Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times

Advertisements

You have specific questions below that I can easily answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebigs View Post
For example, I've heard in Moscow that there is a cultural divide between the religious and the liberals. It's even gone so far as to have their own coffee stores.
This is true-sort of. The divide is between one particular ultra conservative church, Christ Church, and local liberals. The church is fairly large, and has strong affiliations with Logos K-12 school and New St. Andrews College. It was nasty a few years ago, with some people refusing to shop in businesses affiliated with that churches members. The coffee shop thing is true. One World Coffee is largely frequented by the local liberals, and Bucers is associated with the church. This divide has toned down in recent years, but is still present. With all of the above said, this divide was really between two smallish subsets of the local population. I am good friends with people that were on both sides, and most of them can get along very well. Chalk most of what you've heard up to small town politics.

Quote:
I can't easily tell how big a deal this is but I guess it's there. I like Moscow a lot. I have property there. It's much less expensive there. From my visits, I don't like the hyper college students dominating wherever you go. They are loud, rude and obnoxious for the most part.?
If you don't like college students, Moscow may not be for you. I like the "life" they bring. If you choose to live in town, it is easy to find quiet neighborhoods and other areas they don't frequent. Students are mostly found on the west side of town, and on main street. I avoid the student residential areas, but love the main street area of downtown.

Quote:
Seems to be very few middle aged adults and very few restaurant entertainment options geared toward the adult. Where are all the professors hanging out? Do they all run home and sit in their libraries all night?
At 38, I think I qualify as a middle aged adult. I noticed few in their late 20s, but as I've gotten older their are more here around my age. I easily find both types of restaurants. If you go to a sports bar, or restaurant with cheap beer it will have a lot of students. Go to something above the price of cheap, and you get away from the rowdier students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM

64 posts, read 261,556 times
Thank you Keim. Very helpful. What are your favorite Moscow restaurants/bars?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM

I don't really hit the bars. I brew my own beer, and tend to have friends over when I want to drink socially. I'm told The Corner Bar is a popular non-student bar. Johns Alley is the place to go for live music at a bar.

My 3 favorite restaurants:
Sangria-They have a huge, and diverse menu. Mid priced.
West of Paris-Gourmet French cuisine. Expensive.
Gambinos-Pizza and Italian. Mid priced.

Also good:
The Breakfast Club
La Casa Lopez
San Miguels
The Red Door
Mikeys
Smokey Mountain Pizza
Coeu D'Alene Brewery

Incidentally, both Bucers and One World are very nice coffee shops.

Pullman also has some nice restaurants.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks so much Keim. I've learned some new things. I'll be in town next week and will try a few of your recommendations. Is your home brew as good as some of the better micro brews?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much Keim. I've learned some new things. I'll be in town next week and will try a few of your recommendations. Is your home brew as good as some of the better micro brews?
Well I AM biased...

But...

YES.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Keim, can you recommend a very good homebuilder? I want top quality. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Keim, can you recommend a very good homebuilder? I want top quality. Thank you.
When I had my basement finished a few years ago I used George Kunkel and his team at KACI construction, in Pullman. They were great to work with, on time and on budget. And you can easily check out their work for yourself. They remodeled the bottom floor of the 1912 Center (Old High School) located on 3rd St. It is open to the public every day.

I am also impressed with Jon Wheaton and Renovate Construction of Moscow.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
IMO Coeur d'Alene is very Californicated (I say this as a native-Californian). Tract homes and traffic are taking over the place, sadly. You don't see as much of that in Moscow.

Unclebigs, have you considered places outside of ID?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 AM

I've checked out the Flathead Valley in Montana, Bend/Sisters Oregon (very Californicated and rattlesnakes), Ashland, Oregon (Californicated and rattlesnakes), and a few others. I like the Flathead Valley but I want acreage and peace/quiet. Whitefish has the incessant trains going through and Kalispell is kind of nasty. Where have you liked?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
I've checked out the Flathead Valley in Montana, Bend/Sisters Oregon (very Californicated and rattlesnakes), Ashland, Oregon (Californicated and rattlesnakes), and a few others. I like the Flathead Valley but I want acreage and peace/quiet. Whitefish has the incessant trains going through and Kalispell is kind of nasty. Where have you liked?
I like that big place across the border from CDA. I live in Denver, and like it well enough (for a big city).

IMO the Flathead Valley is overrated. I haven't been to Bend since the invasion, but I've always liked Medford-Ashland, but I also see what you don't like about the place. Perhaps somewhere relatively undiscovered like Roseburg, Eugene, Albany, Salem, Longview or Centralia would fit the bill?

I like the I-90 corridor from Spokane to Missoula (appearance-wise), but I'd if I lived in any of the cities along there (again), it'd have to be in an established area, away from the newer homes and shopping centers. I like the road out of St. Regis along the river. I like US 2 from Spokane up to Sandpoint. I like US 395 from Spokane to Colville. I like US 95 from Sandpoint to Moscow, but despise US 195 from Spangle to where it ends. Not a fan of the WA desert either.

Depending on what kind of landscape you like and how much you want to spend, you might look in WY or CO as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho