Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMormonDude View Post
I'm sorry if my presence on this thread isn't welcome. I'm not from Idaho (though I've been to the town of Moscow) but I am a Mormon. Unlike most of the Mormon's posting here I wasn't born in a Mormon community, nor was I even born Mormon.

You're welcome in my book. I don't care about your religion. I have known and worked for with Mormons in MI, TN and certainly when I lived in UT.
And you are correct, those of like thoughts will band together. In your case it is religion; in my case it might be politics, or just past employment histories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Thank you. Since the beginning of time people have united with each other on the basis of common belief systems. Also, people must remember that many Mormons are also conscious of the fact that non-LDS people do judge usz Reading through this thread makes me a little disturbed at all of the bigotry towards Mormons. Replace the word Mormon in a lot of these comments with the word "Jews" or "Blacks" etc. to get an idea how bigoted it really is.

I feel like lots of people have a sensational view of LDS people. They think that we live on polygamist compounds like Warren Jeffs and his group the FLDS (Which is a radical breakaway fringe group.) Judging Mormons on the basis of what they do is like judging Christians on the basis of what Jim Jones and the People's Temple did. We only marry one person, we work regular jobs and live in regular neighborhoods, the women of our community do not have floor length braids and get married at 14 etc.

People get angry and offended that Mormon parents won't let their little children play over the house of a non-LDS family, but remember that we as Mormons are pretty conscious of how others feel about us, we've known that we aren't particularly liked since we got chased from Upstate NY to the Midwest, and then chased out of the town we formed in the Midwest (Nauvoo, IL) all the way to a barren and uninhabited part of the country that we settled as a place we could live in peace. Knowing that many people dislike us, think we are crazy or in a cult, do you think we would put our kids in a situation where they are playing with their non-LDS friend and he says something like "my mom said you're in a crazy cult" or something like that. Would any of you put your kid in a position like that?
I agree with f5. Both your input, SFMormonDude and rationale thinking are welcome here. Both you and f5 posted really important posts IMO. I'm glad both of you posted.

SFMormonDude, your example of baseball is a great one.

I'll have to finish this later. Unannounced company arrived.

MSR

Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Quote:
Thank you. Since the beginning of time people have united with each other on the basis of common belief systems. Also, people must remember that many Mormons are also conscious of the fact that non-LDS people do judge usz Reading through this thread makes me a little disturbed at all of the bigotry towards Mormons. Replace the word Mormon in a lot of these comments with the word "Jews" or "Blacks" etc. to get an idea how bigoted it really is.

I feel like lots of people have a sensational view of LDS people. They think that we live on polygamist compounds like Warren Jeffs and his group the FLDS (Which is a radical breakaway fringe group.) Judging Mormons on the basis of what they do is like judging Christians on the basis of what Jim Jones and the People's Temple did. We only marry one person, we work regular jobs and live in regular neighborhoods, the women of our community do not have floor length braids and get married at 14 etc.

People get angry and offended that Mormon parents won't let their little children play over the house of a non-LDS family, but remember that we as Mormons are pretty conscious of how others feel about us, we've known that we aren't particularly liked since we got chased from Upstate NY to the Midwest, and then chased out of the town we formed in the Midwest (Nauvoo, IL) all the way to a barren and uninhabited part of the country that we settled as a place we could live in peace. Knowing that many people dislike us, think we are crazy or in a cult, do you think we would put our kids in a situation where they are playing with their non-LDS friend and he says something like "my mom said you're in a crazy cult" or something like that. Would any of you put your kid in a position like that?
Think it is bad here, just browse the UTAH section. Must be a hundreds of threads about moving to UT as a non-Mormon.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,316 times
Default Non Mormon in Boise ?

Really like the idea of Boise but as a non Mormon Christian will I fit in? Semi-retired but would like to find something part-time. Would also like to have a few friends. I mined the old threads about a year ago and I just don't know.

Many thanks for replying.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 AM

16 posts, read 24,216 times
Completely a non issue. That is assuming that person is an open minded, accepting person. Although I hate labels, I would consider myself an individual who was raised pretty Catholic (Catholic school for 12 years, but parents weren't overly religious), but now non practicing any religion, who is left of Bernie Sanders on most issues.

I am very skeptical of religion personally and overly judgey people. However, I militantly subscribe to the belief everyone should live their life and believe what they want, provided they don't try to impose their religion or beliefs upon me. If they do, I tend to get away from the situation rather than get angry about it. Because of this, I am probably not the best person to take advice from since I am probably too accepting, to a fault. Most people will get annoyed from a situation long before I do. Therefore, everything I say probably only applies to me and may not work for everyone.

The Boise-Mormon issue is WAY too overblown. It has been such a non issue, I am shocked it is even still an issue. This is no offense to you, as I am sure I feared this before I moved here. In fact, I spent most of my life in Cincinnati/Lexington, KY and had more negative interaction with LDS there than I have here. To be fair, I am only mentioning LDS as this is the religion mentioned in this post. LDS is Boise are not unlike other religions in other areas of the country they predominate. Evangelical protestantism predominated in Lexington and Catholics predominated in Cincinnati. Those cities were different from each other because of this difference, as Boise is different because of the unique attributes of the city. The only issue that I have is the state legislature tends to skew more LDS than the general population. I have no issue with it being LDS per se, but any religion having that much power in the political process. As I said I came from Cincinnati and their politicians tend to be Catholic because it is a largely Catholic city. I didn't run the numbers, but am merely stating my opinion. It always made me uneasy. I don't want this to devolve into a discussion of politics and religion, but merely only mentioned it as a honest discussion on this issue in Boise. I also realize, this is unique to me as I discussed my politics and religious leanings and realize I am in the minority which I am fine with.

Ultimately, it boils down to how accepting of a person he/she is. If he/she tends to not be terribly accepting and always finds differences difficult to overcome, it will be an issue...as any difference will be. If he/she tends to be open minded, accepting and finds differences interesting, it will be a non issue. I have found Boise to be much more open minded than people give it credit for. I have travelled through most of the country, especially most states east of the Mississippi River, and have found this to be the most open minded place I have ever visited/lived. I also believe people interact with you, the way you interact with them. If you go through Boise focusing on differences, most people tend to shut you off. This isn't Boise, this is everywhere. Statistically speaking between 2 to 3 of every 10 people I interact with in Boise are LDS. Those 10 people I interact with are no different than 10 other people I interacted with in any other state. The only difference is the 10 in Boise are more pleasant and seem to be more accepting of me.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:15 AM

Many thanks for answering my question.

I am very tolerant of others. Just trying to determine if they would be tolerant of me. I don't want to move into an area and stand a good chance of being shutout.

Maybe I should broaden my search. Also look at NID and Montana.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 AM

335 posts, read 376,636 times
You worry to much. I am non mormon find it as a non issue. I am far right in my views, by the way I grew up n Jersey, Secaucus.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 PM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
This 'be open minded and reality will evaporate in front of you' talk is nonsense.

If you're not a Mormon, yes, Mormons ignore you. It's a worthy topic of discussion.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM

LS35a - Many thanks for answering my post. While the truth may sometimes hurt it is always best.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 PM

16 posts, read 24,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
This 'be open minded and reality will evaporate in front of you' talk is nonsense.

If you're not a Mormon, yes, Mormons ignore you. It's a worthy topic of discussion.
It may be nonsense to you, but I merely posted my opinion. It has not been a problem for me. However, that may be more a reflection of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho