of the politics of far left California. People like me will find more in common with most Idahoans than folks like you, I'm afraid. That doesn't mean you won't find a niche, especially in Boise vs. other towns.

Just giving you another POV for your question.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,968,360 times
I actually did the exact reverse of your move myself: ID to NM. I'd say you're in for some little culture shocks (no green chile default on just about every menu, for just one example), but if you're a friendly, neighborly type (particularly if you appreciate outdoor recreation/conservation and discuss political differences with more jest than insistence), the culture shock will be like a fart in the wind (you'll get it through your system with nothing more than natural discomfort, and others won't even be bothered by it).

Idaho's just a little more fast-paced than New Mexico, but only in good ways like moving accidents from traffic and prompt service at restaurants. (You can see where I had some issues adjusting to NM... spent about the first year thinking I had moved to a land of rude entitlement and lethargy, and another three years feeling "enchanted" by remarkable diversity/heritage and free spirits.) Depending, you may find yourself having to adjust in reverse of how I had to adjust. Nonetheless, the general vibe is still good ol' laid back West as opposed to the hurried, curt vibe that is found all too often in the major metro areas back East or in SoCal.

On that note, you'll find plenty of kindred spirits in Boise, and I'll probably be redundant in telling you that the North End is a great place to look. It's got Boise's local Co-op and a large swath of the residents in that area could be considered artists/poets/hippies/etc. A lot of others are people who use bicycles as their main mode of transportation and/or enjoy various outdoor recreation. Couple that with the rich folks in the foothills around there, and the North End is a veritable Northern NM without the adobe.

There it is in a nutshell. If you have any specific questions about the sociopolitical differences, I'll be obliged to offer my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho