Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,046 times

Advertisements

20 years old moving with my boyfriend to Idaho in a couple months but haven't decided on the town.
I've chosen these two because they both offer the degree I want at their university. I just want to know
1) where is a better place for people our age to live
2) where would my boyfriend most likely be able to find a mechanic job.
We can handle the snow and sun. we can also handle big city and small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I haven't spent any time in Pocatello, so I can't compare and contrast them. Living in Moscow, I can tell you it is a great place to live. If you have specific questions about Moscow I can answer them.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
CDA, Boise, or Moscow is your best bet, in my opinion. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Pocatello.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
CDA, Boise, or Moscow is your best bet, in my opinion. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Pocatello.
Why? Please don't just lay that out there without some sort of explantation.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
We have a home in Boise but one of my sons is a Vandal, the other is a Bengal, so I've spent a fair bit of time in both Moscow and Pocatello.

They're different cities in many way. Let's start with the obvious- geography. Moscow is rolling farm land (Palouse) whereas Pocatello is high desert (arid) terrain.

In terms of population, Pocatello is about twice the size of Moscow (50-55K vs. 20-25K). Moscow is basically a university town and tends to revolve around the U of I. Agriculture (wheat, cattle) is the other prominent "industry" in the region. It has a fun university town "vibe" during the school year and turns back in to a sleepy little farm town when school is out. A bit of trivia for you: the University of Idaho is actually a little older than the state itself and was chartered (1889) before Idaho was admitted to the Union as a state (1890). The closest "big city" would be Spokane.

Pocatello OTOH was initially Indian reservation country (Fort Hall) and then in the late 1800's boomed during the gold rush. It became a "railroad town" thereafter and was an important stop for all those fortune seekers heading west. This rapid sprawl didn't allow much time for urban planning and this layed the foundation (IMO) for many of the complaints you hear leveled against Pocatello today. IOW, the infrastructure downtown and in other places leaves a little to be desired (in fairness to Pocatello a lot of these problems have been addressed over the years). To give you an example, the streets were first layed out originally around the railroad lines. Lay track first and then put roads in the spots you have left over! The streets there still don't make a lot of sense to me at times ("southwest" is west or "southeast" is south). Pocatello has a university as well (ISU) but has more industry otherwise than just a university so your boyfriend might have better luck finding a mechanic job in Pocatello? The closest "big city" would be Boise (Idaho Falls is about the same size as Pocatello). Pocatello (as does a lot of SE Idaho) has a large LDS population (if social demographics matter to you).

Honestly, it's very much going to depend upon whether you prefer living in northern Idaho's rolling Palouse farm land region or whether you prefer living in arid high desert southern Idaho/Pocatello. I tend to think hillside farm land is prettier than desert scenery personally, so I think Moscow is "nicer" to look at but that's totally subjective. Pocatello is bigger, so there may be more job opportunities for you two around there. You'll probably just want to go where ever you can land the best job and after that I'm sure you'll make friends easily in either town.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72
Why? Please don't just lay that out there without some sort of explantation.

Last edited by Dendrite; 02-16-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
We have a home in Boise but one of my sons is a Vandal, the other is a Bengal, so I've spent a fair bit of time in both Moscow and Pocatello.

They're different cities in many way. Let's start with the obvious- geography. Moscow is rolling farm land (Palouse) whereas Pocatello is high desert (arid) terrain.

In terms of population, Pocatello is about twice the size of Moscow (50-55K vs. 20-25K). Moscow is basically a university town and tends to revolve around the U of I. Agriculture (wheat, cattle) is the other prominent "industry" in the region. It has a fun university town "vibe" during the school year and turns back in to a sleepy little farm town when school is out. A bit of trivia for you: the University of Idaho is actually a little older than the state itself and was chartered (1889) before Idaho was admitted to the Union as a state (1890). The closest "big city" would be Spokane.

Pocatello OTOH was initially Indian reservation country (Fort Hall) and then in the late 1800's boomed during the gold rush. It became a "railroad town" thereafter and was an important stop for all those fortune seekers heading west. This rapid sprawl didn't allow much time for urban planning and this layed the foundation (IMO) for many of the complaints you hear leveled against Pocatello today. IOW, the infrastructure downtown and in other places leaves a little to be desired (in fairness to Pocatello a lot of these problems have been addressed over the years). To give you an example, the streets were first layed out originally around the railroad lines. Lay track first and then put roads in the spots you have left over! The streets there still don't make a lot of sense to me at times ("southwest" is west or "southeast" is south). Pocatello has a university as well (ISU) but has more industry otherwise than just a university so your boyfriend might have better luck finding a mechanic job in Pocatello? The closest "big city" would be Boise (Idaho Falls is about the same size as Pocatello). Pocatello (as does a lot of SE Idaho) has a large LDS population (if social demographics matter to you).

Honestly, it's very much going to depend upon whether you prefer living in northern Idaho's rolling Palouse farm land region or whether you prefer living in arid high desert southern Idaho/Pocatello. I tend to think hillside farm land is prettier than desert scenery personally, so I think Moscow is "nicer" to look at but that's totally subjective. Pocatello is bigger, so there may be more job opportunities for you two around there. You'll probably just want to go where ever you can land the best job and after that I'm sure you'll make friends easily in either town.

Hope this helps!
thanks, that is a pretty good summation. I dislike it when posters make blanket statements and don't even try to back it up.

I will add that Pocatello, while indeed "high desert" actually is more mountainous than Moscow, with mountains pretty much surrounding the city. Also, Moscow's climate is influenced by the Pacific Ocean moreso than Poky, in fact Pocatello's weather is equally influenced by the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest. Makes for some interesting storms in the spring and early summer.

Last edited by pw72; 02-16-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
thanks, that is a pretty good summation. I dislike it when posters make blanket statements and don't even try to back it up.

I will add that Pocatello, while indeed "high desert" actually is more mountainous than Moscow, with mountains pretty much surrounding the city. Also, Moscow's climate is influenced by the Pacific Ocean moreso than Poky, in fact Pocatello's weather is equally influenced by the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest. Makes for some interesting storms in the spring and early summer.

pw72 hit it right on, Pocatello is not just "high desert" but is surrounded by mountains except for the area north of the city which is the beginning of the Snake River Plains which is an interesting topography of lava and extinct volcanoes and canyons. There is even a river, the Portneuf River near downtown, granted it isn't as large as the Boise River in Boise or the Snake River in Idaho Falls. The mountains that surround Poky have some really beautiful areas and forests and creeks and incredible sunsets. The area immediately east and south of Pocatello towards Lava Hot Springs and Bear Lake is an area of big mountains, valleys, lush forests, and streams and rivers, so the "high desert" surprises. I personally think the area of Idaho around Pocatello, the topography, is just as scenic if not moreso than around Moscow and I know that Moscow is in a beautiful location, I have been there several times and always am amazed at the beauty of the Palouse.

As mentioned Pocatello is larger than Moscow, has more industry, I don't think Pocatello feels as isolated as Moscow, great skiing is around the bend on I-15 from downtown Poky, and the Gate City has a really interesting historic downtown with a lot of great architecture, and a few good Greek restaurants.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
...I have been there several times and always am amazed at the beauty of the Palouse.
A key to remember for Moscow is that it is on the edge of the Palouse. In other words, yes we do have beautiful rolling hills. Additionally, within 2-3 hours are just about every other type of outdoor activity that you can imagine. With the exception of ocean. Snow skiing? Check. Scenic lakes? Check. Mountains? Check. Rivers? Check. Badlands/desert? Check. I could go on.

Sounds like both communities are very livable. Perhaps the educational institution should be the deciding factor...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I wasn't making a blanket statement, sweety. It was more of a ranking. I'll provide a more detailed comparison when I have time.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
A key to remember for Moscow is that it is on the edge of the Palouse. In other words, yes we do have beautiful rolling hills. Additionally, within 2-3 hours are just about every other type of outdoor activity that you can imagine. With the exception of ocean. Snow skiing? Check. Scenic lakes? Check. Mountains? Check. Rivers? Check. Badlands/desert? Check. I could go on.

Sounds like both communities are very livable. Perhaps the educational institution should be the deciding factor...
All you said is true, the Moscow area is beautiful and has a lot of varied terrain within an easy drive, I was just pointing out aspects of the Pocatello area because I notice far too many people in this forum, not you, but others, who tend to assume that the mountain desert areas of Southern Idaho are not worth checking into when in fact many of those people do not have a clue about the vast topography of Southern Idaho which has the states tallest mountains and largest forested wilderness areas and the largest concentration of deep desert canyons in the USA. They just judge the entire southern half of the state based on their travels along I-84.

Idaho is a state that was lucky enough to have some of the most beautiful land in the lower 48 contained in her borders when she was made a State. Southern Idaho is as beautiful as Northern Idaho, and there is more land in Southern Idaho to explore than up North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho