Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM

9,321 posts, read 11,072,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.

The first time I ever saw a gun was when I as a 16-year old was an exchange student in Virginia. My host dad proudly showed me an old family gun. I remember being extremely freaked out about the fact that I had to live in a house with a gun in it. At home I don't know anyone that have any kind of weapon - except for kitchen knifes and such. And yes, I'm a city-kid so I don't know anyone that hunts.

Having a rifle or such for hunting I get, it's the "I need to casually carry a weapon in case I might need to defend myself from a fellow man" I don't get. I might be extremely naive, but should we not try to minimize the amounts of weapons instead of making it okay to carry them around?

I hope this post is not viewed as too political by any means. I'm just fascinated by the cultural difference, and since I'm moving to Idaho I would like to know what I get myself into.

/joox
The Brits were armed to the teeth during the recent dust-up known as WWII. The French and all undergrounds similarly so.

Chairman Mao said power comes from the barrel of a gun. And Mao was all about power.
Remember, not all public "servants" have our best interests in mind.

That is why the founders, probably the wisest group in the planet's known history, put the 2nd and other nine amendments onto the Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Its funny the places that have more guns in the US have the least amount of crime.. Even in Europe the places that have outright banned guns have seen increases in crime.. An armed society is a polite society..
I think you should REALLY consider staying in Europe if your going to get freaked out anytime you see a gun...

Rock on Otter!
Britain has become a crime-riddled hellhole since taking the honest peoples' guns away.

Otter did a good thing, just remember these bills originate in the legislature.
Butch would probably have been tarred and feathered like The King and The Duke in Huckleberry Finn if he'd vetoed it, and he could kiss his career sayonara too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Too bad Butch is a twit.
He does have that look.

BTW, I sent him a letter a few weeks back asking him to request amendments to this bill either
A) Removing elected officials from their privileged place in not needing a CC license like the mere taxpaying voting mortals and proles or
B) Adding the mere taxpaying voting mortals and proles to the list of speshul people who can CC without a permit, by dint of their citizenship and lack of felonious baggage.

Haven't heard back. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Yeah, well...we also elected Larry Craig.
LC IIRC was once a staunch constitutional conservative to some degree.

I suspect his secret leaked out and the opposition applied pressure.

Oh my, I hope I haven't said anything he didn't want revealed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley50 View Post
I'm not the biggest Otter fan, but I can't beef him on this at all.
Me neither. But I like bobcats and lynx too.

Where's the beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Despite Craig's problems and stances on many issues, he was extremely powerful and actually very good for the state.

I guess that's the perk to electing the same people over and over again; at some point they become influential in Washington and they can get Idaho good things.
WAS is the operative word. His last few years he apparently got turned, and he looked very much like Democratic-Republican "Honest" John McCain.

BTW, I'm all for 6 years max for any elected official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_USMCVet View Post
I am brand new to these Forums, and enjoy what I've read so far.
Having lived in SoCal since 1967, with certain gaps due to military service, and a few years in Oregon; I no longer feel it is "home" to me. Our Government is so out of control it's scary. And the cost of living, well, EVERYONE knows how bad it is here. As for the XXX-Control issue: With all due respect to your cautionary discretion as Moderator, "Sage"; you should know that the recent passage of the FFA in your great State was the deciding factor in my choice to move to Idaho over many other potential States. My 2nd Amendment rights are just that important to me, and as the feds are finding out... the MAJORITY of Americans. I'd "tap" lightly on that issue if I were you.

Idaho! Got room for a retired Marine Corps Vet who is still willing to roll up his sleeves and do his part?
Ooo-rah, jarhead! Hooah! too.

Relating to the bill, who are the actual gun manufacturers in Idaho at present?

I've always thought a winning strategy for ANY pro-Constituion-state governator would be to attempt to lure away manufacturers from states like Connecticut, Taxachusetts, New York, New Joizey, Kaliforneeeeiaaa, etc., to come to their natural homes. Have yet to see that happen.

Maybe Butch's conservative successor will proceed in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,353,909 times
I have never thought too highly of Otter until he sued the Federal Government over the health care bill. He earned a lot of my respect for that. Other than that I do not think he has been good for Idaho, he is out of touch and too centered on industries that don't create job growth, and who wants to see their Governor in pants so tight you see his camel toe or moose paw? I really hope he does not win again. There is a certain female freak from the Boise area that is running and it would be a shame if she won, but I don't think she will, God help us all. Just seeing her pic makes people cringe.
There is also a crazy ass from the Idaho Falls area that wants the position, he adheres to deep, mystical Mormon dogma which the current day Mormon church hush's, so he will not win. He is better off loving his elk.

Idaho needs someone like Andrus or even Kempthorne back in office.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joox View Post
"...the right to keep and bear arms..." - This is one of the main reasons people think I'm crazy for moving to the US. I guess that as an European I just can't understand how (and why) it could/should be anyones right to carry weapons.

A cultural difference I bet, but I know it will be hard to get used to.

The first time I ever saw a gun was when I as a 16-year old was an exchange student in Virginia. My host dad proudly showed me an old family gun. I remember being extremely freaked out about the fact that I had to live in a house with a gun in it. At home I don't know anyone that have any kind of weapon - except for kitchen knifes and such. And yes, I'm a city-kid so I don't know anyone that hunts.

Having a rifle or such for hunting I get, it's the "I need to casually carry a weapon in case I might need to defend myself from a fellow man" I don't get. I might be extremely naive, but should we not try to minimize the amounts of weapons instead of making it okay to carry them around?

I hope this post is not viewed as too political by any means. I'm just fascinated by the cultural difference, and since I'm moving to Idaho I would like to know what I get myself into.

/joox
Joox, you asked an honest question in a polite manner and deserve a suitable response. There are people that are more eloquent than myself that would do a better job, but I'll take a shot at it.

First the US has a long history of respect for individual rights, it is something documented in our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The second amendment specifies that the rights of all citizens to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, though the definition of "infringed" is getting murkier by the day. That was for two primary purposes, first to ensure that individuals had the right to defend themselves from other individuals that would do them harm. I believe this came from British common law back in the day. The second purpose was to act as a limit upon the power of the government.

Many gun owners are strong supporters of their 2nd amendment rights. A great many others keep arms for recreation, target shooting is a lot of fun, plus they may be utilized for hunting purposes. In addition, many people keep and carry arms for defense against creatures, either 2 or 4 legged.

As far as your fear of guns, in your case, it's understandable since you were never raised around them. To a great many people here in Idaho, they are a tool, no more, no less. There is no inherant reason to fear a firearm any more than a hammer.

IIRC, roughly 10% of the Idaho population has concealed carry permits, every day I probably am around 10-20 people carrying but to date I have never seen one misused.

Once you get here and get settled, I hope you find someone to take you out for a day at the range. Familiarity eliminates a lot of fear, and you might find that shooting is a hobby you enjoy.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 PM

57 posts, read 175,128 times
Yup, I knew Idaho would be a good choice! Hubby and I are all for Second Amendment rights and suing the feds over that HC legislation. I won't say any more about either subject.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,976,453 times
I would like to own a gun myself. In ca if you have a gun in your car you best have the ammo in the trunk & the gun unloaded.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,819,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_USMCVet View Post
I am brand new to these Forums, and enjoy what I've read so far.
Having lived in SoCal since 1967, with certain gaps due to military service, and a few years in Oregon; I no longer feel it is "home" to me. Our Government is so out of control it's scary. And the cost of living, well, EVERYONE knows how bad it is here. As for the XXX-Control issue: With all due respect to your cautionary discretion as Moderator, "Sage"; you should know that the recent passage of the FFA in your great State was the deciding factor in my choice to move to Idaho over many other potential States. My 2nd Amendment rights are just that important to me, and as the feds are finding out... the MAJORITY of Americans. I'd "tap" lightly on that issue if I were you.

Idaho! Got room for a retired Marine Corps Vet who is still willing to roll up his sleeves and do his part?
I think you're missing the point slightly....

As a retired LA cop and now rabid North Idahoan, I am about as pro-gun as anyone on CDF. However, because of our Terms of Service, there are specific places for us to "cuss and discuss" national and international issues. The state forum is a place where opinion must be tempered with social decorum to be of any use to potential relocators.

So there is nothing wrong with "up with guns" threads, or explaining it to a guy who posts asking us about it. So the limitations I'm enforcing have nothing to do with my political views as a gun nut retired cop, and everything to do with the CDF terms of service about allowable public discourse.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 AM

599 posts, read 5,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Joox, you asked an honest question in a polite manner and deserve a suitable response. There are people that are more eloquent than myself that would do a better job, but I'll take a shot at it.

Familiarity eliminates a lot of fear, and you might find that shooting is a hobby you enjoy.
Toyman - Thank you for the balanced response. I know I should have known better than getting involved in the discussion. I have lived in the US enough times by now to know that this is one of the few topics I should not talk about. As I said I'm fascinated by the culture differences. That's all. I'm also aware of the different cultures within Europe. I just didn't know what the public opinion was in Idaho. And now I know - more than well.

To the rest of you that thinks I'm a crazy Swede women, I can inform you that a 16-year old girl that never have seen a gun in her life is bound to freak out a bit when the first thing her American host-dad does is to show her his gun. Being 16 and having a year abroad in a whole new country that speaks a strange language is scary enough. But rest assure, I had advanced PE in high school during my year as a exchange student, and thanks to that class I now have a hunting licence in the state of Virginia. (we had bb-guns target shooting as a part of the PE classes).

Sorry for stiring so many emotions with my previous post.

/joox -- the anti-gun Swede with a hunting licence

Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM

464 posts, read 1,109,342 times
My main problem with California gun laws is the ammo limits placed on magazines. My biggest fear is having some meth head breaking into my home with an "illegal" firearm. He has 16-18 rounds, I've got 10....hardly fair if you ask me. Then again, only law abiding citizens obey these asinine laws on "gun control" anyway.

In any case, the gun issue is the biggest reason for my desire to move to Idaho. I'm tired of feeling like a criminal because I'm a gun owner. You should see how people that visit my house or my neighbors reacted when they learned I was an avid gun owner. One family won't allow their children to play with my daughter at my house. lol It's just comical anymore... I am the only armed citizen in my neighborhood too(that I know of).

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,433,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
My main problem with California gun laws is the ammo limits placed on magazines. My biggest fear is having some meth head breaking into my home with an "illegal" firearm. He has 16-18 rounds, I've got 10....hardly fair if you ask me. Then again, only law abiding citizens obey these asinine laws on "gun control" anyway.

In any case, the gun issue is the biggest reason for my desire to move to Idaho. I'm tired of feeling like a criminal because I'm a gun owner. You should see how people that visit my house or my neighbors reacted when they learned I was an avid gun owner. One family won't allow their children to play with my daughter at my house. lol It's just comical anymore... I am the only armed citizen in my neighborhood too(that I know of).
Yep... Cali made us criminals... I didnt register any of my so-called assault rifles, and my wife carried concealed for about 10 years with no permit..
Cost of doing life in Cali...

Sorry Joox, in context I can see you being a little freaked out... But like Toyman said they are inanimate objects and much like a hammer can be used to do terrible things if a bad person has it in hand.. My son was raised around guns his whole life.. If I had guns out to clean them or whatever he looked at them like they were a cup of coffee on the table. They had no mystery attached.. He was FULLY aware of what they could do and like a hot cup of coffee you could be burned if you mishandled it..

As for Cali. get ready for another round of crappolla.. They want to register ALL long guns, and have a new ammunition ban/scam in the works.. Im am SOOOO glad to be outta that state..

Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM

464 posts, read 1,109,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Yep... Cali made us criminals... I didnt register any of my so-called assault rifles, and my wife carried concealed for about 10 years with no permit..
Cost of doing life in Cali...

Sorry Joox, in context I can see you being a little freaked out... But like Toyman said they are inanimate objects and much like a hammer can be used to do terrible things if a bad person has it in hand.. My son was raised around guns his whole life.. If I had guns out to clean them or whatever he looked at them like they were a cup of coffee on the table. They had no mystery attached.. He was FULLY aware of what they could do and like a hot cup of coffee you could be burned if you mishandled it..

As for Cali. get ready for another round of crappolla.. They want to register ALL long guns, and have a new ammunition ban/scam in the works.. Im am SOOOO glad to be outta that state..
Oh yeah, is that the "You cannot buy more than 50 rounds a month?" law they got in the works? sigh...

I won't carry concealed w/o permit...prefer not to go to prison for 5-10. I finish school Summer 2011...then Cali can kiss me arse good bye. I'm not even sure I'll want to come back to visit my family.

It's a smoothering thing. I feel like I am being crushed under the weight of government and I am having trouble breathing. I will never accept a nanny state ruling over my life...hopefully there will always be a place to move too to escape that bullcrap. Now if only I could find a way to opt out of social security and medicare taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho