U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 10,453 times

Advertisements

we - our family - is planning to move to the Pocatello/Idaho Falls area soon and need to rent for awhile ~ we like both areas! We are coming from Indiana so it is difficult for us to come out just to house hunt and want to rent to give us time to shop for a house.

any suggestions on how to locate a reasonable place to rent? We are a family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 teens plus our 2 dogs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:09 AM

4,959 posts, read 16,998,112 times
Renting with pets in either area is no easy task. I'd say close to 95% of the rentals do not allow pets. Check with real estate agents to get leads on those who own properties they won themselves and rent out, have documentation that the pets are fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered along with a statement from your current landlord.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,453 times
We have always been home owners, we have just sold our home and want to relocate. This is our choice to move to Idaho. It's been a rough personal 2 yrs. The economy cost my husband his job and now I get to choose where we live. I chose Idaho, he chose Pocatello!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM

27,210 posts, read 18,540,007 times
I can only speak from my single personal experience. I had to rent a house for about a year, and found one that suited well, but was a No Pets listing. I looked it over with the owner, and said I had a 10 year old dog who was very well housebroken. If the owner wouldn't mind, I would like to bring her over so he could check her out before I put down a deposit.

He agreed, and when he met my dog, asked for another $50, refundable, on my security deposit. In this case, a little face to face with me and my dog made all the difference. It might not work for you, but it's worth a try... folks out here love their dogs, and there are a lot of them.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 23,298 times
My wife and I are also moving to Idaho falls area very soon with 2 dogs, one rather large, lovable mutt and a smaller more house oriented dog . I would hate to have to live in the motel 6 for an extended amount of time due to the problem with finding a pet friendly landlord. Does anybody have any leads on a good property management company in the area?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM

287 posts, read 718,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyinfreak View Post
My wife and I are also moving to Idaho falls area very soon with 2 dogs, one rather large, lovable mutt and a smaller more house oriented dog . I would hate to have to live in the motel 6 for an extended amount of time due to the problem with finding a pet friendly landlord. Does anybody have any leads on a good property management company in the area?
Looking for the same. But we have 7 humans besides the 10 yr old dog and 3 yr old cat.

Not feeling terribly hopeful that we'll be able to bring all of us. I've found apartments that will accept indoor cats. But the cat is the one that would be easiest to leave behind. What do you do with a hairy, smelly but loveable 10 yr old Golden Retriever who is part of the family??

Old 05-19-2010, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 23,298 times
I feel for you Carlymac, I'll be prayin for you guys, Lord knows you have alot on your hands! As for me I'd rather live in a tent at a campground than get rid of my dogs!!! I think it's really a matter of money when its all said and done. I think a hefty deposit would sway most landlords and property managers, I just hope they aren't to greedy.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 AM

12 posts, read 22,181 times
Hi all, my husband just rented a small cottage that accepts pets, took a lot of rejection or very shabby places before finding this little gem.

However, in this latest challenge he found out from a bank teller that the way around the "no pets" is to get a doctors statement saying that your pet is for medical reasons, ie, stress, or whatever you can think of that a register physician will sign off on.

We did not do this, but thought it might help the other dog mum + dads out there !!!

The journey never ends ....

See you in Idaho,

SteveTheDog's Mum

Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 PM

287 posts, read 718,580 times
Very clever but I doubt we could come up with a legitimate medical need for our critters. If anything they are causing us stress.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,314,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
Very clever but I doubt we could come up with a legitimate medical need for our critters. If anything they are causing us stress.
Maybe their DVM could write a note about the stress reaction of the animals being separated from you, Carlymac.

Boy, I see a real opportunity for someone who owns property and is trying to carve out their own niche. Rentals for people with pets.

I like what Banjomike did. .. Very resourceful. Perhaps more would be workable with meeting the animals. Are you looking for a house or apartment, carlymac? I think a realtor is the way to go.

Good luck

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho