Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
geo geo started this thread

17 posts, read 102,964 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about St. Maries? I know it's got a small population of under 3,000. What would it be like to live there? What is the weather like (compared to Boise?) Any possibility for job near there as a PA (Physician Assistant)? Where do the residents work? Does it take long (travel thru mtns?) to get to any bigger cities?

geo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM

291 posts, read 710,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo
Can anyone tell me anything about St. Maries? I know it's got a small population of under 3,000. What would it be like to live there? What is the weather like (compared to Boise?) Any possibility for job near there as a PA (Physician Assistant)? Where do the residents work? Does it take long (travel thru mtns?) to get to any bigger cities?

geo
Well, since no one else has yet replied, and with the caveat that I haven't lived there but briefly worked and have recreated around there...
St. Maries is a logging and farming town with a distinct blue-collar feel that hasn't changed much in decades. It is in a gorgeous setting, where the St. Joe River enters Lake Coeur d'Alene. Despite that, it isn't at all touristy, and in fact is a bit run-down. It has a small but growing county hospital and about ten physicians, so PAs should be in demand. It takes about an hour to drive to Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Moscow or Kellogg; the roads are somewhat twisty and hilly, scenic but not really mountainous. Climate is milder than Boise. If you enjoy outdoor recreation (fishing, hunting, quads, a bit of skiing or snowmobiling), it's ideal.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response! Any others who have any knowledge or opinion about St. Maries?

geo

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 38,087 times
I've lived in Coeur D' Alene Idaho, which is about 30 minutes north of St. Maries and am a PA in general surgery here in town.

St. Maries is well described by the previous response and it does have a hospital and some physicians there but at this time I believe it to be a bit stagnant medically.

That being said, the entire region is growing and St. Maries may be a unique place to make a niche for yourself, depending on your specialty.

There are more opportunities in Coeur d' Alene, home of Kootenai Medical Center and more yet in Spokane which has multiple large hospitals.

Overall, the region is beautiful, recreationally diverse and safe - a great place to live and have a family. The summers are warm, usually not too hot and the spring and fall is lovely. The winters do tend to be a bit gray and the sunlight is short but the snow is a lot of fun if you like to recreate in it - snowmobiling is huge here along with some world class skiing.

Just curious - how did you come up with St. Maries? Many people have never heard of even Coeur d' Alene, let alone St. Maries. One important aspect of this area - it is only now becoming ethnically diverse and it still is mostly "white bread" - just to let you know.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Well...

I lived in Mtn. Home/Boise for many years. I want so much to go back to that side of the country, but not specifically to that area with it's increase in population and the problems of Mtn. Home. My husband and I are part of a Christian church which is common in Europe but has very few congregations here in the U.S.--there is one in St. Maries of all places!

My husband is not a PA, but is applying to the PA program in Orlando, FL. He came to the U.S. six years ago and we settled in Orlando for now. We don't want to live anywhere in this part (Southeast) of the country, but want to live back in the West in a small and not very growing town with reasonable access to city/job. I worry about possible high cost of housing and possible lower salaries. In Orlando, starting PA salaries are around $80K. We would like to have an acre or two and live a quiet life raising our one child away from the city. We are pretty conservative. I'm a bit Amish-like in some ways and living in a big city (or even mid-sized city) is not what I'm used to.

Coeur d' Alene sounds nice but I worry about it's growth and future diversity. I was a little surprised to hear Spokane called the "trailer park of the West." I want to be where I won't soon have to look so hard to find conservative people who have something in common with us. My husband also feels he would fit in better in Idaho, but wonders about Spokane, too. He is from a small village in Switzerland. I guess he is what-did-you-say: "white bread?"--but being a European, his crust is harder. I"m the wife so I've removed some of the crust, but I think some just won't come off... Speaking English is VERY important actually to BOTH of us. We like languages and we either know/speak/or are learning a bit of French/German/Spanish, but we especially want to live in an area where there is very little Hispanic population. I have had some good friends who were Hispanic, but, generally, we simply do not relate to the culture itself and don't want our child learning their ways or being forced to speak Spanish--or be influenced by a larger population of them. We have noticed that when our child says "Hello" or "Hola" to them at the park, a LARGE majority of them seem to have not learned how to offer a polite "Hello" in ANY language, but feel okay to just stare a hole through her for 5 min instead!

May I or my husband contact you by e-mail with any questions in the future about PA work or Northern Idaho/Washington? I have spent many years trying to find a place to settle and have been looking at land and homes here and there over the past 20 years across the USA (and several other countries). I am the type to drop in a city on vacation (even in Europe and Asia) and almost instead of finding a place to put my things, I grab the real estate section of the local paper, study it, and then line up a meeting with the first real estate agent possible.

It is difficult for us to do now with my husband's current job and college studies, but we hope to plan to drop in on Couer d' Alene/St. Maries/Spokane/Post Falls/...Canada??? when we can or maybe just one of us would go. Thanks for your response!

geo

Last edited by geo; 08-08-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM

47 posts, read 289,317 times
Geo,

If lack of racial/cultural diversity is an issue your looking in the right dirrection. Just check out the population breakdown for all North Idaho and you'll see what I mean. This doesn't mean that your child can't become a little more worldly by learning THIER or any other culture. I really doubt your husband will get $80K in Idaho, but cost of living may be far cheaper in St. Maries.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Trouthunter, Thanks for the info. It definately seems more in line with what we are looking for. No, we are not isolating our daughter from learning about other cultures. We like many cultures and have friends from many countries, but it's nice for us to be able to live around and share with like-minded people without all the barriers to break down constantly. I have done cultural studies at the college level and my daughter knows some neat and fun stuff about many cultures, as well. She locates all of the countries on the map except for Tajikistan and Turkmenistan and tells about how they live, some of their customs, imports/exports, animals native to the area, etc. That's exciting...She is 3 years old. It is refreshing for us to see other cultures BUT I don't want to drown in it and have myself wondering where MY OWN culture went, why IT is not respected or acknowledged, and whether I could find a place to go and be a part of my MY culture and language--a culture and language I cherish.

geo

Last edited by geo; 08-08-2007 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM

78 posts, read 404,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
, but we especially want to live in an area where there is very little Hispanic population. I have had some good friends who were Hispanic, but, generally, we simply do not relate to the culture itself and don't want our child learning their ways or being forced to speak Spanish--or be influenced by a larger population of them.

geo
Wow Let me know if you fit in there. If you fit in there, then there's no way on God's green earth that I'm gonna fit in.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:23 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,432 times
geo, you will fit into the st maries area from the sound of what you want. as for those that are shocked with that, there are parts of this country that blonde blue-eyed "white bread" (your term)folks dont fit in, and are not welcomed. Im not trying to start anything, Im not saying its right, its just a fact of life, like it or not. I know you people dont like anything negative but sometimes that is the way it is. why do most people ask if they will be accepted? because they know its a real issue.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,962 times
I am also putting St Maries on my list of possible locations. While I love northern Id, I just don't think employment is going to happen there (Bonners Ferry/Moyie Springs) .
I guess i'll have to stay near a population center Luckily population centers there pale in comparison to Southern CA. Heck the city I live in now has more population than CDA, and is surrounded by millions on top of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho