Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,501,739 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about practical ways people have found to effectively work with/around some of these prejudice issues, esp. where kids are concerned. I will be moving just south of IF with middleschoolers, and we do not plan to be active LDS. I'm an inactive convert, and my kids barely remember having anything to do with the church. I am always friendly to LDS people, but the church really lost me when they used their leadership to campaign on political issues around gay marriage in California. I really don't care about gay marriage one way or the other, but I do care about tax law and feel they violated the terms of their status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Question Are my kids going to have it rough when we move to ID

I'm getting a bit worried about what life will be like for my kids in Shelley when we move this Summer. They will both be in Middle School, and we do not go to church. LDS has us on there membership list, but we have never been active. Are my kids going to get the cold shoulder from other kids or worse yet are the teachers/staff going to make life rough?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 24,017 times
No. You'll be fine. Your kids will be fine. Shelley's a great place to live and go to school!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks, setlngdwn, I was just starting to worry less about it, when a friend today came to me with all HER worries about it, and got me thinking again, so your reassurance helps.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:05 PM

88 posts, read 333,822 times
I know nothing about the mormon faith at all. I know Utah has tons of them. We have none where I live in the midwest. Is it a bad thing to live by them?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 54,765 times
We moved to Utah from Texas. Lots of Mormons. They came knocking at the door trying to do their into to Mormonism thing. We let them in. They were eyeballing my two sons. We joked with them. Eventually they stopped coming. Then when my son hit 6 foot 5 they were back again to recruit him for their church basket ball team. He played with them and enjoyed it.

I work with Mormons all the time. I find them very pleasant and positive and I feel that we have more in common with them than the folks we met in Dallas. I felt my kids were safe going to school in the Salt Lake Community for the most part.

A few weeks ago my huband was talking to a neighbor who walks past our house frequently. She is Mormon. He took her to show her our yard. In the discussion she advised that when we get to Mackay we will find a Mormon church there and we will fit right in. My husband said, Yes! and there's a Catholic church also, as well as Perk's Bar.

We've been to Perk's a number of times now. Haven't made it over to the ward yet.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

130 posts, read 426,866 times
I've only lived in South Central Idaho for almost a year. I've met lots of nice folks who are LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses.
The only problems I have had and they've been BIG ones, are with the locals who were born and raised here without either affiliation.
I came here from Western Washington. What a culture shock!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times
Default Feeling Hurt or Feelings of Being Excluded

[FONT=Verdana]Gripster2 & Fabforever (and others too I am sure)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]My apologies go out to you on behalf of those that have offended you of the same faith as I. Your details of things that should not have nor should they happen to anyone for that matter. The reality is you are really dealing with people and many have offended another without even the knowledge that they have (although some may have ill intention from the get go). The same can be said of any one group of people regardless of their religious or political affiliation or sexual orientation for that matter. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I thank you for your (Fabforever) comment "I don’t believe this is a typical Mormon behavior", the truth is it isn't. I am a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints commonly referred to as Mormons; however, this is a not the correct way to refer to the LDS community as a whole. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I hope and pray that my children will be like the LDS members that I have grown to know and love. I was invited over regularly for lunches, dinners and potlucks too and I have carried this on into my own life. Some of my children’s best friends are non-members although we live out of town I often find myself driving into town to pick up their friends to allow them the opportunity to play whether it is at the local parks in town or on our property. Our doors are always open and they are welcomed and invited to have sleepovers or whatever they want to do. The biggest problem with our interaction with those of the same or different beliefs isn't really the beliefs at all. It is the busy schedule that we all have and the tendencies we all have to say we can do it tomorrow, next week, next weekend, next month or sometime (which by the way means never). If we all spent a little more time trying a little harder to be a little better to one another; any where that we chose to live would be a better place because of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]To those that are offended I say let those that have offended you know as it is a feeling and feelings are real. In order to get to the root of the problem you must be willing to reach out and communicate, for if we fail to communicate all is lost before we even begin. [/FONT]

Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Anyone know the relationship between the LDS Church and the total lack of Abortion Services in Idaho Falls?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Mine was more of a yes or no question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho