Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM

851 posts, read 3,627,617 times

Advertisements

I don't care what private companies do, but as government, they must not use anything but English. If they put Spanish, I would like to see Chinese, Japanese, Hindu, Germany, Russian etc. etc.

Since I don't see any other language, especially not my first language, I feel very discriminated.

Do you think I can sue the government for discrimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
There is no official language nationwide, but federal law mandates the printing of ballots in a langugage other than English if 5% or more of a given area speaks that language. There are also other laws with regards to courts, immigration, etc.

It's wasteful as all getout. If you as a voter cannot speak English, either bring your own interpreter at YOUR expense, or don't vote! The amount of money we spend as a nation to accomodate non-English speakers is just beyond the pale--in both government and education. Bilingual education is the biggest joke ever. In some areas, they provide whole subjects (history, science, etc.) taught in another language, at the local level--and it raises costs for all of us. Confine the whole mess to ESL (English as a second language, for legal immigrants, not illegal aliens) on a limited basis...and be done with it!

If a private business wants to provide materials in other languages for their customers, that is quite another matter. It doesn't cost us as taxpayers.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,107,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Are you asking, or do you know? and what does the "Official" language of the US have to do with "illegal Immigration"?
I was stationed at the border town of El Paso Tx (Ft Bliss) back in the mid 70's. The majority of El Paso residence were at that time Mexican American. The overwhelming majority of EP residence spoke english in public. You never heard press one for english, press two for spanish. I never encountered a non english speaking Hispanic employee in a business establishment like a store, restaraunt, fast food, etc. Illegal immigrants were a rarity back then. Even in El Paso. My point being America is not so much catering to Hispanics because of legal immigrants it is because of so many illegals.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
If it's English, why do so many government sites have both English and Spanish?

This annoys the hell out of me!!!
English is not the official language of the USA. There is no official language.

Not everybody that is legally here speaks English. Cubans who are granted green cards upon arrival are a perfect example.

Not everybody that is illegally in the USA speaks in Spanish. Plenty of Mexican/central American illegal immigrants who came to the USA as children can't speak Spanish very well. Also plenty of illegal Africans, Jamaicans, Canadian, British speak English as a mother tongue.

If it annoys you then you have the option not to read it. Don't click on those Spanish Links. Don't torture yourself. Spanish is my mother tongue and I don't even click on those links myself, you shouldn't either.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
My husband who speaks German as his first language is in Paris for a conference and he got into an argument with some jerk at the front desk of the hotel he's staying in because my husband attempted to converse with him in ENGLISH! The guy argued with my husband and told him TO HIS FACE that he wouldn't help him because HE DIDN'T SPEAK FRENCH!

Now try that garbage here in the USA there'd be a lawsuit on that company so fast their heads would spin off their shoulders!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My husband who speaks German as his first language is in Paris for a conference and he got into an argument with some jerk at the front desk of the hotel he's staying in because my husband attempted to converse with him in ENGLISH! The guy argued with my husband and told him TO HIS FACE that he wouldn't help him because HE DIDN'T SPEAK FRENCH!

Now try that garbage here in the USA there'd be a lawsuit on that company so fast their heads would spin off their shoulders!
Certainly you are not suggesting that the French are somebody we should be generally trying to emulate?

Let no irony go unsmelted.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
English is not the official language of the USA. There is no official language.

Not everybody that is legally here speaks English. Cubans who are granted green cards upon arrival are a perfect example.

Not everybody that is illegally in the USA speaks in Spanish. Plenty of Mexican/central American illegal immigrants who came to the USA as children can't speak Spanish very well. Also plenty of illegal Africans, Jamaicans, Canadian, British speak English as a mother tongue.

If it annoys you then you have the option not to read it. Don't click on those Spanish Links. Don't torture yourself. Spanish is my mother tongue and I don't even click on those links myself, you shouldn't either.
Well, in that case, why does the federal government require me to speak English in order to become a citizen?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Well, in that case, why does the federal government require me to speak English in order to become a citizen?

What next? Will Laraza sue to change that?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Are you a naturalized citizen?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
The official language of USA?

Spanglish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration