Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM

26 posts, read 40,178 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have decided that it's time to pick up and move. The area we live in is riddled with crime, drugs and just morally corrupt people. Seriously, this place is awful. And, more and more I'm seeing how things are going in the world and the type of things people are doing and allowing and I just want to live some place where for the most part, people are decent.

I know there is a place where people still leave their doors unlocked and if your dog gets out someone will bring it back rather than call the dog catcher or shoot it. Maybe I'm hoping high but I want to afford my son and any other children I might have the opportunity to get a good education and grow up around good people.

What places in Idaho would you suggest?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:50 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
I leave all my doors unlocked, and have returned a dog to its owner.... I guess N. Idaho would fit the bill....

Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
SE Idaho is also full of nice friendly people. They type that say hello and thank you, hold doors open for you etc. Crime sadly is everywhere, Idaho overall tends to hold a lower crime rate, crimes serious in nature, then many places across the U.S.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM

121 posts, read 347,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragarrett View Post
I know there is a place where people still leave their doors unlocked and if your dog gets out someone will bring it back rather than call the dog catcher or shoot it. Maybe I'm hoping high but I want to afford my son and any other children I might have the opportunity to get a good education and grow up around good people.

What places in Idaho would you suggest?
Not here.

If we brought back every dog that "gets out", it would take way too long. Most the time we just ignore it. Or pet it for a minute and then ignore it.

Unless it is worrying the chickens, trying to breed our dogs, or making a habit of leaving a pile on the lawn. Hmmm. Not sure what we'd do in that case. Hasn't happened yet.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:03 PM

26 posts, read 40,178 times
I'll be honest with you... I just really lost it the other day. I just so happened to land on MTV and there was this little girl singing a song, dressed like "oh my god" and the lyrics to the song she was singing was... "I don't care about your blah blah blah, just show me where your d*cks at"....

It just blew me back and the more I thought about that, I realized that I live in an area where most parents probably don't care if their kids listen to this kind of garbage, if they even know about it. I just can't afford to not care about my kid, he's not even two yet but I know I'm going to be battling some serious stuff when he gets older and I would just rather deal with that stuff in an area where more of the people think like I do when it comes to their kids.

I'm only 27 and to look at me, I'm not Idaho material. However, I'm grown now and when it comes to my future and that of my children, I am going to do whatever is needed to ensure that they have the best chance available.

So, I figure pack it up and move to some place where I can leave my doors unlocked.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Living in SoCal, I had become somewhat inured to having even middle class yuppie teen girls swear like sailors in the line at the movie theater, etc.

A little story for you: On our first visit to Sandpoint, we stopped in at Dubs (burger and ice cream joint). Some rowdy boys came in (late teen age) and one of them dropped the F-bomb. The teen girl behind the counter came out and chewed him out for using that sort of language (saying, "This is a FAMILY place!", and made him leave. Interesting contrast to SoCal.

In Sandpoint Nirvana and free of faults? Of course not. But it's like once again living in "real America" where folks generally try to be respectful to each other and raise their kids to function as decent folk...although we have our "village idiots" like any place....

Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,211 times
ANY parent that lets thier kid watch MTV should be flogged.... Its utter mind rot. It hasnt been about music for a LONG time now... BTW I used to be in an LA rock band in my youth, so Im not such a fuddy duddy;-)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM

209 posts, read 240,127 times
We have been considering moving to Idaho for some of the same reasons as you are. I can't speak to how the people are in Idaho since I don't live there yet but I can say you are in the right place to find out. I have been reading this forum (including the old threads/posts so as not to post redundant questions) for a couple of months now and I have learned so much. The contributors here are truly generous with their knowledge. One thing I have learned from my research is that many people who consider themselves "good" people and are considering a move to Idaho feel that Idaho is a one of the few places left where the majority of its people still have a strong moral compass. I think that alone speaks well to Idaho's reputation for having quality people.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,884 times
Move to Idaho City. It's exactly what you described you were looking for. It's a small quaint touristy town in the mountains just outside of Boise. They have a small but terrific school system, the whole town participates in their events. Everyone is friendly, and they will take you in as family after you have been there a while. It's a great place to raise kids! It is pretty inexpensive to live there too - that is if you can find one for sale right in the town. Not a lot of jobs, but you could work in Boise until you find something in town - some people do - or work from home on the internet. The City and County offices are in the town, so maybe you can find something there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
I want the same environment for my kids as you, caragarrett. But here in New England even teachers would consider it 'babysitting' and outside their job descriptions to promote traditional moral values even as superficially applied to conduct. I am hoping to retire in Idaho but would ideally prefer raising my kids there NOW. Something rotten has happened in the past 10 years in New England *socially*. It really stinks having to find just the right non-mainstream niche which is acceptable for your family in every locale. We did that in SoCal and although NH has many benefits, socially the 'mainstream' is just as unacceptable for my traditional (not religious fanatics) family. I would prefer to raise my kids in a place where most people are genuinely friendly and honorably virtuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho