Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 AM

346 posts, read 710,330 times

Advertisements

Few people on the side of pro-illegal immigration and/or anti-Sb1070 have put up valid, logical arguments. Once dissected, their arguments are nothing more than throwing the wonderful "race card". It seems that nobody understands the impact of illegal immigration. It's as if they think that all illegal aliens are honest, hardworking, and family-oriented people. They seem to forget about drug smugglers and coyotes that illegally transport people across the border. They forget about the threat of sickness brought by people not checked for diseases, something all LEGAL immigrants are checked for.

They are cracking down on people being in this country illegally who are taking jobs away from unemployed low-skilled Americans and especially (people seem to forget this cohort) TEENAGERS, who have an unemployment rate of 25%. They are also cracking down on employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. What more can Arizona do? Why is the federal government suing Arizona over this? Because it's a "Draconian" law?

For those of you who have not read the law, a drivers license relieves you of any "reasonable suspicion" of being an illegal immigrant. Therefore, if you are pulled over for a lawful reason and show your drivers license, which you normally do anyways when pulled over, you'll be fine. If you don't have a license, then that's only 1 factor of what constitutes "reasonable suspicion" (others being if you have many people in your automobile, don't speak English, seem nervous, etc.)

It's pathetic how many times many of us here need to drill this into stubborn liberal heads. We can say this over and over again but you'll still have the same ignorant people coming into this message board whining about how the police will pull you off of the street, beat you, spit on you, and ask you for papers if you are brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM

364 posts, read 497,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Here is the Supreme Court ruling.

I guess a Supreme Court ruling for the very same issue would have some relevence, even for liberals

DE CANAS V. BICA, 424 U. S. 351 - Volume 424 - 1976 - US Supreme Court Center - USSC Cases - Nolo
You need to read the full opinion in De Canas. It sets the standard test for preemption.

There is not case law regarding making unlawful presence a state crime because NO state has done it before.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Few people on the side of pro-illegal immigration and/or anti-Sb1070 have put up valid, logical arguments. Once dissected, their arguments are nothing more than throwing the wonderful "race card". It seems that nobody understands the impact of illegal immigration. It's as if they think that all illegal aliens are honest, hardworking, and family-oriented people. They seem to forget about drug smugglers and coyotes that illegally transport people across the border. They forget about the threat of sickness brought by people not checked for diseases, something all LEGAL immigrants are checked for.

They are cracking down on people being in this country illegally who are taking jobs away from unemployed low-skilled Americans and especially (people seem to forget this cohort) TEENAGERS, who have an unemployment rate of 25%. They are also cracking down on employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens. What more can Arizona do? Why is the federal government suing Arizona over this? Because it's a "Draconian" law?

For those of you who have not read the law, a drivers license relieves you of any "reasonable suspicion" of being an illegal immigrant. Therefore, if you are pulled over for a lawful reason and show your drivers license, which you normally do anyways when pulled over, you'll be fine. If you don't have a license, then that's only 1 factor of what constitutes "reasonable suspicion" (others being if you have many people in your automobile, don't speak English, seem nervous, etc.)

It's pathetic how many times many of us here need to drill this into stubborn liberal heads. We can say this over and over again but you'll still have the same ignorant people coming into this message board whining about how the police will pull you off of the street, beat you, spit on you, and ask you for papers if you are brown.
Have you read the DOJ complaint? I do not see anyone talking about the actual contents of the case. Please everyone read the pleading here http://www.justice.gov/opa/documents/az-complaint.pdf

I've stated since this law was signed, even before being amended that preemption would (or at least should) cause the law to fail.

The complaint is based on preemption and the conflict between SB 1070 and Federal immigration laws.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,590,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Have you read the DOJ complaint? I do not see anyone talking about the actual contents of the case. Please everyone read the pleading here http://www.justice.gov/opa/documents/az-complaint.pdf

I've stated since this law was signed, even before being amended that preemption would (or at least should) cause the law to fail.

The complaint is based on preemption and the conflict between SB 1070 and Federal immigration laws.
Yet, “preemption” is ignored by the government when cities and states declare themselves as “sanctuaries” for illegals in flagrant violation of federal immigration law. It’s perfectly fine to usurp the feds to accommodate illegals, but it’s an issue of preemption when a state enacts a law to actually enforce immigration law. Total BS.

This is only CA. The list of sanctuaries nationwide is too long to post. Just Google.

California is a state with many sanctuary cities and basically the entire state is one large sanctuary

Watch video. . .

Sanctuary for illegal immigrants - msnbc tv - The Ed Show - msnbc.com

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,789,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Alright. I'm tired of people talking trash about AZ and stating a bunch of BS about things they are clueless about.

What do you even know about Arizona? Have you lived here? Have you visited here? Do you just read and create ignorant posts and racial comments online about Arizona?

I strongly suggest you not make yourself look like a fool by spouting out things you seem to not know anything about. Why not come out of hiding behind your computer and come experience some of what Arizonans experience such as: drug smuggling (on the news almost every day here), murder associated with drug smuggling, automobile thefts (I've had one stolen - it ended up south of the border), kidnappings (on the news almost every day here), hit and runs (no valid license, insurance), human smuggling, rape, robberies, etc. All of this happens here and is prevalent because of our unsecure borders and STILL, Arizona does not resemble anything like what you are describing in your hateful posts. We don't see cops running around checking the status of people, we still see a proud community of Latino citizens who ARE happy they live here and get along with what you like to call us "whites". Here's another tidbit for you to swallow...Had McCain (who serves AZ) not ran for President in the last election, AZ most likely would have turned a blue state. AZ is not a backwards state like you wish to portray it to be. It's also not just filled with retirees. Phoenix is one of the youngest cities in the country.

The impetus for AZ enacting this bill was because the federal government failed to follow through with its own law (which the AZ one mirrors), they haven't responded to requests (even when Napolitano herself was governor) to bring more security to our border, they haven't paid the bills that AZ has sent them for educating, incarcerating, etc. the illegal immigrants in our state, which SHOULD be the federal govt's responsibility since it is THEIR law.

I understand that you wish AZ would build it's own border, but have you really taken into consideration that it might just be a good idea to secure that border to perhaps ensure we do not have terrorists coming and going through it freely? That most certainly would affect even someone like you who lives in MA I would think, but maybe that's just not important to you.
All I need to know is that it's a desert, adjacent to a foreign nation. That has seens a fanatical growth in population thanks to the availability of the air conditioner, over the past 40 years. That it's majority popualtion is 50/60 somethings who could retire earlier than the average.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
All I need to know is that it's a desert, adjacent to a foreign nation. That has seens a fanatical growth in population thanks to the availability of the air conditioner, over the past 40 years. That it's majority popualtion is 50/60 somethings who could retire earlier than the average.
I see, so you black out from your mind all the problems that Arizona has had via illegal immigration cause its no big deal?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,760,666 times
Quote:
Quote:
Arizona is the biggest gateway into the U.S. for illegal immigrants. The state is home to an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants — a population larger than that of entire cities such as Cleveland, St. Louis and New Orleans.

Over the past three years, Border Patrol agents have made 990,000 arrests of immigrants crossing the border illegally in Arizona, or an average of 900 a day. The figures represent 45 percent of all arrests of illegal immigrants along U.S. borders.

The volume of drugs coming through the Arizona border is also eye-popping. Federal agents seized 1.2 million pounds of marijuana last year in Arizona. That amounts to an average of 1.5 tons per day.

Phoenix has also been dubbed the kidnapping capital of the U.S. amid a surge of extortion-related abductions tied to drugs and human smuggling. The city has averaged about a kidnapping a day in recent years — some resulting in torture and death. Victims' legs have been burned with irons, their arms have been tied to the ceiling, their fingers broken with bricks.
Kidnappings, Home Invasions Sparked Ariz. Law

Quote:
With its numbers right behind Mexico, Phoenix is the number two kidnapping capital of the world.

Why should we care if drug traffickers kill each other? First of all, the victims of kidnappings and deaths are not all drug smugglers or illegal immigrants. Many are innocent people, often family members, friends, or bystanders. Second, the violence affects all of us through increased (or decreased) availability of drugs on the street, the increasing potency of the drugs (and higher profits to the traffickers), and spillover effect to communities and towns around those initially affected. If we don’t care, and don’t act, to curb this lawlessness, drug- or immigration-related kidnappings and violence threaten to spread far beyond Phoenix – maybe even to your city or town.
Phoenix Number Two Kidnapping Capital as Drug Cartel Wars Intensify | Drug Addiction Treatment

Quote:
About 3,500 acres of southern Arizona along the Mexican border is closed to U.S. citizens due to increased violence in the region.

The closed off area stretches 80 miles along the border and includes part of the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge. It was closed in October 2006 "due to human safety concerns," the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday in response to news reports on the closure.

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu told Fox News that violence against law enforcement officers and U.S. citizens has increased in the past four months, further underscoring the need to keep the 80 miles of border land off-limits to Americans.

The refuge had been adversely affected by the increase in drug smugglers, illegal activity and surveillance, which made it dangerous for Americans to visit.
FOXNews.com - Uptick in Violence Forces Closing of Parkland Along Mexico Border to Americans

Yep, nothing in Arizona but retiring snowbirds.....

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,190,572 times
Quote:
Boy are you C L U E L E S S.

When you stop learning, you stop growning and you start dying. Don't say nobody ever told you that.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yet, “preemption” is ignored by the government when cities and states declare themselves as “sanctuaries” for illegals in flagrant violation of federal immigration law. It’s perfectly fine to usurp the feds to accommodate illegals, but it’s an issue of preemption when a state enacts a law to actually enforce immigration law. Total BS.

This is only CA. The list of sanctuaries nationwide is too long to post. Just Google.

California is a state with many sanctuary cities and basically the entire state is one large sanctuary

Watch video. . .

Sanctuary for illegal immigrants - msnbc tv - The Ed Show - msnbc.com
That isn't preemption and there is no legal status of sanctuary city. If the Federal government passes a law requiring assistance and inquiry of status by LLE, then we would be on the same page.

As of now, it is widely understood that immigration is the baliwick of the feds. We've seen numerous statutes and props set back (Prop 187, Hazelton, PA) and even the law in Prince William County, VA that some cite as similar to 1070 had to be amended to comply with federal regulations.

Since at least 1996 more power as been given to local authorities.

The court must decide if it will go with precedent and enjoin AZ from enacting the law, or if it will legislate from the bench and continue to expand the authority granted to the states.

I would bet that the law is struck down or required to be amended. The complaint is straightforward, but maybe we'll see judicial activism in this case.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,760,666 times
What is the big deal about showing ID? I'm a legal American citizen and I must show my ID when:

1. Pulled over by the police.
2. Making purchases on my department store credit card.
3. When I show up for a doctor's appointment.
4. When filling out a credit card or loan application.
5. When applying for or renewing a driver's license or passport.
6. When applying for any kind of insurance.
7. When filling out college applications.
8. When donating blood.
9. When obtaining certain prescription drugs.
10. When collecting a boarding pass for airline or train travel.
11. When purchasing beer/liquor

Why should people in this country ILLEGALLY, be exempt? It's the LACK of legally obtained identification that would trigger probable cause. If one is driving in the U.S., one has to have a state drivers license BY LAW! I don't know about you, but driving on the road with tens of millions of unlicensed, uninsured drivers doesn't really thrill me all that much. I've already lost one vehicle and two months work due to injuries suffered after being broadsided by an illegal alien (who walked away scot-free by the way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration