Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

209 posts, read 240,006 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how tight the job market is in education (teaching) in north central and northern Idaho? I am looking to relocate but I would need to get hired into a school. I have nine years experience, a BA+20 (I have almost completed my Masters), I am K-8 certified, highly qualified in science and social studies and I have taught middle school seven of my nine years. Do I have a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM

123 posts, read 263,218 times
You have a very good if not great chance. Idaho is low in teachers pay but where the make up for it is that they give you all years of experience and education advancements on pay scale. I have been teaching for the same district for 27 years but I am taking a teaching job in Idaho for this next school year. In fact, I am going out there over spring break to sign contract. It is in Special Education though, so jobs are a bit more plentiful........

Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
I think you do as well. I know from a friend of mine who is a teacher in #271 district (which is Kootenai county, namely coeur d alene) that there is 11 teachers retiring this year. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
You have a very good if not great chance. Idaho is low in teachers pay but where the make up for it is that they give you all years of experience and education advancements on pay scale. I have been teaching for the same district for 27 years but I am taking a teaching job in Idaho for this next school year. In fact, I am going out there over spring break to sign contract. It is in Special Education though, so jobs are a bit more plentiful........
So great to hear! I have so many questions for you but not the time to ask this moment - I will post them later tonight. Congrats on your new job!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
I think you do as well. I know from a friend of mine who is a teacher in #271 district (which is Kootenai county, namely coeur d alene) that there is 11 teachers retiring this year. Good luck!
Thank you for sharing that information with me. Networking and word of mouth is often how jobs are acquired, at least in my personal experience. I have always went out of my way to share my advanced knowledge of openings or future openings in my district with friends and acquaintances who were looking for a teaching position. As you know, this field is intensely competitive it can be very difficult to attain a position, especially for an inexperienced teacher. I am happy to give someone an opportunity whenever I can. Thanks again for the heads up.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbear2 View Post
I meant to post my questions when I said I would but I have a four month old baby and I am sure you know how that goes. If you have the time I would love to hear about your experiences with finding your new teaching job. How did you find your job, did you research school districts then do a targeted job search (if so how), was there a huge cut in pay (I am from Michigan we are in the top 5 in the country for teacher pay am I going to be in shock), when you say they gave you your years of experience do you mean they gave you your top step or just tenure, any problems with "transferring" your existing teaching certificate to Idaho, etc, etc? Just to name a few questions. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 AM

I hear what you say!! Illinois is a good paying state for teachers pay as well. For me, since I have 27 years teaching, it will be a huge pay cut. However, I will start at $50K which is the top of the pay scale for the district I am going to. Most states only give you a max of 5 years experience but almost all of Idaho will give you your total years of experience. In Illinois, individual school districts have individual or local budgets. In Idaho, you are paid from the state. I imagine they do this so rural districts can attract teachers as well as the bigger communities. Believe me, i have researched and researched and I would not make more than $38K in Colorado or other western states. So starting teacher pay in Idaho is poor, but with experience - its not so bad. I am 51 and have 4 years to go to collect my Illinois pension so if I keep teaching til I am 60 the last 5 years I will make more than I am now with Idaho pay and Illinois pension. BTW, since the state pays the teachers salary and not local districts, most superintendents that I have talked to says they will always go with the teachers with experience - "its no skin off their backs"! www.idahoeducationjobs.com is where you can check for openings. Getting an Idaho teacher certificate was a smooth transaction.............

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM

But............last year teachers had to take like a 3% pay cut and administrators 5%

Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
You should go look at the article in today's local newspaper The Daily Bee. There are some huge cuts happening in the schools around here starting next fall. I assume there will be a hiring freeze or at the least not a lot of hiring.

Sandpoint's Bonner County Daily Bee - Your source for Sandpoint Idaho news and information

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You should go look at the article in today's local newspaper The Daily Bee. There are some huge cuts happening in the schools around here starting next fall. I assume there will be a hiring freeze or at the least not a lot of hiring.

Sandpoint's Bonner County Daily Bee - Your source for Sandpoint Idaho news and information
Thank you for the link and I did read it. That story is all too common in Michigan as well. My school district is in financial trouble and I know of very few that are not. I have witnessed the educational landscape steadily deteriorate over the years as the result of the very conspicuous financial difficulties as well as many less conspicuous variables. This has caused me begin considering a plan B for my career and I believe I have come up with one could work for me. I do love teaching and I happen to be pretty darn good at it (what can I say, I have a knack for getting seventh graders to enjoy learning science concepts ) but I am also a realist. If we move to Idaho not only is a teaching job going to be hard to come by but I will take a minimum of a $10,000 pay cut even in the best case scenario of being given credit for my years of experience. A pay cut? Ouch! But life experience has taught me that sometimes you need to take one step back to take two steps forward. My plan B would take me to the private sector where I would have a bit more control over my destiny with a career that I still find meaningful and allows me the opportunity to continue interacting with individuals on a personal level. In fact, I am thinking of posting a thread to explore the possibilities of such a venture in NID. That will have to happen another day, I need to get some precious sleep so I will be able to keep up with my little man tomorrow . Thank you again for the info. Everyone on this forum has been so generous and I do appreciate it very much. Good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho