Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I think I can clarify the sheep comment. It makes reference to an old Idaho joke:

Welcome to Idaho where men are men and sheep are nervous.
Oh Im full aware of the whole Idaho Sheep thing.. Just never heard of a BULL legged sheep... Maybe Bow Legged is what he meant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Thats how I interpreted it: Bull=Bow. I've heard both terms used interchangably.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I want the same environment for my kids as you, caragarrett. But here in New England even teachers would consider it 'babysitting' and outside their job descriptions to promote traditional moral values even as superficially applied to conduct. I am hoping to retire in Idaho but would ideally prefer raising my kids there NOW. Something rotten has happened in the past 10 years in New England *socially*. It really stinks having to find just the right non-mainstream niche which is acceptable for your family in every locale. We did that in SoCal and although NH has many benefits, socially the 'mainstream' is just as unacceptable for my traditional (not religious fanatics) family. I would prefer to raise my kids in a place where most people are genuinely friendly and honorably virtuous.
And, there are those of us who are not religious, but still homeschool and otherwise do not fit in with the 'artsy/organic crowd'-although to look at us, we would seem to fit right in....
yea, i like creative, vibrant places and things, and enjoy eating real food....
but i do not like groupthink and utter decay of human decency and basic etiquette.

Same reason we are looking to move to ID. [btw, I was born and raised in NE-yes, the area has changed-technology spreads info like a virus, that's for sure....but with accountability, kids have a chance. In san diego, (my spouse is a native, a nd has this place changed....) there's so little accountability anymore, from or by anyone.
Unless you are a small dog owner-and then you seem expect the entire world to revolve around your pet...and believe it or not, much of the local world DOES revolve around that animal. People don't even smile at babies anymore-but gather a group around a puppy-geesh.
but that's a minor issue in comparison to the rudeness and lack of etiquette these days....aargh.

Just reading up on ID threads---again---b/c while no place is perfect, and I've lived abroad a bit and also considered other countries-there simply HAS to be a location that is simpler, with clean air, vibrant and full of actual humans! I'm sure it exists, and I will find it. lol(: Sandpoint, Moscow....????

Old 09-11-2010, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 23,970 times
Caragarrett, North Idaho is heaven to us and our favorite place in all we have lived. It is, generally, conservative, but there's a mixed bag also. Most generally we lock the doors, but have left the garage door open and all seems well. There is a small crime element but that is everywhere. It is up to parents/guardians to instill good values and with two family members working now as opposed to my much younger days, that is a decision that has to be made even if it involves giving up your time when you would prefer doing what you want instead. Love the four seasons, especially the snow and winter. Many bodies of water which are beautiful and the mountains. You can always go to Spokane if you're on that side of the state and Missoula, MT if on the east side of the panhandle, if there is something you can't find in the small towns. As for schooling I prefer to see children home-schooled where you have control over what is being instilled in their impressionable minds. The flexibility is great and you can concentrate on making the most of the child's talents, etc. while giving the basics. Hope by now you have enjoyed what we have to offer and are on your way here!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:49 PM

161 posts, read 396,401 times
I agree with honey badger, It's heaven up here. Just moved. Now here 3 months. The summer has been fantastic. All the activities have been outrageous. From camping at Priest Lake, to fishing at Fernan/Hayden/Coeur d'Alene, to cycling for miles, to running down the centenial trail, to riding the Hiawatha trail to hiking, gonna go ATVing soon...I'm exhausted My family is loving it.

Will see if we survive the winter. But I bought a big snowblower, we got great snow gear (we love snow sports), and will be getting studded snow tires shortly. Plenty of wood stacked and will go shopping soon for winter supplies. It's all kinda fun actually.

Next year...HUNTING! woohoooo! (Resident tags much cheaper!)

It's heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho