Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,341,435 times

Advertisements

Migrants sell up and flee Arizona ahead of crackdown - Yahoo! News

Someone better tell them they're not welcomed here either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,576,536 times
LOl. Houston is such a sanctuary city it's painful.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,394,278 times
Houston, LA and San Francisco want them anyway, so they come !

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,087,918 times
aahh remember the pc word is "evacuees"

Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
aahh remember the pc word is "evacuees"
yeah, but most the "evacuees" were legal Americans. Those fleeing the law.....not so much

Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,087,918 times
it was just a bit of sarcasm

Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,613,850 times
It used to be "Give me your tired, your poor". In exchange, immigrants, many illegal at Ellis Island as it would have been impossible to legally process so many people, did the hard work. Sure, many such as my grandpa were deterred by signs that read "Irish, Jews, Italians need not apply" but they kept their heads up and plodded along.

In today's America, the slogan should be changed to "Thanks for doing the hard work, now get the hell out!"

So many people talk about how America has gone to hell in a hand basket due to the profane music, drugs, promiscuity of our youth and so forth. If you want a true example of the country going down, it's this legislation, which gives zero regard to the effects it will have on families both legal and illegal. It allows for racial profiling and is a step back towards before the days of civil rights.

When times were good, politicians and businesses encouraged illegal immigration. Now that times are tougher, they want them to go home.

And before you ask, what do I propose we do? Give those that are here right now amnesty. They deserve it.

After this, get all our troops out of all these countries halfway across the world and have them guard the border. While we guard the border, work something out with Mexico.

We encouraged them to come. It escapes me who said this, but somebody was quoted as saying, "When we encouraged Latinos to come to our country, we wanted workers. What we wound up with is people".

It astounds me how many people in what is supposedly the greatest nation on earth has lost sight of this fact.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,789,199 times
You think the business owners who hire and profit from the illegals are mostly liberals? Ha.

I dont have a problem with dealing with illegals but the choke point is with business hiring not forcing every cop to become an immigration agent and force them to racially profile citizens thats just stupid.

I mean imagine the cops having every white person under suspicion every time you left the house and pulling you over to check your birth certificate. Imagine cops patting you down and checking your papers and treating you like a criminal with your kids watching in the car when you're taking them somewhere.
If this was directed at whites it would last a month tops. Just un-American this law.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,668,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
You think the business owners who hire and profit from the illegals are mostly liberals? Ha.

I dont have a problem with dealing with illegals but the choke point is with business hiring not forcing every cop to become an immigration agent and force them to racially profile citizens thats just stupid.

I mean imagine the cops having every white person under suspicion every time you left the house and pulling you over to check your birth certificate. Imagine cops patting you down and checking your papers and treating you like a criminal with your kids watching in the car when you're taking them somewhere.
If this was directed at whites it would last a month tops. Just un-American this law.
You obviously know nothing about the actual law. This law would not entitle police to juts pick up every brown person and check their immigration status. The only thing that will change is that immigration status will be questioned if the person has been apprehended for something else, something Houston (a "sanctuary" city) could learn from, since we don't question immigration status whatsoever.

But let's not beat around the bush here: the vast majority of illegal immigrants in America come from a very similar background, so racially profiling wouldn't be all that bad as long as it isn't overt. I know that while in Mexico I was racially profiled many times by the police when they come on the buses and check everyone's papers.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,341,435 times
I for one won't be giving a warm welcome to any illegal that shows up trying to mow my lawn over the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration