Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 56,591 times

Advertisements

Looking for some information on a town called Orofino? I believe it's close to Moscow, which I understand is very pretty - trees, mountains, rivers. Would this be the same as far as scenery goes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,583 times
Type in Orofino,Idaho in Google and several links come up with pictures. I like Orofino and the Clearwater river is beautiful. We are not all that fond of living in a canyon. Guess it is all in an individuals tastes. It really is pretty with trees. And there are places up on top that are more open. Again what we are used to. Over all I think Orofino is a nice town. Not too far from big shopping in Lewiston. And there is local shopping in Orofino. I think they have pretty nice weather there too. As fas as schools and all I do not have a clue since we do not have children. Jobs I do not know that either since we are for the most part retired.

Chris

Old 08-07-2006, 02:48 PM

291 posts, read 709,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevation
Looking for some information on a town called Orofino? I believe it's close to Moscow, which I understand is very pretty - trees, mountains, rivers. Would this be the same as far as scenery goes?
Moscow and Orofino are as drastically different as could be! I simply cannot imagine anyone voluntarily moving to Orofino.

Orofino has beautiful areas north, south and east of it. But Orofino sits in the bottom of a hot, dry canyon 1500 feet lower than Moscow. The major employers in town are the old state hospital, the prison, and a mill. It has the Clearwater Nat'l Forest HQ, which is ironic as even a pine can't survive in that town unless you water it. But it sure does have a river, which Moscow doesn't! And if you go up that river, the further you go from Orofino, the prettier it gets, and you won't find any reason to ever turn back!

North Idaho is beautiful, but you did pick the one place in it no one goes to, only though, preferably without stopping!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 56,591 times
THANK YOU!!!!!! I really appreciate the direction on that one!! I'll keep heading North!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 AM

9 posts, read 35,837 times
Default Town of Orofino

This maybe posted too late seeing the date of the last post.
We had planned to move to Orofino, so I am going to say some positives about the town. I loved it! We walked the town (on several different days)and everyone was so friendly, and it was surrounded by trees! It is after you head west out of Orofino that you quickly lose the timber and get into prairie land. I love the drive over the bridge across the Clearwater river and come into town. I liked the way that every way you looked from town all you saw were timber covered mountains. It may not be tourism central, but I liked that too. The groceries in town are a bit on the pricey side, but it's just a 30-40 min. drive to Lewiston and they have what you need. The only thing that we didn't like was the housing prices!! A trailer on 5 acres--$180,000!! What's with that!? Where I come from you could hardly sell that for $95,000. But rent is very reasonable. I also noticed alot of young people smoking. I hope the town will soon address that problem if it hasn't already.
The only reason we are not moving is we couldn't get our house to sell, and my husband has about decided that we can't find anything affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho