Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Yeah, I always thought those CdA peeps were a bunch of mutants lol.
Nah. They're regular folks who just glow in the dark sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 AM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
I've been looking on the web at R/E in rural west CDA, and noticed that there are not a lot of basements. Is this radon concern why this is?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
If you do some research, you will find considerable scientific disagreement on the validity of the concern about radon gas. I find it interesting that the people most concerned about it are the ones making money off of mitigating it. A lot of informed people will tell you that the chemicals coming out of your carpet or house sheathing are considerably worse. Every few years there is a new boogy man in housing. There is usually a cheerleading squad about the dangers of the new boogy man and they are more than happy to test and fix your problem (for a small fee).
Yes and there are many "Radon Health Mines" where folks pay to sit and breath radon rich air.
Radon I believe can also be found in solution in well water.
There is value in having a mobile home that is not on a permanent foundation but on piers instead.
These homes have good crawlspace ventilation, but banks don't like to give mortgages on these types of properties.
Too much radon may not be good but a little may not be harmful but folks will be arguing about the dangers of various forms radiation forever or until we all become "Viral Mutant Apocalyptic Zombies", whichever come first !!!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
Its the Pacific Northwest, we sit on huge piles of Granite, there is no way around it. The only way you can mitigate it is with a Radon Removal System, which will cost a couple thousand dollars if your really worried about it. But honestly, while I believe it is a danger, I think it is a little overblown with low numbers. But if your worried about it, have your REALTOR recommend a good home inspector who can run a test. If it comes up to be past what you feel safe with, then have him contact a licensed Radon Mitigator and have them install a system.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
My daughter is buying a house on the South Hill (Spokane) which is supposed to have high radon levels. Thankfully the radon levels in her house were very low. Which is good, because the first thing they are planning to do is replace the 65 year old furnace and add AC. Not having to pay for a radon kit is a plus.

Last edited by mistyriver; 03-18-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 17,837 times
In response to javatom, I take exception to what you said re "considerable disagreement on the validity of the concern about radon gas" & I include a statement from your profile ..." I will base entire theories on one statement". There is a wealth of information about the dangers of Radon gas as a cancer causer & it is the #1 cause of cancer in non smokers. You can read Dr. Oz or your local state representative or a number of scientific profiles on the dangers of Radon gas. I can't claim to always be right but I did my homework when it comes to this subject (Radon gas emission.)

Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM

294 posts, read 544,059 times
My point was simply to point out that there are many bad gases in a home. They don't all have mitigation teams standing by to charge you money to make you feel better about it. I would certainly never argue with credibility of a tv celebrity (Dr. Oz) or a politician as these are two highly regarded authorities in America. You stated that you would not have moved to Idaho if you had known about radon. It can be found in almost every state. If you are so concerned about it, pay a mitigation company to take care of it for you.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
FWIW, I did the test and the level was low.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM

274 posts, read 471,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
My point was simply to point out that there are many bad gases in a home.
Apparently you have teenage boys in your home also, along with the poor dog who catches all the blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: