Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:36 PM

28 posts, read 143,180 times

Advertisements

My hubby & a friend stopped in 1996 or 97 at a place called Tin Cup Pass..
He said it was an absolutely beautiful place.
However; because it's been so long ago while on a trip from NC to WA, he doesn't remember what state.

Can anyone out here give us an idea where Tin Cup Pass maybe located?
My hubby would like to see it again sometime when we are traveling...

Thank you in advance for any replies...

Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
It's actually in Colorado, by Cumberland Pass.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 AM

66 posts, read 309,239 times
Tin Cup Pass is in Colorado, Google tells me, although there is a Tin Cup area in Idaho too (Stanley Basin). It's unlikely you would have passed through the Idaho Tin Cup area on your way to or from anywhere, which is why I had to look--that was a puzzlement to me. :^ )

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
I think we saw a Tip Cup canyon / camp ground just south of Tetonia / driggs area last summer.
Beautifull stream and camping area.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM

28 posts, read 143,180 times
Thank you.... Mejaka and others..

They had taken a back road thru some areas they were unfamiliar with...not lost truly, as they were getting where they needed to go.. They said it was near a small reservoir
near a small town of 6 or so houses, gas/station/post office across the st a sheriff's office. Does this sound like the one in Idaho Mejaka?? A small cafe the owner waited on them was the wife of the sheriff.

Thank you....

Dee

Last edited by 4horseshoes; 02-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: to add info

Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
There is a Tin Cup campground and area north of Soda Spring Idaho heading towards the WY border. It has a creek, campground, secluded pretty area.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM

66 posts, read 309,239 times
The Idaho Tin Cup area I'm familiar with (in the Stanley Basin area) is not near any reservoirs, but is near lakes. The town doesn't sound familiar--too small to be Stanley and too big to be anything else in the area. Although--in 1996 Upper Stanley may have been that small, and parts of Stanley proper might not have existed (anyone know when the Merc went in, and all those tourist and guide places around it? I've been visiting the Basin my whole life but never bothered to go in to Stanley until the past decade or so--the Merc seemed newish compared to everything else although I doubt it was actually new inside).

Stanley Basin is pretty remote, not just a side trip--they'd have to have driven up through the wild center of Idaho. Both the Stanley Basin Tin Cup area and anything in the area of Driggs (in the Teton Valley) are beautiful, but both would be along that road, north and south of Galena Summit. Soda Springs can't be called beautiful except by the most imaginative. The Tin Cup area of Colorado isn't familiar to me, but some parts of Colorado are beautiful...

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,870 times
Default idaho and wyoming

Tin Cup is a pretty common place name, but the town you describe sounds very much like Freedom, Wyoming which is at the base of one very beautiful Tin Cup Pass. I agree with previous poster that Soda Springs itself is not the most beautiful town, but this area is quite beautiful and this little know shortcut (from Freedom, WY to McCammon, ID) happens to be the quickest route between Salt Lake City and Jackson, WY (Grand Teton & Yellowstone National Parks).

Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,006 times
I think the city in Idaho that they visited was Wayan (42.978 N and 111.376 W). It matches the description and is just before you climb to Tin Cup pass. (Not named on any map as it is what the locals call the pass. It is named for the "Tin Cup" metal salvage yard close to the WY boarder.) Wayan is just past Blackfoot Reservoir and Gray's Lake on Hwy 34 in Idaho. Hope that helps.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
We're higher end here in Priest River, we have Gold Cup rather than Tin Cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho