Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry. It will not be something that is censored here on CD, as it's common language in America to describe your religion and people who follow your religion, and if it is offensive to your church, they may think about a PR campaign to let people KNOW that they don't like it. Until that comes about, it will remain a common term in our vocabulary in general discussion in this country and will not be addressed further on CD. This will not be argued further, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I'm sorry. It will not be something that is censored here on CD, as it's common language in America to describe your religion and people who follow your religion, and if it is offensive to your church, they may think about a PR campaign to let people KNOW that they don't like it. Until that comes about, it will remain a common term in our vocabulary in general discussion in this country and will not be addressed further on CD. This will not be argued further, sorry.
I'm sorry; perhaps you read too much into my post. I was not asking for anything; I was only commenting. As far as censoring is concerned, I will leave it to others to decide how they will conduct themselves.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:38 PM

I was replying to FunkyPioneer's posts with regard to use of this term here on CD. I have no issues with your post(s).

Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 PM

82 posts, read 370,787 times
If you had people posting tell me about the XXXX(Inserert other religion or race here) people in XXXX (Insert city/state here); people all over would be screaming foul. Yet for some reason religious discrimination is allowed against the LDS Faith here. Its sad and wrong. It doesn't matter what religion is prevalent where, if you find a nice place to live make it your home and be happy there.

Mormon is a derogatory term, most won't take offense to it, but if you know the history behind it maybe you might be a bit kinder with your use of it. Thats all. No hard feelings ya all.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 AM

OK. You've said your piece. But I do wish for you to note that in any discussion you may have here on CD, we will not tolerate you picking fights over people using this term. I'm certain you understand.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 35,124 times
Hello Sage of Sagle,
I just wanted to say that I've been LDS all my life and just reading these posts today, is the FIRST time I have ever heard that being referred to as a "Mormon" was derrogatory! In fact, I was REALLY surprised! I just figured it was easier for folks to remember than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (our official name). But the Church has ALWAYS requested that the press refer to us by our official name, and more of them are complying, but still others need to be further educated.

And just a note to "Fabforever", the official Church Website is LDS.org. The Mormon.org is usually where people start, who are trying to find out more about our beliefs, but still only know us by the term "Mormon".

I hope this helps, and please forgive me if I have posted incorrectly, because I am still really new at this forum-navigation-posting "stuff".

Sincerely,
PhotoSponge

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
READ THIS WARNING FIRST BEFORE YOU POST BASHING THE LDS/MORMONS IN IDAHO....

City-Data.com has a forum where you may freely discuss the Mormon/Latter-Day-Saints religion, love it or hate it.

But the place for a major discussion on the veracity or vilification of the LDS population of Idaho cities is NOT the Idaho regional forum.

WAY too many threads are being derailed, and that's just not constructive or quite frankly of any benefit to anyone here.

If you hate the LDS church, that is your right, but if you cannot help but violate rules your posts will be deleted and your posting privileges restricted if you continue to post in the Idaho state forum versus the Religion forum.

So discussions on the POSITIVE or NEGATIVE influence of the LDS church in Idaho should be discussed here. Discussions on the Mormon religion itself DO NOT BELONG in this forum and will be deleted, repeat violations will result in posting privileges being restricted.

* NOTE: I am not LDS or LDS-leaning. Just needing to keep things from getting out of hand.
Good message.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM

12 posts, read 40,943 times
Default Please Forgive Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyPioneer View Post
First the term Mormon is derogatory. It is just as bad as calling an African American the "n" word. So please don't use it.

<Religious debate portion deleted>

You will find the if you have a LDS neighbor that they are the kindness, most generous people you will ever come across. Instead of avoiding these people I say your best bet is to have them as a neighbor. Good people.
Wow, is all this because I used the "M" word? Hey, I'm sorry if I offended an LDS person here by saying that word.

I mostly agree about LDS people being good neighbors in general. Many are hypocrites, just as there are Christian hypocrites, or any faiths hypocrites. You fare better around here if you are LDS...to go any further would start an argument and that is not my purpose.

My husband and I have a kinda cool way we deal with things. If I think about doing something...say....going on a cruise with the girls, I always think, ok, if he was to "go on a cruise with the guys", how would I feel? If I think it would hurt my feelings or make me feel left out, then I don't even go any further to think about it and he does the same. We have remained best friends because we truly care about each others feelings.

My faith is about being a Christian because I follow Christ and believe every single thing He said in the Bible; I follow His teachings. I am not offended if you call me Christian, Jesus Follower or you could called me Bible Lover or Jesus Freak. That doesn't offend me at all. So that is why I never dreamed calling an LDS person a Mormon was offensive...besides the fact that for 30 years now I have lived here among Mormons, worked with them and for them, eaten with them, gone to their church for funerals, even slept in the same house with them! I have always called them Mormons and no one has ever looked at me like I just called them a cuss word. But it obviously offends you Funky Pioneer, so I apologize and hope you will forgive me for my slang.

God bless us all ~ Agreed?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:04 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,044 times
Here is a nation wide map on mormon population, where we live. I'm lds...in CA. Hope you find it useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Discussion on the Mormon/LDS influence in Idaho-mormon.gif  

Old 07-09-2007, 12:58 PM

74 posts, read 312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyPioneer View Post

Mormon is a derogatory term, most won't take offense to it, but if you know the history behind it maybe you might be a bit kinder with your use of it. Thats all. No hard feelings ya all.

I am pleading ignorance I this one. Can you please explain why it is derogatory? I am not LDS but work with many at my office and they have never seemed offended when I use the "m-word" and trust me they would say something if they were offended.

Thanks ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho