Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times

Advertisements

More benefits of low humidity:
  • Clothes on the line dry in a jiffy.
  • My curly hair doesn't frizz out like Roseanne Roseannadanna's
  • I don't feel like I'm breathing through a wet, hot blanket.
  • Your body can actually cool itself by sweating rather than just having the sweat sit on your skin and make you feel gross.
  • I have far fewer allergies in low humidity
  • it doesn't smell like swamp gas outside
For all other problems there is lotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 AM

420 posts, read 1,193,332 times
One year in Texas and two years in Missouri did it for me. I don't miss the hot, wet, closed in feeling, summers in both of those places caused. I will take the Panhandle any day of the week. However it does get hot during the summer. Especially out in the middle of the Columbia Tractor lot looking at toys.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 AM

It does get hot! We've had several summers here in which the temps have been at or a little over 100. At least the nights cool down rapidly because of the dryness. It seems it rains till right around the 4th of July and then the weather dries up. By the time it rains again in September, things have gotten a little dry and brown.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 93,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's typically only humid east of 100° W longitude, which goes down the center of the Great Plains. IMO, North Idaho is a little more humid than your typical bone-dry places, but not even close to how the Midwest/East feels. A good (but not the best) balance IMO.

Commiefornia: The Black Hills are not humid.
David - or anyone else - Do you happen to be familiar enough with the Black Hills area to tell me what if anything is different about the climate between the Black hills and North Idaho? I am still checking out both locations. Mike

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done with Commiefornia View Post
David - or anyone else - Do you happen to be familiar enough with the Black Hills area to tell me what if anything is different about the climate between the Black hills and North Idaho? I am still checking out both locations. Mike
I'd say at the very least....in the Black Hills you'll have much more wild temperature swings and less defined seasons (not-so-freak snow in Mar/Apr/May, some mild Jan/Feb days, etc).

I'll post some stats shortly.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I'd say at the very least....in the Black Hills you'll have much more wild temperature swings and less defined seasons (not-so-freak snow in Mar/Apr/May, some mild Jan/Feb days, etc).

I certainly wouldn't say that snow in Mar/Apr/May are freak events in north Idaho. In June, yes but not the preceding months.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 93,914 times
Quote:

Thanks, I'll take any information you have. Have you lived in both places??? I am not sure if the wild temperature swings are a good or bad thing, frankly. I guess it seems like it might break up the monotony (or maybe it will drive you nuts, hmmm. ) Is there a lot of difference between the two places in how cold it gets in winter, or how long the winter is, other than of course the fact that it may snow occasionally in March, April, or May. Also, is there more for a family to do in one location or the other?? Sorry for all of the questions! Mike

Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Rapid City, SD:
-July High, 85.5°F
-January Low, 11.3°F
-16.64 inches of precipitation, concentrated mostly in late spring-summer
-41.1 inches of snow, snowiest month is March (I knew it would be )

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../sd/396937.pdf

Coeur d'Alene, ID
-July High, 82.6°F
-January Low, 22.1°F
-26.07 inches of precipitation, fairly well dispersed over the year, but concentrated in fall/winter
-46.0 inches of snow, snowiest month is January.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../id/101956.pdf

There are local variations of course in each region (for example, I know Deadwood, SD gets something like 100+ inches of snow).

The Black Hills seem to follow a "East of the Rockies" climate, with wide daily temperature variations, more sun, snow in March/April (with it presumably melting relatively fast all winter long), and summer T-storms.

North Idaho looks to be more typical "four seasons" with gradual temperature fluctuations (both daily and yearly), more evenly spread precipitation, very snowy (but comparatively short, but perhaps more harsh) winters, and nice/sunny summers (I can vouch for the NID summers )

Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I certainly wouldn't say that snow in Mar/Apr/May are freak events in north Idaho. In June, yes but not the preceding months.
I was referring to the Black Hills in my comment about that. Out here east of the Rockies, real winter doesn't start until March!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Rapid City, SD:
-July High, 85.5°F
-January Low, 11.3°F
-16.64 inches of precipitation, concentrated mostly in late spring-summer
-41.1 inches of snow, snowiest month is March (I knew it would be )

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../sd/396937.pdf

Coeur d'Alene, ID
-July High, 82.6°F
-January Low, 22.1°F
-26.07 inches of precipitation, fairly well dispersed over the year, but concentrated in fall/winter
-46.0 inches of snow, snowiest month is January.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm.../id/101956.pdf

There are local variations of course in each region (for example, I know Deadwood, SD gets something like 100+ inches of snow).

The Black Hills seem to follow a "East of the Rockies" climate, with wide daily temperature variations, more sun, snow in March/April (with it presumably melting relatively fast all winter long), and summer T-storms.

North Idaho looks to be more typical "four seasons" with gradual temperature fluctuations (both daily and yearly), more evenly spread precipitation, very snowy (but comparatively short) winters, and nice/sunny summers (I can vouch for this one ).

I've never lived anywhere that I could go by the above kind of charts. Our winters tend to be long. This one was mild but we had a little snow 2 days ago. More farther south. Our temps can and do frequently fluctuate 40-50 degrees daily. Not much humidity to moderate the temps. We've had several instances of -30 degree days in winter and over 100 seval times in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho