Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,766 times

Advertisements

I know this forum is old, but these posts always crack me up. "I really like the area because it is beautiful, cheap, low crime, rural, and more free than where I come from".."but the whole religious, conservative thing bothers me because I am a progressive liberal, not wanting to force my ideals on anyone..except that I need an active community that supports me".
There is a reason it's cheap..low taxes (conservative), there is a reason it's beautiful..people who own land take care of it (conservative), there is a reason it has low crime..statistically conservative "churchy" areas are safer..If this is what you like, consider changing your ideals..
I live in Portland, which is the exact opposite..high taxes, not really churchy, not really safe, pretty beautiful ( if you are allowed to use your own "public" land at all in the future). I don't expect to change it here..I will someday move to N Idaho and "come home" if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

343 posts, read 454,863 times
I grew up in BF but haven't lived there for quite some time. There is definitely a strong church presence, but I don't think you needed to be a part of a church to be considered a part of the community. It seemed to me at the time it was quite a bit more libertarian conservative than christian conservative. This may have changed since I left. i remember the Praise Church being strong.

At any rate, the dominant culture I remember was how working-class it was. If you liked outdoors than it is more socially acceptable to like hunting and fishing vs. mountain biking, climbing, kayaking, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 AM

37 posts, read 81,812 times
Sandpoint is much more liberal friendly than Bonners Ferry. You probably would not like Priest River, either. That said, I know that there are liberals in Bonners. For me the most irritating thing is that nearly everything is closed on Sunday, and during the rest of the week everything shuts down very early, except for Safeway, etc. I think the Mennonite store, which I really like, closes at 2 pm on Saturday.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM

148 posts, read 501,071 times
I like the idea that stores are closed on Sunday in Bonners. If I need something real bad I can drive to Sandpoint. The biggest reason stores are closed is for family time and church and theres nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

37 posts, read 81,812 times
I think I could deal with everything being closed on Sunday if it weren't for the tendency for closing extra early every other day as well. It seems to work for the people who live there and for early birds; I don't really perform well until 1 or 2 pm, so it doesn't work for me. Not knocking it, just saying that I personally wish there was at least one coffee/espresso place that was open on weekends and after 5 on weekdays.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 AM

148 posts, read 501,071 times
The county commissioners did give the approval to open the liquor store on sundays. Too bad quality farm and fleet closing and Boundary Electric. Two more reasons to drive to Sandpoint.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,766 times
I like the idea of things closing on Sunday as well FD. Call me old-school, but there is nothing wrong with taking a day of rest every week. We plan on vacationing up in Idaho very soon, can't wait!! Out of the city, and into the mountains!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

291 posts, read 669,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptdesigner78 View Post
I know this forum is old, but these posts always crack me up. "I really like the area because it is beautiful, cheap, low crime, rural, and more free than where I come from".."but the whole religious, conservative thing bothers me because I am a progressive liberal, not wanting to force my ideals on anyone..except that I need an active community that supports me".
There is a reason it's cheap..low taxes (conservative), there is a reason it's beautiful..people who own land take care of it (conservative), there is a reason it has low crime..statistically conservative "churchy" areas are safer..If this is what you like, consider changing your ideals..
I live in Portland, which is the exact opposite..high taxes, not really churchy, not really safe, pretty beautiful ( if you are allowed to use your own "public" land at all in the future). I don't expect to change it here..I will someday move to N Idaho and "come home" if you will.
One of the best written posts I've read on this Forum, congatulations! And every word of it so true!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM

28 posts, read 67,574 times
This thread convinces me that Bonners Ferry is the right choice for us. Love that it is a religious, conservative area. We chuckled when we last visited as someone cautioned us that it was "a very blue collar area". PERFECT! Hard working people who take pride in their homes and close down on Sunday for God and family.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM

16 posts, read 30,430 times
Ah yes...Bonners Ferry, home to many traditions, is a Magical place where we reserve Sundays as a Sacred time. Come to visit, to stay. Join one of the many circles of drummers and dance around the bonfires to worship skyclad. Potluck, bring a dish to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho