Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,223 times

Advertisements

What is the main Yellowpages book issued to Boise residents and Businesses? I will need to advertise a business in there if I make the move. I tried searching online but that just brings up all the generic internet yellowpages.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:02 PM

45 posts, read 187,122 times
www.impactyp.com and DexOnline.com

Old 12-28-2006, 03:33 PM

39 posts, read 238,239 times
Default Yellow pgs

What type of business?

I am in 4 books with different results.

TopGun-

Old 12-29-2006, 01:20 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
Don't waste your money in the yellow pages, nobody under the age of 40 looks at them anyway. Better to spend your money on a decent website. Last time I had a business in the yellow pages all you got were price shoppers that never bought anything.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:09 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Don't waste your money in the yellow pages, nobody under the age of 40 looks at them anyway. Better to spend your money on a decent website. Last time I had a business in the yellow pages all you got were price shoppers that never bought anything.
What business are you in?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:24 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
What business are you in?
Business supplies like printing, labels and other custom products. All I ever got from the yellow pages were price shoppers who were calling everyone in the book to try and save two cents. Personally, I can't remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages for anything, I go directly to the internet.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:42 AM

39 posts, read 238,239 times
Default Yellow pgs

Yellow pages seem to work great for service industry,
Qwest is the biggest, most expensive. I have been happy with impact directories, they are half the price. Yellow book is cheap but new to the valley. they have a larger area, no color in the book.
don't waste your money on the newspapers, lesson learned.
radio ads are nice but 50 bucks a minute.

what do you do?

TopGun- (best bug killer in the valley)

Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 PM

45 posts, read 187,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
Yellow pages seem to work great for service industry,
Qwest is the biggest, most expensive. I have been happy with impact directories, they are half the price. Yellow book is cheap but new to the valley. they have a larger area, no color in the book.
don't waste your money on the newspapers, lesson learned.
radio ads are nice but 50 bucks a minute.

what do you do?

TopGun- (best bug killer in the valley)
I agree. Some business types live or die on yellow page response. Dex is over-priced and arrogant as well. Impact is a great option. People do use the book and are ready to spend money. Most yellow page ads are a joke as far as prompting the consumer to respond.
Hint: Nobody cares that you have a nice building or a white service van so why waste ad space with those boring pictures. The consumer is only interested in "What can you do for me ,Now!"

The newspaper is all but dead for most businesses, it's the real-estate-mortgage loan+car dealership ad money that is keeping the papers afloat.

That is free advice and worth every penny you paid for it.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
Business supplies like printing, labels and other custom products. All I ever got from the yellow pages were price shoppers who were calling everyone in the book to try and save two cents. Personally, I can't remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages for anything, I go directly to the internet.
That's interesting because I'm an eye doctor and it's well known that advertising in the yellow pages is a waste of time. Of course for a completely different reason since we depend so much on referrals and insurance (if we aren't on the plan, more than likely they won't come see us).

I have to deal with similar things as you and I don't like price shoppers either. You can spot one a mile away, especially when they say, "Can I get a couple of extra trial contacts for the road?" Anytime someone asks me for favors, it sends up a red flag.

Having a website doesn't really help much either since as I say, it's referrals that count, i.e. people talking to other people. The only thing a website is good for in my business is to reinforce a person's already made up mind.

We do occasionally get someone who looks in the phone book, but nationally I believe the rate is something like only 7%, and even then you have to wonder if a person was simply looking up a phone number or address and was actually referred. Admittedly, there are few people who will simply point and call. But we generally don't get these people since they would rather go to the cheap-o places at places like Sears and Costco.

I have my own private practice in Connecticut in case you are wondering...

Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
That's interesting because I'm an eye doctor and it's well known that advertising in the yellow pages is a waste of time. Of course for a completely different reason since we depend so much on referrals and insurance (if we aren't on the plan, more than likely they won't come see us).

I have to deal with similar things as you and I don't like price shoppers either. You can spot one a mile away, especially when they say, "Can I get a couple of extra trial contacts for the road?" Anytime someone asks me for favors, it sends up a red flag.

Having a website doesn't really help much either since as I say, it's referrals that count, i.e. people talking to other people. The only thing a website is good for in my business is to reinforce a person's already made up mind.

We do occasionally get someone who looks in the phone book, but nationally I believe the rate is something like only 7%, and even then you have to wonder if a person was simply looking up a phone number or address and was actually referred. Admittedly, there are few people who will simply point and call. But we generally don't get these people since they would rather go to the cheap-o places at places like Sears and Costco.

I have my own private practice in Connecticut in case you are wondering...
By reading this thread, I am thinking I am the only left who even opens the phone book

On the contrary proeye, has our health doesn't include vision, I do use the phone book to find both the doctor to examine my eyes (need to get that done soon ) and for a place to fill the Rx. My problem of late is finding someone in the area I'm comfortable in going to and I'm not comfy at the ones in the discount stores that run you through like a cattle call. On that note, if you know of one that you'd refer, please PM me. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho