Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 AM

18 posts, read 91,846 times

Advertisements

My daughter has for years had a number of Mormon friends. Most of them are very nice but I have noticed there is a clanishness among them. I doubt they even realize it. I can feel for the mom who was told her 3year-old would be considered a bad influence rather than a proper little girl, just because she is not Mormon. If that woman's neighbor could only hear how that must have sounded to her... Being judgmental is wrong no matter which side of the fence one is on and one religion does not necessarily make someone a better person than another. It is the personal behavior of the individual that counts most.
We are thinking about Idaho ourselves. How are Wiccans treated there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,437,936 times
I lived in Sandpoint from 1981-1986 and knew there was a Mormon church in the area, had casually met one or two Mormons during that time, but had no feelings one way or the other. As far as I was concerned at that time it was simply another religion. I then met my husband, was married and we were transferred to a very small town in Southeast Idaho, about 1 hr. from Pocatello. This was an area and a town where just about everyone was born there, generally died there, and were almost all Mormon. If you were not Mormon and had no intentions of becoming Mormon you were absolutely shunned. After 5 years of living there and dealing with the same people at the stores etc., no one knew my name or cared. They knew though that I was not Mormon. It was a horrible 5 years I must admit. I am just grateful our son was not old enough for school when we moved. We had someone that worked with my husband who had a son in grade school and he was not treated well. The bigger the city the more mixture of religions, so the less you will see this. Generally speaking if you live in southern Idaho you will see a large population of LDS. Utah is known for its LDS influence. The smaller the town the more it will affect you if you are not Mormon. North Idaho does not have these issues.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,636,401 times
Not my experience. Have been in Pocatello for almost a year, as a non-Morman, and have had no negative experiences. Most are very tolerant, although the missionaries do come knocking quite frequently! Fact is, it is easier to buy liquor in Idaho on Sundays in Pocatello than in liberal Seattle. (Idaho allows some stores to open on Sundays, Washinton, the last I heard did not). I believe the Mormans are trying very hard in recent years to be tolerant and less judgemental. I see it it here in East Idaho no question.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Thumbs up What once was, isn't necessarily the same now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Not my experience. Have been in Pocatello for almost a year, as a non-Morman, and have had no negative experiences. Most are very tolerant, although the missionaries do come knocking quite frequently! Fact is, it is easier to buy liquor in Idaho on Sundays in Pocatello than in liberal Seattle. (Idaho allows some stores to open on Sundays, Washinton, the last I heard did not). I believe the Mormans are trying very hard in recent years to be tolerant and less judgemental. I see it it here in East Idaho no question.
I agree pw72!

Unfortunately, I don't doubt what brokencrayola wrote about the treatment she experienced in a small community. I'm thinking more Malad, Soda Springs, Monpelier etc. sized communities where 6,000 residents might be counting your pets.

That being said, I strongly disagree with the old sterotype brokencrayola mentions, "Generally speaking if you live in southern Idaho you will see a large population of LDS. Utah is known for its LDS influence."

I agree years ago that was true, but I think the facts won't prove that to be true any more. But, like always, I suggest people check the facts from non-partial sources, like the census bureau. Salt Lake County isn't 50% LDS. And eastern ID isn't 50% LDS overall, although some of the smaller towns may well be more than 50%.

Know where you want to go as different religions, such as the Catholic Church membership, may be far larger in some areas of southern southestern ID than the LDS church. Not that I see anything wrong with either church being dominant or not. And that isn't to say there aren't a number of other religions as well.

Private Christian Schools exist in Idaho Falls and Pocatello, and I believe Blackfoot too. Not certain about other cities, maybe others could add info, if they know, please. Just check your facts for yourselves.

I think both brokencrayola and pw72's posts are very useful. Different perspectives, different cities (and city size) and one is past tense while another is present. I can't think of a better pair of posts to have next to each other to accurately reflect the growth and changes eastern ID is experiecing.

If you don't like change and growing pains that accompany change, you might want to look elsewhere. Change can sometimes be painful, but usually good, from my POV.

Good posts!

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-28-2007 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-28-2007, 01:27 PM

25 posts, read 117,137 times
I am from a small town in Idaho and lived there nearly my whole life, up until about 6 years ago. It's true, Idaho does have a relatively high LDS population (and I'm not going to quote statistics here, but I think most Idahoans would agree it's a very prominent religion). Although the majority of Mormons I know are outstanding, wonderful people, I've found the clannishness to be a lot more prevalent in smaller towns than larger ones (and more in south/east Idaho than north/west parts of Idaho). For instance, my parents live in Boise and are very rarely asked what church they attend, but in my small town in south-central Idaho that's one of the first questions people will ask you. It's almost as if it matters less or is seen as an imprudent or overly-personal question in the larger cities.

I am by no means prejudiced against small towns in Idaho though--grew up in the Burley area and I loved it; I think it is a good place to raise a family. However, since I am not Mormon, I think if I were to ever move back to Idaho I would relocate to either Boise (Boise proper, too, not the suburbs) or maybe up in Lewiston or farther north where religion seems to be less of a big deal. I was treated badly in grade school and jr high because I wasn't LDS, though I don't resent it now because I realize my classmates were just parroting the opinions of their parents. That said, I still don't want my kids to have to deal with the same thing. By the time I got to college, though (in Salt Lake City, ironically, where I felt less out of place) it didn't seem to matter as much, as far as socializing goes.

Be aware though, if you have teenagers-- most Mormon parents won't allow their kids to date non-mormons. They don't want them to get attached and not marry in the temple, or do something "immoral", and from what I've seen there's just a general opinion among some (more conservative, it seems) Mormons that non-Mormon kids are less moral and more prone to get in trouble (which isn't necessarily true, but I and other non-Mormon kids my age got that a lot). FYI this was only about 7 years ago so I really doubt much has changed since then, but I think (hope!) as my generation (25 and younger) gets older maybe it will matter less...

All that said, I still love Idaho and it's people, regardless of what religious eccentricities they may have (and most Idahoans can say...at least we're not Utah! It's all in good fun though. Utahans and Idahoans like to affectionately rib each other about which state is better/worse). My husband and I are hoping to move back in a couple of years to be nearer to family in Boise.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 37,419 times
Default Lds

I Am Currently Looking To Move To The Southern Idaho Area. Boise East Preferably Around Idaho Falls Area. But All The Comments About The Lds Church Has Me Wondering. I Am Not Lds And Am Not Very Religious. My Wife And I Are Tired Of The Rat Race That Is Wa. State. We Don't Want To Be Looked Down On Because We Are Not Lds We Just Want To Fit In!!! We Are Not Rich By Any Means But Are Not Poor Either. Is All The Talk Over Stated Or Should WE Reconsider????

Old 06-28-2007, 05:02 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,876,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
I Am Currently Looking To Move To The Southern Idaho Area. Boise East Preferably Around Idaho Falls Area. But All The Comments About The Lds Church Has Me Wondering. I Am Not Lds And Am Not Very Religious. My Wife And I Are Tired Of The Rat Race That Is Wa. State. We Don't Want To Be Looked Down On Because We Are Not Lds We Just Want To Fit In!!! We Are Not Rich By Any Means But Are Not Poor Either. Is All The Talk Over Stated Or Should WE Reconsider????
You don't have to worry, but if I were you I would consider looking more towards Southwest Idaho around the Boise area since the population is MUCH larger than Eastern Idaho and there is MUCH more religious diversity.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 37,419 times
sw idaho?? Nampa,Caldwell? all i hear and read about is gangs and crime.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 35,101 times
Default Looking to move to Eastern/So.Eastern Idaho

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to City-Data Forum and I've been reading all you have to say about the LDS folks that are living in the So. Eastern part of Idaho. It intrigued me as I am LDS and we are considering moving to that part of the state. We're trying to get closer to family. We're currently living in Branson, MO, which we just LOVE, but hate being so far away from grandkids, etc. But here, the folks are all so friendly it doesn't matter what religion you are and we've got Baptists, Catholics, LDS, Jewish, other protestant faiths, and everyone seems to get along just fine. But we don't have a large LDS population here; maybe 1,000-1200 people. But I'm not so sure I want to move into areas where other LDS folks are not living the way we've been taught: to love our neighbors and be helpful and kind.

I guess it takes just a few to sort of ruin it for the rest of us who are trying to be good, community citizens, and trying our best to do the right thing.

So with that said, does anyone have any help for me on the communities between Idaho Falls and Rexburg? We personally prefer a smaller town, but we're willing to look at anything.

Hey, thanks for your help, and if we should happen to move into your community, we would hope that we would be an asset and a good neighbor.

PhotoSponge

Last edited by PhotoSponge; 06-28-2007 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: I forgot to put in a "?" at the end of a sentence.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,876,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
sw idaho?? Nampa,Caldwell? all i hear and read about is gangs and crime.
There is a lot more to SW Idaho than Nampa/Caldwell. You will have to deal with south of the border gangbangers in SE Idaho too.
BTW, Nampa and Caldwell have seen property values increase by over 40% this year. Guess what that means? The bangers are flushed out to more rural areas because they will not be able to afford to live in the towns anymore Nampa and Caldwell are changing and changing fast. Check out the development news for each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho