Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkmd View Post
hmmm, looks like I might need to invest in a backhoe
It's often referred to as the 3S solution.

Shoot
Shovel
Shut up

Having said that, I'm not clear on the legality of shooting wolves attacking pets. I just know what would happen on my place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
You go out in the woods, sh** happens. Dog went out in the woods. Bear could have got him just as easily. I sort of thought that was the point.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Has there been any wolf attacks on humans in recent years? That is something that will undoubtedly happen.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 PM

20 posts, read 37,210 times
In a recent case in Alaska, a female shoolteacher's death was officially attributed to wolf attack. Sorry I don't have all the details, but an internet search sould bring up the story.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
There was also a fatality in Canada about a year ago as well.

The whole introduction thing bothers me since it was done over the protests of the vast majority of residents living in more rural areas. You know, the people that would actually be impacted by it. On the other hand, I would think the odds of a run-in with moose, bear and cougar would be as much or more of a concern.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
20 years ago, running into a Moose, Bear or Cougar is part of the natural expectations of going out into the wild. Now we have to contend with wolves too.

I only camp in National Forests nowadays because you can open carry there in California. No way you'd catch me in one of the cookie cutter camp grounds in this state. I'd hate myself if I had a one in a million run in with a Mountain Lion without a firearm on me. lol Though I intend to visit Yosmite before I move to Idaho...lived here for 28 years, you'd think I'd been there at least once...

Couple of stories real quick - about why its good to carry a gun in the wild. The first is about my old boss from a long time ago. He was out hunting one early morning - still dark out. He was stalking some buck he'd caught a glimpse of. He was on the side of hill in the bushes and he hears a rustling on his hill coming straight at him. It turned out to be a bear that was just lumbering through the bush. The bear walked right into my boss and stared down the end of a rifle barrel not 6 inches from the bears nose. My boss swears the bear looked at him, then the gun and slowly backed away with its head down. After about 10 feet or so, the bear turned and ran like hell. Funny story I thought...I wonder how the bear would have reacted had he been some unarmed hiker? lol

Second story, my brother-in-law was camping - out in the national forest - and he got up at about 3am to go wee wee. He, being hung over, dropped his pants down around his ankles and was having a good go at it. A branch crackled just beyond the tree line to his side, he flashed his light on the noise and spooked the mountain lion that had been eyeing him as a potential meal. My brother-in-law pulled his pants up and yanked his .45 out and fired blindly into the woods. lol He didn't hit jack, but he didn't sleep the rest of the night.

Moral of these stories? Better to be armed than not to be armed. What does this have to do with wolves? Nothin'.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM

20 posts, read 37,210 times
Great anecdotes!!

Get this: NE Oregon now has several packs of wolves. Some local ranchers have had problems losing livestock, traced to wolf predation. The game department's solution? They collared a wolf suspect with a transmitter that causes a siren to go off if the wolf approaches the ranch perimeter again.Then the rancher can run outside yelling "Shoo, wolf! Shoo!" to protect his stock. Must be a small spread...I swear I am not making this up! I wish I was.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM

99 posts, read 317,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDoe View Post
Great anecdotes!!

Get this: NE Oregon now has several packs of wolves. Some local ranchers have had problems losing livestock, traced to wolf predation. The game department's solution? They collared a wolf suspect with a transmitter that causes a siren to go off if the wolf approaches the ranch perimeter again.Then the rancher can run outside yelling "Shoo, wolf! Shoo!" to protect his stock. Must be a small spread...I swear I am not making this up! I wish I was.
That should work just fine. Wolves don't hear well though. The rancher should use amplification to shoo the wolf away. About .308cal worth should do, .223 in a pinch.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Another liberal asinine program intended to put wildlife interests ahead of human interests. I am all for preserving wildlife, but I'd prefer getting rid of anything that could EAT ME....freakin' morons I tell ya.

We should put all the dumb asses that got these wolves released in the wild in a tent in the middle of wolf country and say, go frolick!

As a dog lover, this story just pisses me off to no end!
I don't really have a dog in this hunt, so to speak, but as somebody whose primary residence is rural Oklahoma with coyotes, several species of poisonous snakes etc, I guarantee you that if your dog, or your livestock, gets attacked/killed by a predator it is most likely YOUR fault for not paying attention to what is going on around you.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 PM

37 posts, read 81,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDoe View Post
Some believe the whole wolf reinfestation is a scheme to GET RID of wildlife--with no game animals, and nothing to hunt, then the hunters will quit, and get rid of their guns....
Sure, because the only reason to have wildlife in north Idaho is so you can kill it an eat it...or, just kill for the thrill of killing. Everyone knows that animals were only put here for us to kill.

Therefore, any other species that interferes with our interests, however slightly, must be eradicated, and if efforts are made to preserve or reintroduce it, it must be a gooberment plot. Yup, yup, pass another beer, Bubba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho